A Different Language

PhuketBlue said:
Used Linguaphone for 2 or 3 languages and I find it the best self- teaching material for a good grounding. The Colloquial series is also pretty good.

Try to supplement with night classes, find somebody online for conversation classes or language exchanges to give you more realistic speaking practice. Then go live in a country where that language is spoken.

The above worked for me and I now speak a number languages fluently and others to a reasonable level.

The greatest help is always living in a country where the language is spoken as you are immersed in the language and have the motivation to keep going when things get tough.

Of course if you just want to live and work abroad, there are ways of doing that without necessarily having knowledge of any language other than English.

meeting a beautiful spannish godess is my dream ;) haha

il try all of the above! i have a few spanish friends so i can ask them to help and that!

When I was learning spanish (lost my motivation at the moment), I used Rosetta Stone and chatted to people in spanish on <a class="postlink" href="http://lang-8.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://lang-8.com/</a>.

If you need help finding the.. err.. best deals on Rosetta Stone (any language - I have loads and have used German + Japanese on the side for a little while), let me know.

JGD6CTID said:
Thinking of learning Spanish and was wondering if any from the off topic (or bluemoon) world has learn a new language and what way did you learn it?

A tutor or a online programme or computer software?

Would love to learn a new language and once I have i may learn another as I am sick of the english language and it could help me massively in my job too!!

When I was a baby I couldn't speak any language... however, purely by listening to my parents etc, I picked up English in no time... within the first 1-2 yrs I could recognise and repeat quite a few words and a couple of years after that I was pretty fluent.
So I learnt to speak a new language within 2yrs when I was just an infant, so I'd have thought an adult would have no problem in learning a new language within a couple of weeks.

blumoonrises said:
JGD6CTID said:
Thinking of learning Spanish and was wondering if any from the off topic (or bluemoon) world has learn a new language and what way did you learn it?

Would love to learn a new language and once I have i may learn another as I am sick of the english language and it could help me massively in my job too!!

When I was a baby I couldn't speak any language... however, purely by listening to my parents etc, I picked up English in no time... within the first 1-2 yrs I could recognise and repeat quite a few words and a couple of years after that I was pretty fluent.
So I learnt to speak a new language within 2yrs when I was just an infant, so I'd have thought an adult would have no problem in learning a new language within a couple of weeks.

in theory this could work.........

JGD6CTID said:

I moved to France and picked it up as i went along. Certainly not grammatically correct but could have conversations after 2 months. Carry a little phrase book and refer to it whenever needed

I would suggest if you have the cash is to travel to a spanish speaking country and dive in feet first, 99% of the time if you try you will get a good reaction which inturn boosts your confidence.
My wife is Brazilian so I had to learn Portuguese as none of her family speak English. I went to language schools, cds etc etc and while these are good you have to put time aside everyday which is hard. I travelled to Brazil for 3 months and learned more in that time than i ever learned from a classroom or cds over a 2 year period,having said that I had a good base learning at schools and listening to cds. All in all if you can do all 3 that would be great.
Have fun its great learning another language and the birds just drool over youre English/ spanish Portuguese accent hahahah.. and Brazil is a great country to visit if you wish to learn Portuguese, people are very friendly, they love a partyyyyyyyy, and the women are so so beautiful. VIVA BRAZIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JGD6CTID said:

PhuketBlue said:
Used Linguaphone for 2 or 3 languages and I find it the best self- teaching material for a good grounding. The Colloquial series is also pretty good.

Try to supplement with night classes, find somebody online for conversation classes or language exchanges to give you more realistic speaking practice. Then go live in a country where that language is spoken.

The above worked for me and I now speak a number languages fluently and others to a reasonable level.

The greatest help is always living in a country where the language is spoken as you are immersed in the language and have the motivation to keep going when things get tough.

Of course if you just want to live and work abroad, there are ways of doing that without necessarily having knowledge of any language other than English.

I'm taking it Phuket that one of those languages is Thai. If so, well fucking done pal.

Spent roughly 2/3 months there and learnt 2 words

Falang = foreigner
Mao = drunk

Is it right that the same word can have 5 totally different meanings due to tone and pitch?

mcmanus said:
[
Is it right that the same word can have 5 totally different meanings due to tone and pitch?

Yes, that's quite true.

The sentence "Mai mai mai mai mai" (pronounced with the correct tones) actually means "New wood doesn't burn, does it?"

MTAM said:
Rosetta Stone (<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rosettastone.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rosettastone.co.uk/</a>) is some software that you may want to look at, I have the Spanish version on my PC at the moment but my microphone is busted so I haven't been able to use it properly. Also, I've heard that Pimsleur (<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pimsleur.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pimsleur.com/</a>) can be quite good but I've never really used it.

I've seen that advert, I'm now fluent in saying I want red apples you twat not white ones.

i live in spain and speak spanish, and i really think the only way to learn the language fluently is to live in the country.

books and courses and tapes, etc, are all good for learning the basic words and basic phrases, but you get to a point with them where you can´t go much further. the content doesn´t really reflect accurately how people actually speak, either. i´ve also got the rosetta stone package and i honestly do not recommend it! like i said, with none or basic knowledge, its okay, but if you´re wanting to become fluent, it´s crap. a few weeks ago i listened back to the CDs and it´s laughable. about how to buy apples and ask for plates in a restaurant.. not really what people talk about in ´real´ life!

i moved here 2 years ago. i had a spanish A-level under my belt, had a few spanish friends, talked on chat rooms, had been on many holidays to spain, and had read SO many grammar and textbooks, thinking i was prepared, but i can honestly say that i did NOT have a clue!

if you´re looking for a change of lifestyle... spain is definitely the place! ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.