Aberfan

At the offical inquest the coroner read out the cause of death for one of the children and his father stood up and told him the cause of death was murder by the NCB.

I find it distasteful that their is not an annual national act of remembrance for this, but 7/11 gets the full treatment.
I don't for a second wish to demean 7/11, but the cynic in me wonders if aberfan happened in London instead of Wales, and was caused deliberately by brown people instead of by the negligence of a govt owned industry we'd have heard more about it.
Rip, and I hope the survivors managed to move on from seeing their mates wiped out. Terrible.
Well any act of remembrance hasn't made that much of any impression it was 7/7 but there you go, then again that was an act of mass murder and Aberfan was a tragically avoidable accident.If only the spoil heap had slipped an hour before the children wouldn't have been trapped in the school. There's spoil heaps all over Wales a legacy of our industrial past but I'm sure they're all safety checked now.

I'm sure that I've heard the heap was flagged up, as a concern, before the tragedy.

It was. Somewhat prophetically (and tragically) some mothers of the children at the school - as well as the headmistress who was one of those that died - petitioned about the tip in 1965. Other concerns were aired prior to that too.

It truly is a disgrace that nothing was done to make the tip safe and also a disgrace that they had to use money from the disaster fund to make the remaining tips safe subsequently.

Well any act of remembrance hasn't made that much of any impression it was 7/7 but there you go, then again that was an act of mass murder and Aberfan was a tragically avoidable accident.If only the spoil heap had slipped an hour before the children wouldn't have been trapped in the school. There's spoil heaps all over Wales a legacy of our industrial past but I'm sure they're all safety checked now.

The drive into Blaenau Ffestiniog is like driving on a moon.

I find it distasteful that their is not an annual national act of remembrance for this, but 7/11 gets the full treatment.
I don't for a second wish to demean 7/11, but the cynic in me wonders if aberfan happened in London instead of Wales, and was caused deliberately by brown people instead of by the negligence of a govt owned industry we'd have heard more about it.
Rip, and I hope the survivors managed to move on from seeing their mates wiped out. Terrible.

I think it's a case of different eras rather than anything more sinister. We live in a world these days where grieving over tragic incidents amongst the public and authorities has almost become an art form. I'm sure if Aberfan happened today as opposed to 50 years ago it would get more coverage on each anniversary.

Max Boyce has done a programme about this. Poignant and very moving.

A horrible tragedy in anyone's book but especially so considering that amount of kids that died that day. If it had happened a few minutes earlier they would have all been in the playground and not in a classroom.

And if it had happened a couple of hours later the school would have been empty as they were due to break up for half term at lunchtime that day. Unbelievably unfortunate timing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.