A HG Keeper

Although it seems logical what is being overlooked is the possible contribution Willy may/has had on Joe... as he may of been a good partner in training, helping develop his skills?
And also with Willy's standard it may of contributed to Joe upping his own game so he isn't replaced in the starting 11 (as previously witnessed)

Would you really up your game/maintain a set standard when your only competition in your place is Rob Green and Richard Wright?
Yes Rob Green is actually a decent keeper but for me doesn't have that european experience like Willy does (having spent time in La Liga)

I just reckon we wait until Angus Gunn is given loan time somewhere, and bring him back as Joe's backup.
He's looked really promising (although at EDS level)

Although it seems logical what is being overlooked is the possible contribution Willy may/has had on Joe... as he may of been a good partner in training, helping develop his skills?
And also with Willy's standard it may of contributed to Joe upping his own game so he isn't replaced in the starting 11 (as previously witnessed)

Would you really up your game/maintain a set standard when your only competition in your place is Rob Green and Richard Wright?
Yes Rob Green is actually a decent keeper but for me doesn't have that european experience like Willy does (having spent time in La Liga)

I just reckon we wait until Angus Gunn is given loan time somewhere, and bring him back as Joe's backup.
He's looked really promising (although at EDS level)
Agree with you on the Caballero point. Joe knows how much Pellegrini rates him and he knows he won't hesitate to drop him if he starts making mistakes again. I think this has been crucial to his return to form.

Time to sell Caballero, promote Gunn and sign Marshall or Westwood

Say we do that. Marshall would be our 4th homegrown player so, from a Champion's League perspective, that would make any subsequent homegrown player we signed identical to a foreign player (in as much as we'd need to include them in one of the 17 "unconditional" squad spots). If we aren't looking to add another homegrown player then that's fine, however the failed Delph bid would lead me to believe we are. Westwood would be club trained, so from that perspective, a sensible move. However he couldn't get a game at Sunderland behind Vito Mannone, so ability wise he's clearly not good enough for City. As I said above, would you want Westwood to play regularly for City in the event of a Hart injury? You play the gambling game a little with your backup keeper, betting on your number 1 staying fit means you can short change the number 2 position, getting someone cheaper in, however the cost if it backfires can be huge (does anyone remember Marton Fulop?!).

I think the other main problem with any plan is that we want a keeper who is good with his feet. That and homegrown don't really go together, at all.

Also, Marshall isn't homegrown, no idea why people are mentioning him. Scotland isn't England

Say we do that. Marshall would be our 4th homegrown player so, from a Champion's League perspective, that would make any subsequent homegrown player we signed identical to a foreign player (in as much as we'd need to include them in one of the 17 "unconditional" squad spots). If we aren't looking to add another homegrown player then that's fine, however the failed Delph bid would lead me to believe we are. Westwood would be club trained, so from that perspective, a sensible move. However he couldn't get a game at Sunderland behind Vito Mannone, so ability wise he's clearly not good enough for City. As I said above, would you want Westwood to play regularly for City in the event of a Hart injury? You play the gambling game a little with your backup keeper, betting on your number 1 staying fit means you can short change the number 2 position, getting someone cheaper in, however the cost if it backfires can be huge (does anyone remember Marton Fulop?!).

@Matty point taken, Westwood would seem the best option as home grown. If the worst case ontario occurred then would Westwood be good enough - that I can't answer. Perhaps it's a question of, if it aint broke don't fix it! We should have moved fast for Clyne leaving Sagna surplus to requirements but that opportunity is passed. We could be in a position come the end of the window when we will need to get creative.
  1. Willy Caballero
  2. Aleksandar Kolarov
  3. Bacary Sagna
  4. Eliaquim Mangala
  5. Martin Demichelis
  6. Pablo Zabaleta
  7. Vincent Kompany
  8. Fernando
  9. Bruno Zuculini
  10. Fernandinho
  11. Jesus Navas
  12. Samir Nasri
  13. David Silva
  14. Yaya Toure
  15. Sergio Aguero
  16. Stevan Jovetic
  17. Edin Dzeko
  18. Wilfried Bony
  19. Paul Pogba
  20. Kevin De Bruyne
that's 20 foreign players if we sign Pogba and De Bruyne, so we would need to move on Dzeko and Jovetic and loan Zuculini??
If we can't move those 3 then I would expect the individuals not highlighted blue as most likely to have their position in squad jeopardized?

Hart shouldn't need Caballero.

Schmeichel, Seaman, Shilton, Banks etc. didn't need someone pushing them. They pushed themselves.

@Matty point taken, Westwood would seem the best option as home grown. If the worst case ontario occurred then would Westwood be good enough - that I can't answer. Perhaps it's a question of, if it aint broke don't fix it! We should have moved fast for Clyne leaving Sagna surplus to requirements but that opportunity is passed. We could be in a position come the end of the window when we will need to get creative.
  1. Willy Caballero
  2. Aleksandar Kolarov
  3. Bacary Sagna
  4. Eliaquim Mangala
  5. Martin Demichelis
  6. Pablo Zabaleta
  7. Vincent Kompany
  8. Fernando
  9. Bruno Zuculini
  10. Fernandinho
  11. Jesus Navas
  12. Samir Nasri
  13. David Silva
  14. Yaya Toure
  15. Sergio Aguero
  16. Stevan Jovetic
  17. Edin Dzeko
  18. Wilfried Bony
  19. Paul Pogba
  20. Kevin De Bruyne
that's 20 foreign players if we sign Pogba and De Bruyne, so we would need to move on Dzeko and Jovetic and loan Zuculini??
If we can't move those 3 then I would expect the individuals not highlighted blue as most likely to have their position in squad jeopardized?

