A UK national football team

RBmk2 said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
Other than the fact Given plays for Eire and as such wouldn't be in a UK team anyway.

Good point-okay,just Bale then...;-)
But the overall point is good, I don't know enough about Scotish football, but I very much doubt anyone up there would getin right now, so Bale it is.

sam the drummer said:
No, it just wouldn't benefit anyone. I would however like a British team for the olympics.

That particular team I have never understood. The UK is a country and sovereign state constituted of 4 countries that individually are not sovereign states; England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland. Great Britain is merely a name for an island which contains England, Wales and Scotland, it has no constitution of its own accord and is not a sovereign state, why therefore do athletes represent an island (GB) and not a sovereign state (UK) in the olympics?

Sorry, but I can't really think of a way emphasize the answer 'no' greatly enough to do justice to wrongness of this.

Godot said:
RBmk2 said:
Good point-okay,just Bale then...;-)

Darren Fletcher? Craig Bellamy? Jonny Evans?

Knew someone would come up with Fletcher!Better than Gerard or Barry in the CM role?Not for me.
Bellamy is unfortunate in the he'd be up against AJ,SWP,Milner,Lennon...and dare I say it Golden Balls.He wouldn't get picked for the first 11-maybe the bench?

And Evans...is that a joke?I'd rather have Wes Brown than him!

;-)

Dr.Faustus said:
sam the drummer said:
No, it just wouldn't benefit anyone. I would however like a British team for the olympics.

That particular team I have never understood. The UK is a country and sovereign state constituted of 4 countries that individually are not sovereign states; England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland. Great Britain is merely a name for an island which contains England, Wales and Scotland, it has no constitution of its own accord and is not a sovereign state, why therefore do athletes represent an island (GB) and not a sovereign state (UK) in the olympics?
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has determined that the letters GB are to be used to refer to Great Britain in respect of the Olympic Games.

This is very much in line with the official use of GB with regard to the European identification letters for this country....just as F is used for France singly, D for Germany, NL - the Netherlands, E for Spain (Espana), P (Portugal) PL (Poland) N (Norway) I (Italy) CH (Switzerland - referring to the old Helvetia) and SF (for Finland - Suomi Finland) and so on and so on for all the rest of the countries of Europe.

Just look at the little EU blue emblem with the circle of yellow stars alongside your car registration number and you will see GB right in the middle of the circle, not UK....assuming that your vehicle is registered in the UK of course. Offshore islands such as the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey display GBM, GBJ and GBG respectively on the EU number plates, as competitors from these islands are eligible for inclusion in Team GB.

GB is the official IOC id reference to the country of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, even though the absolute correct title should be the United Kingdom (look at your British passport and it will be headed "European Union - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" - as the Irish Province of Ulster (NI) falls under the jurisdiction of the British Crown.

Hypothetically, a fit Craig Gordon would be in the squad, potentially even McGregor too given some of the guff keepers in recent England squads, if he wasn't such a bellend. If Alan Hutton regained a bit of his form and got a regular game i can't think of many English right-backs better than him. By the end of the season we'll see how well Dorrans fits in to top flight football, he could be a star or find it really tough. Fletcher would probably get into the squad on account of being a rag. I don't think any would really be regular starters.

The rest range between very average and utter shite.

sam the drummer said:
Dr.Faustus said:
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has determined that the letters GB are to be used to refer to Great Britain in respect of the Olympic Games.

This is very much in line with the official use of GB with regard to the European identification letters for this country....just as F is used for France singly, D for Germany, NL - the Netherlands, E for Spain (Espana), P (Portugal) PL (Poland) N (Norway) I (Italy) CH (Switzerland - referring to the old Helvetia) and SF (for Finland - Suomi Finland) and so on and so on for all the rest of the countries of Europe.

Just look at the little EU blue emblem with the circle of yellow stars alongside your car registration number and you will see GB right in the middle of the circle, not UK....assuming that your vehicle is registered in the UK of course. Offshore islands such as the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey display GBM, GBJ and GBG respectively on the EU number plates, as competitors from these islands are eligible for inclusion in Team GB.

GB is the official IOC id reference to the country of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, even though the absolute correct title should be the United Kingdom (look at your British passport and it will be headed "European Union - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" - as the Irish Province of Ulster (NI) falls under the jurisdiction of the British Crown.

Since when have people from Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal been eligible to represent GB at the Olympics?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.