96 years ago this sunday.1st july 1916.

the old abbey said:
My grandad won the dcm.distinguished conduct medal.2nd only to the victoria cross for great gallantry and devotion to duty near cambrai sep to nov 1918.salford lad and theres a picture up of him in pendleton legion.luckily he survived.never forget the somme.

top man, glad he survived! can't you get the pic copied so you've got a photo as well

The most humbling experience of my life was when I visited the Thiepval memorial, they say every family in the UK has a name on that building, I defy anyone if you go not to have a tear in your eye when you visit.... RIP brave soldiers whatever team you supported.

the old abbey said:
My grandad won the dcm.distinguished conduct medal.2nd only to the victoria cross for great gallantry and devotion to duty near cambrai sep to nov 1918.salford lad and theres a picture up of him in pendleton legion.luckily he survived.never forget the somme.

if you don't already have it i can dig out his citation for the dcm. i just need his name and regiment. pm me if you want.

laserblue said:
the old abbey said:

if you don't already have it i can dig out his citation for the dcm. i just need his name and regiment. pm me if you want.
Thanks for that but i already have it.

laserblue said:
the old abbey said:

can you do it for the MM pal??

salfordpaul said:
laserblue said:
the old abbey said:

unfortunately, except on extremely rare occasions, citations for the mm in ww1 weren't issued. they were issued routinely for ww2 though.

laserblue said:
salfordpaul said:
laserblue said:

unfortunately, except on extremely rare occasions, citations for the mm in ww1 weren't issued. they were issued routinely for ww2 though.

AKA the citation was sent with the medal and not published or centrally recorded. Might be copied in a local paper at the time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.