If we sell Jovetic and Dzeko, and buy De Bruyne and Pogba, we'd still need to offload someone else, as there's no way we enter this coming season with Aguero, Bony and Sterling as our only striker options. Sterling isn't really a striker anyway, we'd need to add at least 1 striker in that scenario. I suspect Kolarov's place is insecure, however we'd need another left back if he was sold. Equally, I'd be happy to see Sagna shipped out, but I suspect his wages would prohibit that. Plus, as with Kolarov, we'd need a replacement right back anyway. Nasri, I believe, will be safe, akthough I wouldn't be too disheartened if he was sold. Navas is possibly under some danger, but it would leave us with just Sterling as a wider option.

If we sell Jovetic and Dzeko, and buy De Bruyne and Pogba, we'd still need to offload someone else, as there's no way we enter this coming season with Aguero, Bony and Sterling as our only striker options. Sterling isn't really a striker anyway, we'd need to add at least 1 striker in that scenario. I suspect Kolarov's place is insecure, however we'd need another left back if he was sold. Equally, I'd be happy to see Sagna shipped out, but I suspect his wages would prohibit that. Plus, as with Kolarov, we'd need a replacement right back anyway. Nasri, I believe, will be safe, akthough I wouldn't be too disheartened if he was sold. Navas is possibly under some danger, but it would leave us with just Sterling as a wider option.

I'll wait till the end of the pre-season tour to be certain, but going by the last 6 games of last season, it looks like we are going to go 4231, which means Aguero, Bony and then either Unal or Iheanacho as third choice would be fine, with Sterling filling in if they really aren't up to it.

2 very good proven strikers and an up-and-coming prospect should be enough. If we are ever going to bring any youth through, that's how you do it. Hopefully one of them will show they are good enough on tour.

I'll wait till the end of the pre-season tour to be certain, but going by the last 6 games of last season, it looks like we are going to go 4231, which means Aguero, Bony and then either Unal or Iheanacho as third choice would be fine, with Sterling filling in if they really aren't up to it.

2 very good proven strikers and an up-and-coming prospect should be enough. If we are ever going to bring any youth through, that's how you do it. Hopefully one of them will show they are good enough on tour.

Sorry, but I just can't see a scenario where we sell Jovetic and Dzeko and don't bring in another striker. Unal isn't getting anywhere near the first team this season, he'll either spend it in the EDS squad, or out on loan. Iheanacho is a different proposition, however I'd have him, at best, as our 4th striking option, behind Aguero, Bony and another new signing. Aguero, as much as we'd like it not to be true, has a history of picking up injuries at inopportune moments, if he misses another 4 to 6 weeks, do we really want to have Bony, plus two teenage, unproven, striking options, as our only strikers? I can't see that happening.

@Matty

1. Willy Caballero
  2. Joe Hart
  3. Richard Wright
  4. Aleksandar Kolarov
  5. Bacary Sagna
  6. Eliaquim Mangala
  7. Gael Clichy
  8. Martin Demichelis
  9. Pablo Zabaleta
  10. Vincent Kompany
  11. Jason Denayer
  12. Fernando
  13. Bruno Zuculini
  14. Fernandinho
  15. Jesus Navas
  16. Marcos Lopes
  17. Samir Nasri
  18. David Silva
  19. Paul Pogba
  20. Kevin De Bruyne
  21. Yaya Toure
  22. Raheem Sterling
  23. Unal
  24. Sergio Aguero
  25. Stevan Jovetic
  26. Edin Dzeko
  27. Wilfried Bony
  28. Kelechi Iheanacho
That's 28 in the First team squad at the moment?
Remove HG and expected Loans leaves us with 19/20 foreign players
  1. Willy Caballero
  2. Aleksandar Kolarov
  3. Bacary Sagna
  4. Eliaquim Mangala
  5. Martin Demichelis
  6. Pablo Zabaleta
  7. Vincent Kompany
  8. Fernando
  9. Fernandinho
  10. Jesus Navas
  11. Samir Nasri
  12. David Silva
  13. Paul Pogba
  14. Kevin De Bruyne
  15. Yaya Toure
  16. Stevan Jovetic
  17. Edin Dzeko
  18. Sergio Aguero
  19. Wilfried Bony
  20. Kelechi Iheanacho (doesn't need to be registered?)
So if we sold Jovetic and Dzeko we would have Aguero, Bony, Iheanacho, Sterling, De Bruyne, Silva, Navas & Nasri that could play in the front 3

So for me if we move Jovetic and Dzeko that allows the additions to be made?

Final Squad being?
  1. Willy Caballero
  2. Joe Hart
  3. Richard Wright
  4. Aleksandar Kolarov
  5. Bacary Sagna
  6. Eliaquim Mangala
  7. Gael Clichy
  8. Martin Demichelis
  9. Pablo Zabaleta
  10. Vincent Kompany
  11. Jason Denayer
  12. Fernando
  13. Fernandinho
  14. Jesus Navas
  15. Marcos Lopes
  16. Samir Nasri
  17. David Silva
  18. Paul Pogba
  19. Kevin De Bruyne
  20. Yaya Toure
  21. Raheem Sterling
  22. Sergio Aguero
  23. Wilfried Bony
  24. Kelechi Iheanacho
I think that's where the pull for finding a home grown keeper comes from. I wouldn't be adverse to promoting Gunn but may be too soon for him this season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.