A Video Question From Across The Pond

Not for me, but our cousins have a great idea in having the ref mic'd up to explain decisions to the crowd / cameras.

The use of video should be used alot more by a panel AFTER the game, so the likes of Ryan Shawcross who threw an elbow yesterday would be given a 2 match ban just as though he had been given a red card.

Now I know it doesn't benefit us during the match, but it does discourage this shit.

Same applies with Diving, this panel should look at instances of diving and ban players for several matches.

I hate cheating in the game, diving being at the top of my most hated.

Two match ban if found to be diving, and if they come back and continue diving they are then given 4 match bans and so on.

evidence used would be video footage, with the panel being publicly known, giving a bit more transparency in the game.
Ex players/managers and Ref's would be on this panel, with other people drafted in if say the ex-player had a conflicting interest (so a Rag wouldn't be voting on a decision affecting Rags)

All done on the next day,no need to break up play.

I understand everyone's viewpoint on how having video replays would destroy the flow of the game, but why the decision doesn't have to happen the instant a play goes wrong. With video replay, the handball for instance could have easily been assessed at half time, and the goal could have been disallowed. If something happens in the second half, say the "elbow" issue, let the game continue while other officials are re-watching the play, then during the next ball out or substitution give the player the yellow/red card.

summerseat blue said:
manimanc said:
not for me mate,before you know it the ref will be dressed in black and white stripes and there will be a time out at every opportunity..

having a debate about dodgy decisions and talking about it for the next week a part of the fabric of our beautiful game,having video technology kills part of the sport we know as football!!
but if we had video tecnology yesterday we would have won.

How do you figure THAT one??<br /><br />-- Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:52 pm --<br /><br />
MotownBlue said:
I suppose this could go in the "General Football Forum" but oh well. If you mods feel you need to move it then so be it.

OK my British/European friends, I have a Yank question for you as the result of yesterday's match at Stoke and some of the events that occurred.

In my mind, football is YOUR game. We are Second Class Citizens when it comes to football in America. So, how I feel about football issues means very little compared to you lot. There is something I'd love to hear your thoughts on, Bluemooners - especially older ones who have a longer historical connection to the game.

How do you guys feel about Video Replay use in the game? Yes, the debate rages on over goal line technology, but I am also interested in your thoughts about the bigger picture. What about using it in the case of "missed" calls such as handling of the ball or violent conduct such as an elbow to the face. We had examples of both yesterday at the Brit. Also, if you think about it, if Shawcross had been just a little later to that volley from Dzeko, we might have also had a blazing debate about goal line technology as well.

Do you guys favor the use of video replay in these cases, or do you feel that it will "hurt" the spirit of football as it is played? In our North American sports, that is always where video/technology issues get sticky. Do you favor the idea or do you worry about it slowing down the match, etc.?

Anyway, I'm all ears. Would love to read what you guys think!

CTID

I have supported City for many, many years and I watched English football when it was way obscure and before it got "branded". Have to say, the NFL is the best run sports league BY FAR!!!

You can use video replay more in Yank football than football thats for sure. The dopes that run international football (and the FA) are SO FAR BEHIND the curve on this its untrue. You can EASILY have goal line technology. Thats it! They type of sort football is, there really isnt other thing you can use it for. Offsides decisions?? No. Fouls?? No way. If there are ff the ball incidents, then yes you can do it retrospectively for players behaving badly.

Ice hockey is way faster than football and THEY do it easily for goal line echnology. Its a no brainer.....

It's a big yes from me. I am so tired of the inept officiators we have in the game. The players know exactly how to fool them and get undeserved free kicks and penalties at will. You have linesman who are not in line with the defenders so they fuck up offside calls and I'm so tired of this "the ref didn't see it" or "the refs view was obscured' bollocks. City are one of the unluckiest teams in terms of being on the wrong end of decisions.

Give the managers 2 reviews per half, if the ref was right they lose one if they are right they keep them. Then a team will earn 3 points from being the better side rather than because the ref is a useless twat.

Frank the Yank said:
summerseat blue said:
manimanc said:
not for me mate,before you know it the ref will be dressed in black and white stripes and there will be a time out at every opportunity..

having a debate about dodgy decisions and talking about it for the next week a part of the fabric of our beautiful game,having video technology kills part of the sport we know as football!!
but if we had video tecnology yesterday we would have won.

How do you figure THAT one??

-- Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:52 pm --

MotownBlue said:
I suppose this could go in the "General Football Forum" but oh well. If you mods feel you need to move it then so be it.

OK my British/European friends, I have a Yank question for you as the result of yesterday's match at Stoke and some of the events that occurred.

In my mind, football is YOUR game. We are Second Class Citizens when it comes to football in America. So, how I feel about football issues means very little compared to you lot. There is something I'd love to hear your thoughts on, Bluemooners - especially older ones who have a longer historical connection to the game.

How do you guys feel about Video Replay use in the game? Yes, the debate rages on over goal line technology, but I am also interested in your thoughts about the bigger picture. What about using it in the case of "missed" calls such as handling of the ball or violent conduct such as an elbow to the face. We had examples of both yesterday at the Brit. Also, if you think about it, if Shawcross had been just a little later to that volley from Dzeko, we might have also had a blazing debate about goal line technology as well.

Do you guys favor the use of video replay in these cases, or do you feel that it will "hurt" the spirit of football as it is played? In our North American sports, that is always where video/technology issues get sticky. Do you favor the idea or do you worry about it slowing down the match, etc.?

Anyway, I'm all ears. Would love to read what you guys think!

CTID

I have supported City for many, many years and I watched English football when it was way obscure and before it got "branded". Have to say, the NFL is the best run sports league BY FAR!!!

You can use video replay more in Yank football than football thats for sure. The dopes that run international football (and the FA) are SO FAR BEHIND the curve on this its untrue. You can EASILY have goal line technology. Thats it! They type of sort football is, there really isnt other thing you can use it for. Offsides decisions?? No. Fouls?? No way. If there are ff the ball incidents, then yes you can do it retrospectively for players behaving badly.

Ice hockey is way faster than football and THEY do it easily for goal line echnology. Its a no brainer.....

But the American games are built in for stop / start. It's an excuse to throw in a couple more adverts ;)

It would be FAR easier to do it for football (soccer) than it is for American Football, because the decision is fairly cut and dry, whereas in Gridiron, there are technicalities of possession, plus foot in play, knee on the ground, was he touched before he hit the turf, etc, etc, etc... In soccer, it is only was the ball ALL over the line....

I would use it for penalty decisions and red card/last man offences, too, as they completely change the game and so it is vital they are correct. Should be the purview of the fourth official, with the ref coming to the sideline, if needed.

If they can do it in rugby, then they can do it in soccer!

Another rule I would like to see is a 5 or 10 minute sin bin instead of an immediate second yellow card (and thus, red card). If the player is a persistent offender AFTER a sin bin, then he gets his marching orders. Could also be used for dissent and diving. It would shut that down in a hurry WITHOUT having to send players off (for more than 10 minutes) and gives the team against which the offence occurred the 10 minute advantage, instead of the next team they face not having to face the player!

I am in favor of rule changes for the things that people universally KNOW are ruining the game.

I think it would be most needed for offsides. More goals are scored/denied when the linesman wrongly does or doesn't give offside than the officials not getting the right call about the ball going over the line. But yes I would welcome it as long as there aren't 'time outs' every 5 minutes

ChicagoBlue said:
It would be FAR easier to do it for football (soccer) than it is for American Football, because the decision is fairly cut and dry, whereas in Gridiron, there are technicalities of possession, plus foot in play, knee on the ground, was he touched before he hit the turf, etc, etc, etc... In soccer, it is only was the ball ALL over the line....

I would use it for penalty decisions and red card/last man offences, too, as they completely change the game and so it is vital they are correct. Should be the purview of the fourth official, with the ref coming to the sideline, if needed.

If they can do it in rugby, then they can do it in soccer!

Another rule I would like to see is a 5 or 10 minute sin bin instead of an immediate second yellow card (and thus, red card). If the player is a persistent offender AFTER a sin bin, then he gets his marching orders. Could also be used for dissent and diving. It would shut that down in a hurry WITHOUT having to send players off (for more than 10 minutes) and gives the team against which the offence occurred the 10 minute advantage, instead of the next team they face not having to face the player!

I am in favor of rule changes for the things that people universally KNOW are ruining the game.
IT WOULDN'T WORK!!! Why would you add stupid american things like sin bins into football? and lets say technology comes in for red card decisions lets say a player is sent off but it came from a free kick that shouldn't have been given - do you then have technology for free kicks, where would it end? Leave the game as it is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.