A question for those who remember the bad old days ... which is more nerve wracking, relegation last days or title deciders?

In many of the bad old days there were relegation deciders pre Christmas, game after game searching for 40 points I almost became immune to it. I find this constant fear of failing to win much more stressful than what used to be the fear of failure.
This, it feels like every single game is a must win, every loss feels potentially season defining .

Relegation, of course. If we lose a title decider, we get to have another go next season. If you go down, it changes everything for at least a year (often more, in our case).

The difference is in the season as a whole though. Every game throughout the season becomes more stressful if you're going for the title. But just on the last game, relegation is way worse.

Relegation- when we were tumbling to the darkest depths it felt like we were going to do an Accrington Stanley

(who?)

The two are interlinked. The relegation days were really stressful and there aren't many times we survived. And those memories make us all an absolute state when it comes to title deciders because we have seen things go wrong and expect the same. That's natural for a lot of football fans.

Was in 2003 or 2004 we beat Leeds and managed to drag ourselves out of a relegation fight?

One thing is for sure today, Pep will have the lads bang up for it. We might be unlucky and lose out, but we will have given it everything.

Relegations were awful, Luton was a low and dropping into the third tier. However, I knew with the attendance that day we were going to be okay. We have been blessed this last 10 years, but when Pep leaves who knows how long it might be before we win another title. Because of this going to go with todays title decider.

I've got vague memories of some close encounter with relegation in the late 50s/early 60s. About Easter each year the cry would be 'bring back Dave Ewing' and we survived until it actually happened. But while we were down there something magic happened in the form of Mercer and Allison which before long led to the last day win at Newcastle. Bloody fantastic and a memory that had to last for years until Kun Day.

Relegation in my opinion is worse but this is almost as bad as its to stop Liverpools quad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.