a question about your local chippy...

MCFCinUSA

(expat based in USA) but past year back in the UK
Team supported
City since 1977
.. does your local chippy ever leave the skins on the potatoes?

I was making some today and I just slice up whole potatoes into chips before frying them:

a) because I'm too lazy to peel them, and

b) because all the nutrients are in the potato skin (the rest is more or less starch)

then I got to thinking, because it's hard for me to walk past a chippy when I'm in the UK without me going inside for a tasting, eheh, do any chippies serve them up like me with the skins on?

(and Blackburn/Darwen has some of the worst fish & chip shops I've experienced in recent years - especially around Ewood Park, which on my last trip were truly dreadful until I had a decent portion up in Blackpool which were damn good!)

MCFCinUSA said:

No, it doesn't and if it ever does I'll stop going there.

Chips with skin on?

I've never heard the like!

Sure mate its ran by these 2 old lasses on frog lane in Wigan. They also defied the newspaper law that the eu imposed, where you could not use it to wrap chips in.

It does not have an obvious name outside as its proper oldskool but if you say "im going to the chippy" then its automatically known where your going if you live within a 3 mile radius.

I am however drunk now on jd so ill look into details now good sir :)

Edit:: they do skin of but you have to ask as they automatically assume you want skin on chips.

urmston said:
MCFCinUSA said:

No, it doesn't and if it ever does I'll stop going there.

Chips with skin on?

I've never heard the like!

yeah, I can't remember the last time I had chips with the skin on from a chippy, but it's pretty much like when you eat a jacket potato (only fried and chipped) and honestly, the skin is very nutritional for you to eat, so it's a shame to throw it out!<br /><br />-- Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:32 am --<br /><br />
TCIB said:
Sure mate its ran by these 2 old lasses on frog lane in Wigan. They also defied the newspaper law that the eu imposed, where you could not use it to wrap chips in.

It does not have an obvious name outside as its proper oldskool but if you say "im going to the chippy" then its automatically known where your going if you live within a 3 mile radius.

I am however drunk now on jd so ill look into details now good sir :)

Edit:: they do skin of but you have to ask as they automatically assume you want skin on chips.

nice, much appreciated.. when I'm next up near the JJB I'll try to check 'em out, and will let 'em know you sent me (and made them 'world famous', eheh)

;o)

Haha sure man, ill make sure to have an 8ball for u also, lord knows you will need it to stop you getting depressed in this shithole of a town :D

TCIB said:
Haha sure man, ill make sure to have an 8ball for u also, lord knows you will need it to stop you getting depressed in this shithole of a town :D

Look on the bright side, you could live in Leigh.

See, it's all ying and yang.

1_barry_conlon said:
TCIB said:

Look on the bright side, you could live in Leigh.

See, it's all ying and yang.

Fookin ell, Leigh

/me slits wrists

So the skin is nutritional is it? isn't that kind of outweighed by the fact they are deep fried?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.