Aberfan

I was born in 1964 so too young to remember the disaster happening. However, I do remember the word 'Aberfan' being spoken amongst the family a few years later, and knowing that it spoke of something horrific.

The fact that £150,000 was taken out of the disaster fund to pay for the clean up still shocks and annoys me to this day.

passed by Aberfan a couple of years back and decided to stop in the village
there is a memorial playground and looking across the valley there are all the graves of all the children and adults killed in the tragedy
it’s was one of those moments in my life I will never forget
its almost as if there is a constant dark cloud over the village
RIP little children you will never be forgotten

Visited cemetery and so sad to pay respects to those children and many parents who have passed since and layed to rest with their child.
My dad was involved in the search and recovery due to being a miner in the next valley but other than being there I never heard him speak a word about that day.

Visited cemetery and so sad to pay respects to those children and many parents who have passed since and layed to rest with their child.
My dad was involved in the search and recovery due to being a miner in the next valley but other than being there I never heard him speak a word about that day.

Yes, I imagine it would be impossible or much too painful to put into words what he witnessed. Loss of life on any scale is tragic but loss of young children strikes at the heart of everything we are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.