A realistic top 4 of.....

more lazy than useless

Us, Chelsea, Everton and Newcastle at the end of the season? With Arsenal, Utd, Spurs and Liverpool missing out? (I could throw Southampton in there, but it'd complicate things).

Here's the top of the table as it stands:

Position Team Played Goal Difference Points
1 Arsenal 13 17 31
2 Chelsea 13 13 27
3 Man City 13 25 25
4 Liverpool 13 9 24
5 Everton 13 8 24
6 Newcastle 13 1 23
7 Southampton 13 6 22
8 Man Utd 13 5 22
9 Tottenham 13 -3 21

OK, I'm deliberately being a bit controversial, but surely its quite possible? I'd have trouble making good arguments for Arsenal missing out, but some pundits are still saying no chance for them for the title, so if Everton and Newcastle keep up the pressure and Arsenal have a wobble.......
Liverpool look to have had a purple patch but have now been found out to some extent. Most realistic posters on here (although not all) have them outside the top 4 anyway.
Spurs - The early season form seems to have dried up and could become patchy. Or, put another way, they're not getting many penalties now!
United - Tricky one, but they already look to be fighting for 4th place.

Some of the factors aren't known; for example, Newcastle haven't got great depth to the squad so luck (good or bad) will have a big part to play in their season.

Although I think Arsenal look safer for a top 4 finish than the past few seasons they still have some questions to answer and December could make a big difference. As for 4th place, I'm beginning to think its wide open.

Fair play to you, that is probably the most outlandish prediction I have seen to date, this season. I certainly cannot agree that it Newcastle or everton will be in the top 4. They simply are not good enough. The cream will rise to the top (which seems to be the phrase of the week).

I do, however, think that the Rags are going to struggle to hit the top 4 but might just slip in.

My prediction is City, Chelski, Arse, United/Liverpool

Newcastle and Southampton will drop off rather than go any higher.

Newcastle don't have the squad, and Southamptons high tempo pressing will suffer over the congested Winter fixtures.

Everton could stick around though, not top 4 but i can see them having more points than Liverpool/United/Spurs.

bluemooninho said:
Fair play to you, that is probably the most outlandish prediction I have seen to date, this season. I certainly cannot agree that it Newcastle or everton will be in the top 4. They simply are not good enough. The cream will rise to the top (which seems to be the phrase of the week).

I do, however, think that the Rags are going to struggle to hit the top 4 but might just slip in.

My prediction is City, Chelski, Arse, United/Liverpool

Don't get me wrong, that's certainly not a prediction, its a question; could there realistically be two new finishers in the top 4?

I don't really expect Arsenal to finish lower than 4th, but it is possible without getting silly. And certainly possible for at least one new finisher if they get a bit of luck, and possible to have two without getting into "well its mathematically possible so...."<br /><br />-- Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:13 pm --<br /><br />
pee dubya said:

Newcastle don't have the squad, and Southamptons high tempo pressing will suffer over the congested Winter fixtures.

Everton could stick around though, not top 4 but i can see them having more points than Liverpool/United/Spurs.

But if Everton finish with more points than Liverpool/United/Spurs, and Newcastle and Soton have dropped away, won't that make them 4th? That's kind of the point I'm trying (badly) to make.

only if its Newcastle and Southampton, if were having daydreams about a new top 4 I wouldn't put the toffee c**** in there, they'd be fucking worse than arsenal, in fact chelski can Fuck off and all, id rather have Swansea or wba

more lazy than useless said:
pee dubya said:

But if Everton finish with more points than Liverpool/United/Spurs, and Newcastle and Soton have dropped away, won't that make them 4th? That's kind of the point I'm trying (badly) to make.
I don't mean all of them, just that they could finish amongst that group of teams.

aguero93:20 said:
only if its Newcastle and Southampton, if were having daydreams about a new top 4 I wouldn't put the toffee c**** in there, they'd be fucking worse than arsenal, in fact chelski can Fuck off and all, id rather have Swansea or wba

I don't think you're taking this seriously.

(Or maybe you're taking it as seriously as it deserves?)

Its not a daydream btw, I'm making the point that it could, realistically, happen. Although not likely, I'll admit.

There are some fine lines this season, hence the example of Newcastle squad depth and luck.<br /><br />-- Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:24 pm --<br /><br />
pee dubya said:
I don't mean all of them, just that they could finish amongst that group of teams.

Fair enough, I misunderstood. However, I can see them easily getting more points than Spurs, quite possibly more than United, and don't think its too big of a stretch of imagination to see them finishing with more points than Liverpool.

It's set up to be fascinating but it's difficult to draw too many conclusions.
We can mix it with anyone but I reckon a lack of depth in a few key positions will take its toll as the season progresses.

The interesting one is going to be the battle for fourth, which (hopefully) will end up being between United, Spurs and Everton.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.