96 years ago this sunday.1st july 1916.

RIP a former member of my cricket club, 2nd Lieutenant Harold Lomas, 20th Manchester Regiment (5th City Pals) who died, at Fricourt, shortly after going over the top at 2.30pm on 1 July 1916 at the battle of the Somme. The 20th had been stood to for 7 hours and had been planned to be sent in at 10.30am but had to wait until 2.30. Knowing that thousands had already died, they were reported to be in a cheerful mood as they were sent to their deaths.

Lomas, who was too old to be called-up and living in America, left behind his wife and two young daughters in Baltimore when he volunteered.

Braveness on a scale that we can't comprehend.

saleblue67 said:
RIP a former member of my cricket club, 2nd Lieutenant Harold Lomas, 20th Manchester Regiment (5th City Pals) who died, at Fricourt, shortly after going over the top at 2.30pm on 1 July 1916 at the battle of the Somme. The 20th had been stood to for 7 hours and had been planned to be sent in at 10.30am but had to wait until 2.30. Knowing that thousands had already died, they were reported to be in a cheerful mood as they were sent to their deaths.

Lomas, who was too old to be called-up and living in America, left behind his wife and two young daughters in Baltimore when he volunteered.

Braveness on a scale that we can't comprehend.

This ^

panzer1311 said:
Everybody at sometime in their life must visit the Menin gate at Ypres , and the Thiepval memorial ....... I've been three times now and sense of loss gets me every time ....

I went there whilst travelling to a football tournament in Belgium when I was about 14, it still sticks in my mind now some 26 years later

charliebigspuds said:
panzer1311 said:
Everybody at sometime in their life must visit the Menin gate at Ypres , and the Thiepval memorial ....... I've been three times now and sense of loss gets me every time ....

I went there whilst travelling to a football tournament in Belgium when I was about 14, it still sticks in my mind now some 26 years later

What school did you go to? I went to Belgium playing football then.

the old abbey said:
The anniversary of the battle of the somme.before anyone says is this relative to a football forum,for the following reasons it is.how many of our supporters that stood on the terraces at hyde rd perished that day.a question for gary james is did we lose any players that day? Maybe the manchester regiment or the lancashire fusilliers? We must of done.some of the young shavers on ere probably lost great grandads or great great grandads and probably are not aware of it.so too all the fallen of our brothers.lest we forget.mcfc.

My Grandfather James Brooks was in the Royal Marines, and he fought at Galipoli and on the Somme, where he was gassed. He survived the Great War and died in the early 1950's of emphysema caused by the "mustard gas". I never met him, but because of him and people like him, I can enjoy a free life which includes watching Manchester City.

British and Imperial soldiers went into action at 7.30am on 1 July 1916. By 9.00am the main action was over. 20 000 "tommies" were dead or dying of their wounds and a further 40 000 were missing, wounded or prisoners. Those isolated were trying to get back to their own lines for days after. My grandfather was one of those who survived with "only" psychological scars. He never talked much about the Somme or much else from the war, apart from a few stories of comradeship and quite sanitised events. He was transferred to prisoner of war guard duty in summer 1918 after recovering from pneumonia (Spanish 'flu?) caught at the front. He lost two brothers as did my grandmother. My wife's grandfather was a territorial in 1914 and served all through, unscathed as far as we know.

My grandfather was from Leeds, but was brought to live in Manchester sometime around 1900. He was a regular at Hyde Road, hence the name I chose to post under. He went to the cup finals of '55 and '56 but couldn't go much as the '50s came to an end. He died in 1960 of lung cancer, having survived many of his "pals" by nearly 50 years.

My wife and I go to Belgium most years and go to the last post at the Menin gate every time. It's impossible, even now, to be British and not go if you're over there.

Copied from the internet, one day I would like to witness this event.

Every night at 8.00pm (20:00 hours) a moving ceremony takes place under the Menin Gate in Ieper.(Ypres)
Some evenings, particularly in summer, there are large crowds of visitors. At other times, on a weekday or in winter, the pavements under the memorial can be empty - though that is becoming rare now. In any case, every evening the busy road through the memorial is closed to traffic shortly before the ceremony.
Just before 8 o'clock the Buglers stand ready. The traffic is stopped from passing through the Gate and the Buglers then make their way to stand in the centre of the Hall of Memory at the eastern entrance of the Menin Gate Memorial.
For a few moments the noise of traffic ceases and a stillness descends over the memorial. At exactly 20:00 hours up to six members of the regular buglers from the local volunteer Fire Brigade step into the roadway under the memorial arch. They play Last Post, followed by a short silence and then play Reveille.

On some occasions the ceremony may be extended. Visiting individuals and groups may lay a wreath and there may be music by bands, choirs, orchestras, or a parade by Standards and military personnel.

The Last Post Ceremony has become part of the daily life in Ieper (Ypres) and the local people are proud of this simple but moving tribute to the courage and self-sacrifice of those who fell in defence of their town.

droylsdenblue said:
Copied from the internet, one day I would like to witness this event.

Every night at 8.00pm (20:00 hours) a moving ceremony takes place under the Menin Gate in Ieper.(Ypres)
Some evenings, particularly in summer, there are large crowds of visitors. At other times, on a weekday or in winter, the pavements under the memorial can be empty - though that is becoming rare now. In any case, every evening the busy road through the memorial is closed to traffic shortly before the ceremony.
Just before 8 o'clock the Buglers stand ready. The traffic is stopped from passing through the Gate and the Buglers then make their way to stand in the centre of the Hall of Memory at the eastern entrance of the Menin Gate Memorial.
For a few moments the noise of traffic ceases and a stillness descends over the memorial. At exactly 20:00 hours up to six members of the regular buglers from the local volunteer Fire Brigade step into the roadway under the memorial arch. They play Last Post, followed by a short silence and then play Reveille.

On some occasions the ceremony may be extended. Visiting individuals and groups may lay a wreath and there may be music by bands, choirs, orchestras, or a parade by Standards and military personnel.

The Last Post Ceremony has become part of the daily life in Ieper (Ypres) and the local people are proud of this simple but moving tribute to the courage and self-sacrifice of those who fell in defence of their town.

I would love City to get a draw in Holland or Belguim in the Cl to spend a few days round the Somme before the day of the game

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.