9 | Erling Haaland - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anonymous tonight.
What do you expect from a striker against a low block with both centre backs on him? The space was not there for him in this game. That’s ok. The space was on the edge of the box where we scored from. We have 11 players on the pitch and different games are going to allow different players opportunities to do something.

Was optimistic for him after the first 20 mins but Grealish and Silva rarely took any risks to take on their full back and potentially lose the ball. The goal Madrid scored in transition from left back shows why!

Stood up to Rudiger, keep it up.

Criticism of him is pretty harsh but I understand the sentiment. I would challenge you and say he still played his part, his run off the ball created space for Kev to fire home.

If he keeps two centre backs occupied at the Etihad the others will have fun if we can shift up the pitch and pass it around a bit quicker. And if he can only have a better game than he did last night that’s also an exciting prospect.

Nearly every picture of Thugida v Haaland shows Haaland being physically held back. Yet the thug gets away with it just like last year when he should have been sent off for assaulting Kev

We saw it with Aguero and Jesus before. Haaland can't do much if the supply's not there. Although I imagine some tactical whizz could probably argue he occupied defenders well enough to give our midfielders more time.
Don’t need to be a tactical whizz to see that he kept the thug away from everyone else

Nearly every picture of Thugida v Haaland shows Haaland being physically held back. Yet the thug gets away with it just like last year when he should have been sent off for assaulting Kev

Players have been getting away with it in every single game. For some reason, referees seem to think it's a legitimate tactic for defenders to wrap both arms around Haaland and pull him away from the ball.

Until these start getting called consistently, I genuinely think he could take a leaf out of Michail Antonio's book. His trademark is getting into physical duels with centre backs, using all of his strength for about three or four challenges in a row, letting the defender know they're in a physical battle and then going down like a sack of shit the next time because the defender has gone in thinking it's going to be a scrap. Referees fall for it every single time.

I love that Erling loves a physical challenge and plays through contact but unfortunately it's going to be a losing battle until officials start calling for fouls when he's simply being grappled trying to receive the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.