Abide with me

Prestwich_Blue said:
mad4city said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
It's a great Cup Final tradition and I wish they'd bring back the community singing as well. I'm not religious and I'm certainly not a Christian but some things transcend that. It was wonderful two years ago being there and singing it.

This post is an example of good manners, grace and common sense that I respectfully suggest one or two on this thread others might be well encouraged to learn from.
That's awfully kind of you to say so, you fucking obsequious ****! ;-)

**tugs forelock and then retreats hurriedly, whilst anxiously wringing his flat cap* *

blue b4 the moon said:
Not my cup of tea music wise but will be better than Stacey Soloman.

It is a beautiful song, with some actual reason and meaning for its creation.

Military services

The hymn is sung at the annual Anzac Day services in Australia and New Zealand,[6] and in some Remembrance Day services in Canada[7] and the United Kingdom. It is also played by the combined bands of the Indian Armed Forces during the annual Beating Retreat ceremony held on 29 January at Vijay Chowk, New Delhi, which officially marks the end of Republic Day celebrations.[4][8] A choral version of this hymn has been arranged by Moses Hogan.

This is the real link for me, I can't help it, it will always make me feel ashamed, guilty, proud and angry when I hear it, because sacrifices were made and sometimes you wonder why they bothered.

mad4city said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
It's a great Cup Final tradition and I wish they'd bring back the community singing as well. I'm not religious and I'm certainly not a Christian but some things transcend that. It was wonderful two years ago being there and singing it.

This post is an example of good manners, grace and common sense that I respectfully suggest one or two on this thread others might be well encouraged to learn from.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Interesting fact - the tune we sing it to is not the one the composer used. For some reason it was changed to a different tune called 'Eventide'.

Probably got told to change it by Simon Cowell.

Yeah... the more I think about it, definitely so. All good music traces it's roots back to Simoin Cowell.
I am bowled over by the piety on this thread. I'm not religious so I won't be singing it; nothing to do with lack of manners, poor grace or lack of respect or common sense. It's more to do with standing by my convictions something I would respectfully suggest others could learn from.

EricBrooksGhost said:
mad4city said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Prestwich_Blue said:
Interesting fact - the tune we sing it to is not the one the composer used. For some reason it was changed to a different tune called 'Eventide'.

Yeah... the more I think about it, definitely so. All good music traces it's roots back to Simoin Cowell.
I am bowled over by the piety on this thread. I'm not religious so I won't be singing it; nothing to do with lack of manners, poor grace or lack of respect or common sense. It's more to do with standing by my convictions something I would respectfully suggest others could learn from.

As some who believes in the teachings of Christ, I can tell you he loves you and celebrates your ability to make your own decisions and choices.

EricBrooksGhost said:

If you go back and read the comments in this thread, most people defending the song are non-Christians. If right now they were to choose a song to replace AWM, it would expressly not be a hymn, and I think everyone - Christians and non- alike - would defend that. Piety has nothing to do with it. Tradition has everything to do with it.

I can only think of two tunes ( when City are involved)which can literally make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and bring a sense of welling pride, 'Abide with me'and 'Zadok the Priest'.. (google it)

Those that cannot share that same emotion are perhaps lacking something..

Falastur said:
EricBrooksGhost said:

If you go back and read the comments in this thread, most people defending the song are non-Christians. If right now they were to choose a song to replace AWM, it would expressly not be a hymn, and I think everyone - Christians and non- alike - would defend that. Piety has nothing to do with it. Tradition has everything to do with it.
And I suggest you read why I won't sing it. To suggest by not is somehow poor manners etc is laughable.

EricBrooksGhost said:
mad4city said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Prestwich_Blue said:

Good for you. If the cap fits and all that...

Always great to encounter a man of conviction. Even those atheists (and God Knows there's legions of 'em) who can never stop banging on about having so little to be convinced about. For what it's worth, I'm not that much of a God-botherer, myself (most of the time, anyway). I somehow manage take remarkably little offence in the communal singing of a hymn before a football match, though. In fact, I'm more than a little bit heartened that, even in this day and age, so many others will find comfort in the event.

Sorry, if I came over all holier than thou, in my previous post. I can be a pompous arse when the mood takes me. I'll not deny that.

Thing is, you've already made your point... repeatedly. Since you've already dismissed the attributes of grace and common sense from your interpretation of this matter (surely you didn't mean that?), is it too much to ask that you'd find the stoicism to allow those who enjoy and appreciate this utterly harmless tradition, to do so without your constant churlish condescension?
It's only one song, after all. Live and let live etc.

Will belt it out

Part of the going is having a sing. If I was watching on the tele .....not

Abide with me is an FA Cup tradition that has been going longer than any of us have been alive. Forget the fact that it is a hymn it is a part of tradition like the haka is to the all blacks or the university boat race.

In an age where football has generally lost most of its values and morals it is good to see that this tradition will be kept and I for one cannot wait to see my team at wembley (again) and i will be singing along to this famous anthem.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.