9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

Van Djik's approach to that move was exemplary. That's why he's still one of the best defenders in the game. That said, I honestly think that 22/23 Haaland would have beaten Van Djik and scored in exactly the same situation. He's falling a long way short of his performances last season imo.
Missed a good chunk of the season through injury and is still trying to get back up to full speed and despite that 29 goals from 33 appearances is not to be sniffed at.

Haaland's workrate in midfield is almost non-existent week in, week out. He's not a particularly good footballer, just a red hot striker.
When he's not scoring, he's very ineffective.
Kane is at the very least a good all-round footballer.
To be fair Harry Kane as 23 was a striker getting farmed out to Championship clubs, with serious question marks if he could make it at the top level.

He developed into that superb footballer and goalscorer, it took time.

Haaland is young and has a hell of a lot to learn, he was shocking at Anfield but I do wonder how fit he really is since that injury, which was also probably a lot more serious than has been stated.

Last edited:
I thought he played well personally. Took up some good positions, held it up well and laid it off when he needed to. The issues we had re ball retention were nothing to do with him. His workmate is not as high as someone like Nunez but if it was he wouldn't score as many goals.

I agree to disagree. One striker isn't better than the other and if anything Haaland has achieved a lot more in his short career despite his percieved deficiencies.We don't need extra creativity or our striker to run around like a lunatic we just lack the finish. Haaland's golden chance was well defended by van Dijk.
"our striker to run around like a lunatic"

Very true but we need all our front line pressing hard on the defenders, something we used to be the very best at but no longer.

I was gutted we didnt get Kane. All round offers so much more.. better passer better finishes..all round 2 the CF but i still love Haaland's attitude
I agree about Harry Kane as a footballer, his all round game is better than Earliing's. Haaland cost us 51 million and is 23 Kane would have cost us over double that and is 31. Haaland every time for me.

I agree about Harry Kane as a footballer, his all round game is better than Earliing's. Haaland cost us 51 million and is 23 Kane would have cost us over double that and is 31. Haaland every time for me.

I hope Haaland improves his all around game like Kane sooner.

Every footballer who comes to City says the same thing: they look, they learn. They become better footballers. (Well, maybe not Kalvin. I think he was just a bit terrified when he saw the level that's taken for granted, in training, on match days).
That's not just Pep. It's the general coaching staff. It's the medical set-up. It's the training facilities. It's the team-mates, above all.
Erling looked simply invisible on Sunday. I think he was my greatest disappointment. But he will look, he will learn, and he will get better. That's virtually a certainty (did pretty well last year, to be fair).

I have weighed that up and i do think we are a couple of seasons stop gap for Erling IF he keeps smashing records. This is where his 5 v Luton reserves helps (Tim Kruhl in nets bloody 'ell) if they don't scrutinise who he scored against too much we could see a £150m sale to Real Madrid which is great business. BUT i would rather have had Kane for 3 years - cost us more but i think we would be a better team to watch and would likely win more. His control, hold up play etc. would have been much needed v Dippers. He can play with his back to goal, lead the line, drop deep and play balls akin to KDB, a genuinely gifted lad AND no one can fault his attitude and professionalism. Pep's dream player in terms of character, a proper leader by example. Ahh well lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.