A huge leap of faith.

I was chewed up and spat out by the multinational business world. I kept on trying and trying again, and on my last foray into that world I encountered a manager that hated me. I was never bullied as a child, so I had no idea what to do, except I knew that I couldn't respond in the only manner I knew, which was to react with physical force. I had a panic attack in a toilet at work, and was painfully managed out on a PIP.

I swapped this for a physical labour job, where I've been taught extras and know almost as much now as the main roofers do. It's dangerous, but I am careful.

Look at this photo of me at work and think how desperate I must have been to swap an office for this.

View attachment 110288
Is it an emergency kite recovery service you run?

I believe we all should take a risk in life , always have a plan b made though , i left a well paid job with computer, car , phone etc and set up my own business , best thing i ever did

Not working when you are healthy is a great thing to do , especially if your mental health is suffering , good luck to him

I spoke with a close friend of mine today, he is 55 years old and I know he has been stressed with work for a good while.

He told me a few weeks ago that had made the decision that his mental health is more important than anything else, and he wanted to pack in working. He is in a well paid job, mortgage free, no debt and his kids have left home. He told me that he has around £50k in savings and over £250k in his pension pot, he just thought that he isn't prepared to deal with the daily grind anymore. At the time I thought he was just sounding off, jump back to today and he has only gone and done it, given his notice and not looking back.

He is taking 12 months out to chill out and "find himself", going to take a few holidays and go to the gym each day to get himself fit. He is going to see where things take him and enjoy life for a while. I should mention that his wife is doing the same, it seems she is fully on board with it and was just waiting for him to pull the trigger.

But it got me thinking, would I be prepared to do the same? It just seems like a huge risk to take at a time when he is doing so well financially, then again his mental health is more important. I'm not sure that I could.
There would be the worry about getting back into work in 12 months time, would I even want to go back to work? I doubt it. And the fear of eating into the savings each month and the dread of any major unexpected expense.

On the other hand I think he has just become my new hero, he hasn't ever been the impulsive type but seems to have gone all in this time. He got me thinking when he said, at 70 years old is he ever going to regret having a year out to do the things we wanted to do while still healthy enough to do so.

Anyone else have made a leap of faith like this and how did it work out?
As was pointed out to me a long time ago - there are no pockets in shrouds.
There is no guarantee of a long or healthy life
Your friend is doing the right thing.

53 and I think I experienced my first panic attack this morning, such is the dread and depression I’m feeling over my work.

I’m sat here now and I literally can’t function. I simply don’t know what I can do.
Change your job, life really is too short, if your lucky you’ve got 25 years left, do you want to waste maybe half of that hating what you are doing?

I took a big leap of faith a while back and quit my job to go travelling around Australia and East Asia. Managed 1 month til Covid hit and I had to come back home, ended up unemployed for 2 years, got in debt and im still dealing with the fallout now. Fucking Covid!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.