A question for those who remember the bad old days ... which is more nerve wracking, relegation last days or title deciders?

Pam

I remember Luton and bloody David Pleat (barely but just about) and then the debacle when we thought a draw would do on the last day and we were keeping it in the corner with Niall Quinn screaming "no, we need 3 points"! And then getting relegated at Ipswich has always haunted me for some reason. And the bloody Stoke thing, when we scored 5 or 6 and went down anyway. Don't even go there. Win lose or draw, tomorrow, nothing comes close to those vile relegation games for me. Tomorrow is terrifying for us but I feel for Burnley and Leeds fans. It's worse for them.

Anyway, do you agree, those of you who remember those times?

Relegation just shades it but both are nervy experience; Brighton away in the 2018-19 season and the 93:20 and the run in to the 2013-14 after 3-2 defeat to Liverpool

In many of the bad old days there were relegation deciders pre Christmas, game after game searching for 40 points I almost became immune to it. I find this constant fear of failing to win much more stressful than what used to be the fear of failure.

Most times we have gone down we were favourites on the last day and it was a bonus if we stayed up, so not really nerve racking at all.

Ipswich was with games to go and we needed snookers before it, 1998 and 1996 we relied on other teams dropping more points than us, 1987 we needed snooker to finish in the play-off place, only 1983 we threw anything away.

Luton at home 83 was an awful day
Liverpool was a shambles
And Stoke, I was pissed in the Windmill
Typical City
But here we go Today

Last edited:
Reactions: Pam
Was only saying this to my brother tonight! It might be different nerves but I’ll take our situation over Burnley and Leeds every time.

To think of when we used to think avoiding relegation was an achievement!

I remember Luton and bloody David Pleat (barely but just about) and then the debacle when we thought a draw would do on the last day and we were keeping it in the corner with Niall Quinn screaming "no, we need 3 points"! And then getting relegated at Ipswich has always haunted me for some reason. And the bloody Stoke thing, when we scored 5 or 6 and went down anyway. Don't even go there. Win lose or draw, tomorrow, nothing comes close to those vile relegation games for me. Tomorrow is terrifying for us but I feel for Burnley and Leeds fans. It's worse for them.

Anyway, do you agree, those of you who remember those times?

Most times we have gone down we were favourites on the last day and it was a bonus if we stayed up, so not really nerve racking at all.

Ipswich was with games to go and we needed snookers before it, 1998 and 1996 we relied on other teams dropping more points than us, 1987 we needed snooker to finish in the play-off place, only 1983 we threw anything away.
Yes, you're absolutely right about the Ipswich one. I mentioned it because the behaviour pof Ipswich fans that day was beyond shite. Hated them ever since. But we went into a couple of games at least with a chance of saving ourselves and it didn't happen. That's more what I was talking about. Funnily enough though, we went into a couple of last day promotion games and managed to win those. Four at least, actually, if you count the play-off final. They were equally nerve wracking. It was VS Blackburn, Bradford and Charlton as well, I seem to remember. Back in the inflatable banana days. It's nice to reminisce about how far we've come since then, anyway, you have to admit.

In many of the bad old days there were relegation deciders pre Christmas, game after game searching for 40 points I almost became immune to it. I find this constant fear of failing to win much more stressful than what used to be the fear of failure.
I know exactly what you mean. Bloody horrible days. Especially after the Rags started routinely winning trophies after a few years with Fergiesum.

I know exactly what you mean. Bloody horrible days. Especially after the Rags started routinely winning trophies after a few years with Fergiesum.
Horrible days indeed, tipping around in the garden trying to postpone going in to listen to the final results.

Reactions: Pam

We're favourites tomorrow too. What's the difference? You're surely still nervous about tomorrow, whether we're favourites against Villa or not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.