A sense of perspective?

BringBackSwales

I was looking at my lad's first every City with him last night, it was as recent as 2007 and the 4 players on the front were Dickov (fair enough), Hamman, Dabo and Corradi - 6 years ago only. Maybe we could occasionally be thankful for how far we have come in such a short space of time?

BringBackSwales said:
I was looking at my lad's first every City with him last night, it was as recent as 2007 and the 4 players on the front were Dickov (fair enough), Hamman, Dabo and Corradi - 6 years ago only. Maybe we could occasionally be thankful for how far we have come in such a short space of time?

yes we should

Unfortunately far too many do not hold this as a reasonable consideration. We have money, we have players ergo why is the cabinet not bulging with Champions League Trophy, The Cheltenham Gold Cup and the Premier League of Darts Cup.

One poor season is no longer permissible - despite having witnessed at least 25 utterly abject ones in the last 40. If you call it out in such fashion, it is seen as being weak and not having that winning mentality.

Those in charge seem infinitely more patient than us having backed both Clueless and Mancini, creating an environment within which they could succeed and taking the appropriate action when necessary.

Thankfully, those in charge are not us!

The reason that doesn't hold up as providing perspective for many of us, is because, in context, we may as well be a different club entirely to the one pre the investment.

It's great to look back upon for a bit of nostalgia and think how far we have come, but in terms of perspective, it's pointless. We have spend hundreds of millions. If our growth had been completely organic then you would have a point.

Ultimately though, when the investment came in, we effectively became a different club to the one before, so looking at those players adds no perspective.

The players and the owners may have changed and we may be attracting additional fans, but generally it's the same hardcore 30k that turn up week in week out plus those who have turned up since the move.

The club is still City. All the shit beforehand is a fundamental and intrinsic part of our history and part of our DNA. Whether we like it or not, or even care to admit it, we still have typical City moments.

If you don;t know where you've been, how can you expect to know where you are going to.

Can't believe I'm quoting them, but as Take That once said "never forget where you're coming from".

The comment I posted at 4.24 pm on the "Are City fans being used against the club?" is actually more relevant to this thread, though it takes a rather shorter perspective than the period since 2007.<br /><br />-- Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:30 pm --<br /><br />
The cookie monster said:
I'm afraid not mate
Its all four trophies or nothing
Anything else is just not good enough.

And the bloody Cheltenham Gold Cup! Get the winning mentality you weakling.

dancity19 said:
The reason that doesn't hold up as providing perspective for many of us, is because, in context, we may as well be a different club entirely to the one pre the investment.

It's great to look back upon for a bit of nostalgia and think how far we have come, but in terms of perspective, it's pointless. We have spend hundreds of millions. If our growth had been completely organic then you would have a point.

Ultimately though, when the investment came in, we effectively became a different club to the one before, so looking at those players adds no perspective.

Don't baffle them with reality and fact mate.

Its appears too hard a concept for many to understand perspective.

We are all very grateful the Sheikh chose us,however,that doesnt mean we can be happy when the team does not perform to its full potential.

strongbowholic said:
The players and the owners may have changed and we may be attracting additional fans, but generally it's the same hardcore 30k that turn up week in week out plus those who have turned up since the move.

The club is still City. All the shit beforehand is a fundamental and intrinsic part of our history and part of our DNA. Whether we like it or not, or even care to admit it, we still have typical City moments.

If you don;t know where you've been, how can you expect to know where you are going to.

Can't believe I'm quoting them, but as Take That once said "never forget where you're coming from".

OMG you are quoting take that!

karen7 said:
strongbowholic said:

OMG you are quoting take that!
Sorry; it's been that kind of day. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.