A decline in the quality of fresh produce. Discuss

Two Gun Bob

Aldi don't always get it right, but then again neither do Tesco, Sainsburys or Lidl's. All a consumer can do is have a little nibble, and if it doesn't tastes good then don't buy again. Lots and lots of Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, Asda products please the palate, but a heck of a lot more in these current climes don't meet the basics.

Every corporate man and his dog is cutting corners, trying to fleece the general public in order to maintain margins in a challenging marketplace, by stealthily reducing pack sizes and erring non favorably on the quality of our produce.

I get that truly I do, but when they start pissing around with our fresh produce it really grates the auntie, as we are paying more than we ever did before.

Many years ago we decided to only purchase free range eggs due to the abominable conditions battery hens were housed. Yes they cost a lot more, but everyone who's an eggy knows they also taste a better than a battery laid egg.

So concentrating on fresh produce how many of you are noticing a decline in quality?

We just did a combined Iceland Tuesday shop for their 10% OAP discount, combined with a Tesco Plus 10% off shop, with a quick nip into Aldi's for Tonic water, gin, their Aldi finest black pepper crackers and a few other incidentals that had escaped our immediate attention.

Whilst there we bought a 2kilo pack of chicken breast at £6 the kilo for use in our Coleman Big Night In Chicken Kebabs served up on Deli Kitchen Greek flat breads with crucial garlic mayonnaise.

So we get the gear back home and imagine our consternation when we started cutting up the Aldi chicken breast.

I know that plumping's used via water injection and I know that all birds are not treated equally in terms of animal husbandry, owing to the fast turnaround from egg to kill rate of under a month, but this was taking the proverbial.

From now on we will only use M and S Gold reared which using their Hubbard bird variety that is known for slower growth rates. The M and S chicken is not excessively priced compared to the usual market gear of £6 a kilo and can easily be bought in at £9 the kilo. I had some today for tea and they were beyond the delicious!

Based on our own portion sizes, using 250 g a person, the balance to pocket for an M and S Hubbard bird would only be 75 pence a portion more than mainstreams pumped up, plumped up, fast grown, run of the mill anomaly's.

Small price to pay considering the fibrous, woody, chewy, sinewy, vain riddled monstrosities below that we were sold.

ATATQuk.jpg

82garnh.jpg

zYk5NG0.jpg

eB61nb3.jpg

Look after your birds retailers. Its not that difficult
wgI29Ke.jpg

Last edited:
A friend was a director for a company in the meat industry. His company had factories in Stoke, Hull and Shap
I asked him what the difference was between an M&S chicken and a Kwicksave chicken?
His answer, the packaging

He said that you watch the production line running and chickens of a certain size with no blemishes are packed for M&S, then you get the mid range for Sainsbury/Asda/Tesco, then whatever was left all of various size and blemishes to the discounters

Aldi don't always get it right, but then again neither do Tesco, Sainsburys or Lidl's. All a consumer can do is have a little nibble, and if it doesn't tastes right then don't buy again. Lots and lots of Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, Asda products please the palate, but a heck of a lot more in these current climes do not meet the basics.

Every corporate man and his dogs cutting corners, trying to fleece the general public, in order to maintain margins in a challenging marketplace by stealthily reducing their pack sizes, and also erring on the quality side of things.

I get that truly I do, but when they start pissing around with our fresh produce it really grates the auntie, as we are still paying the same or even more than we did before.

Many years ago we decided to only purchase free range eggs due to the abominable conditions battery hens were housed. Yes they cost a lot more, but everyone who's an eggy knows they also taste a better than a battery laid egg.

So concentrating on the fresh meats and animal produce how many of you are noticing a decline in quality?

We just did a combined Iceland Tuesday shop for their 10% OAP discount, combined with a Tesco Plus 10% off shop, with a quick nip into Aldi's for Tonic water, gin, their Aldi finest black pepper crackers and a few other incidentals that had escaped our immediate attention.

Whilst there we bought a 2kilo pack of chicken breast at £6 the kilo for use in our Coleman Big Night In Chicken Kebabs served up on Deli Kitchen Greek flat breads with crucial garlic mayonnaise.

So we get the gear back home and imagine our consternation when we started cutting up the Aldi chicken breast.

I know that plumping's used via water injection and I know that all birds are not treated equally in terms of animal husbandry, owing to the fast turnaround from egg to kill rate in under the month, but this was taking the proverbial.

From now on we will only use M and S Gold reared which using their Hubbard bird variety that is known for slower growth rates. The M and S chicken is not excessively priced compared to the usual market gear of £6 a kilo and can easily be bought in at £9 the kilo. I had some today for tea and they were beyond the delicious!

Based on our own portion sizes, using 250 g a person, the balance to pocket for an M and S Hubbard bird would only be 75 pence a portion more than mainstreams pumped up, plumped up, fast grown, run of the mill anomaly's.

Small price to pay considering the fibrous, woody, chewy, sinewy, vain riddled monstrosities below that we were sold.

ATATQuk.jpg

82garnh.jpg

zYk5NG0.jpg

eB61nb3.jpg

Look after your birds retailers. Its not that difficult
wgI29Ke.jpg
I refuse to buy Aldi meat. You cannot sell it at such a cheap price without filling the chicken with growth hormones, keeping it in shit conditions and then, when dead, filling it full of water.
M&S are dearer but if you want to eat decent meat, a local butcher or M&S is the only way.
Don't forget Tescos sold beef that turned out to be donkey. They'd approached a supplier in Ireland, he contacted Spain who in turn contacted someone else, eventually a Bulgarian (I think) slaughterhouse sent them donkey ..... and Tescos sold it.
They said they didn't know

Last edited:
A friend was a director for a company in the meat industry. His company had factories in Stoke, Hull and Shap
I asked him what the difference was between an M&S chicken and a Kwicksave chicken?
His answer, the packaging

He said that you watch the production line running and chickens of a certain size with no blemishes are packed for M&S, then you get the mid range for Sainsbury/Asda/Tesco, then whatever was left all of various size and blemishes to the discounters
I have heard this argument Dickie many times over on the Reddit, but M and S only use the Hubbard bird in their gold range ? It s a slower growing bird not dissimilar to the Sasso, used for table poultry and said that the better taste comes with slightly firmer meat and intramuscular fat. To get this, you need active birds tha are marginally slower reared. At least another 4 weeks I think for the Hubbard variety?

I have heard this argument Dickie many times over on the Reddit, but M and S only use the Hubbard bird in their gold range ? It s a slower growing bird not dissimilar to the Sasso, used for table poultry and said that the better taste comes with slightly firmer meat and intramuscular fat. To get this, you need active birds tha are marginally slower reared. At least another 4 weeks I think for the Hubbard variety?
So M&S have two varieties of chicken, Hubbard and standard!
It would make sense for a company such as M&S to market a quality range and an "everyday"

I would never buy Meat from a Supermarket ever -save perhaps Bacon. There’s all sorts of ex Supermarket Employees warning against buying Meat from them on You Tube etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.