A Slightly Different Perspective

ANY1aBLUE said:
ifiwasarichfan said:
I hate to dismiss your comments when you have obviously put a lot of thought into it but Reading at Home, injury time winner with Barry all over their Defender?; Kevin Nolan's perfectly good Goal not given? Nothing about a lead of 12 points indicates bad luck.

They hit the ground running and we didn't.

Their will be other battles to fight.

we're 12 points behind because we've been 2nd best. next discussion..........

Theyve scored more goals.

Pigeonho said:
Just look at it for what it is. They solved the problem which lead to them not winning the league last season, whereas we weakened the squad that won it for us. Add to that performances like that at Southampton, where anyone watching would think there was no title to defend, and what you have then is United 12 points ahead of us. Blame refs, decisions all you want, but the bottom line is what i've just said here, nothing more and nothing less.
Will we learn from that for next season? That's what matters now.

We hardly ripped up any trees against Villa on Monday as well. There is a lethargy about us this season. Hopefully a good transfer policy in the summer with say 3 quality additions and shifting on the deadwood, plus a good pre season under everyones belt. Getting a fully fit Micah back for next season will be like a new £10m signing.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Pigeonho said:
Just look at it for what it is. They solved the problem which lead to them not winning the league last season, whereas we weakened the squad that won it for us. Add to that performances like that at Southampton, where anyone watching would think there was no title to defend, and what you have then is United 12 points ahead of us. Blame refs, decisions all you want, but the bottom line is what i've just said here, nothing more and nothing less.
Will we learn from that for next season? That's what matters now.

We hardly ripped up any trees against Villa on Monday as well. There is a lethargy about us this season. Hopefully a good transfer policy in the summer with say 3 quality additions and shifting on the deadwood, plus a good pre season under everyones belt. Getting a fully fit Micah back for next season will be like a new £10m signing.
Isco, Fernandinho, Jovetic. That ought to do.

Some decent observations.
Mine are we're deservedly second as we've not been lethal (or anything like) up front. We've created lots of chances and just not finished them off. We look like retaining the best defensive record in the league and maybe golden glove for Joe so its not that part of our game.
Interesting or not if we could have beaten them in the derby and been arsed at Southampton we'd be 3 points behind with the derby to come, but we're not. So no there isn't a great deal in it really.
The league table doesn't lie at the end of the season.

This may sound odd to some but, coming second may have a silver lining. Maybe its a step towards developing a winning attitude / mentality / culture across the piece (including our owners) and knowing what it takes to become and retain the league title.

continuing with my theme / belief, that we are in no way as bad as the media and some on here would have you believe, nor has the season been an unmitigated disaster, i think a little more perspective can be achieved by looking at last nights CL results, and our performance in the last 2 seasons in that competition.

Last season, we were put out (effectively) by Bayern and Napoli, Bayern went on to the Final, and excluding the most tunnel visioned Chelsea fans, most people will agree they should have won it. Napoli, beat the eventual winners convincingly at home, and were very unlucky to ultimately lose the tie in the away leg.

This season, we were eliminated again at the group stage, this time by Real, and Dortmund, both of whom have already qualified for the last 8, something no English team (Arsenal miracle apart) will manage this season.

Sure we could and probably should have done better, but i believe our failure (?) to get out of the group stage for the last 2 seasons has far more to do with the group we were in, than any actual failure on our part.

To tie this in with the first part of the thread, retaining our title was always going to be even harder than winning it, (teams raise their game against the champions), and we can all point to perceived failings. However, i think Real and Dortmunds progress in this seasons CL, put our performances in that into a little perspective.

Given the group we were in, (only really poor performance was Ajax away, and we were so close in Madrid) second in the League (it aint quite over yet, but i accept improbable), and the FA Cup still ongoing, I'm possibly easily satisfied, but i'm quite ok with that.

My slightly different perspective is that last season we were at our very maximum for most of the season, scoring plenty of goals and having the best defence. The rags in comparison played quite badly and had a few injuries. They still pushed us till the final game of the season where we won it with seconds to go.

Now this season the rags have not had as many injuries and have been playing football. We have had plenty of niggling injuries and we haven't played our best football, this is why we are behind.

I would be worried if we had won the league at a canter last year and now were 12 points behind, the fact is that we won it on goal difference playing at our very best for 90% of the season.
This season the roles are reversed except when we play badly we don't always get results, the rags mostly do. This comes with time though and stability at management level and playing staff.

This is why for me we don't need Mourinho or 6 new signings like people on here want.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.