A Video Question From Across The Pond

MotownBlue

I suppose this could go in the "General Football Forum" but oh well. If you mods feel you need to move it then so be it.

OK my British/European friends, I have a Yank question for you as the result of yesterday's match at Stoke and some of the events that occurred.

In my mind, football is YOUR game. We are Second Class Citizens when it comes to football in America. So, how I feel about football issues means very little compared to you lot. There is something I'd love to hear your thoughts on, Bluemooners - especially older ones who have a longer historical connection to the game.

How do you guys feel about Video Replay use in the game? Yes, the debate rages on over goal line technology, but I am also interested in your thoughts about the bigger picture. What about using it in the case of "missed" calls such as handling of the ball or violent conduct such as an elbow to the face. We had examples of both yesterday at the Brit. Also, if you think about it, if Shawcross had been just a little later to that volley from Dzeko, we might have also had a blazing debate about goal line technology as well.

Do you guys favor the use of video replay in these cases, or do you feel that it will "hurt" the spirit of football as it is played? In our North American sports, that is always where video/technology issues get sticky. Do you favor the idea or do you worry about it slowing down the match, etc.?

Anyway, I'm all ears. Would love to read what you guys think!

CTID

Big no as far I'm concerned. I'm happy with goal line tech but that's it as far as I'm concerned.
If we brought in video replays it would cease to be the flowing beautiful game that we know and love. How many replays ? Who decides that it's time for one ? It would just turn a flowing game of football into a game of set pieces, much like American Football is now. Ad mans dream but it would be the death of football as we know it.

I'll move it this to general if you don't mind

I'd be happy with goal line technology but that's it. Football aka Soccer has to be a fast flowing game without interuptions for video replays etc.

I think it's a good idea and I don't think it would really slow down the game. Obviously it would have pretty steadfast rules, so e.g. a decision would have to be made within a certain amount of time, replays would only be used in certain situations, maybe teams could be allowed to request a limited number of replays etc etc.

not for me mate,before you know it the ref will be dressed in black and white stripes and there will be a time out at every opportunity..

having a debate about dodgy decisions and talking about it for the next week a part of the fabric of our beautiful game,having video technology kills part of the sport we know as football!!

manimanc said:
not for me mate,before you know it the ref will be dressed in black and white stripes and there will be a time out at every opportunity..

having a debate about dodgy decisions and talking about it for the next week a part of the fabric of our beautiful game,having video technology kills part of the sport we know as football!!
but if we had video tecnology yesterday we would have won.

there are times when the officials view is blocked by players,
as things stand t.v. cameras can make their decisions look "questionable"
The F.A. will of course make things worse, contradicting their own rules as they go along, as when rooney is caught on camera (numerous times) using violent conduct, they claim retroactive action is not possible, then ban SWP after Sky broadcast the incident on a rolling loop on the hour every, same with Balo
Replays are part and parcel of US sports, where the culture is not so anti-change as it is in he U.K.
For me off the ball incidents and goal-line incidents should be the limit

Stuuuuuu said:
I think it's a good idea and I don't think it would really slow down the game. Obviously it would have pretty steadfast rules, so e.g. a decision would have to be made within a certain amount of time, replays would only be used in certain situations, maybe teams could be allowed to request a limited number of replays etc etc.

This is where I stand on this, something like the review system in cricket where either team can request two video replays an innings to prevent a blatantly obvious error changing the result of the game as well as ensuring the game doesn't slow down too much by constant replays

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.