Abide with me

blackley27 said:
Taking my Mrs to this game and she's nearly blubbing at the thought of singing it already!!

Seriously, I am all for tradition I will sing it AND The National Anthem at the top of my voice just like in 1981 and 2011.

Each to their own and all that.

Good man, ffs there's some right miserable fooking city fans, eric brooks ghost ffs if you even thought of haunting me I'd fooking commit harricarri just so I could kick you in the nuts, you miserable fuckwit!!! CHEER UP YOU TART.

ANY1aBLUE said:
-- Fri May 03, 2013 6:24 pm --

argyle said:
It's just tradition for no reason.

sad - hopefully, there's some proper football folks going.................

The fuck does that even mean?

It's a christian religious hymn, originally sung before a football match back when some people were more religious. It is just tradition for no reason.<br /><br />-- Sat May 04, 2013 12:04 am --<br /><br />
Falastur said:
argyle said:

I could say the exact same about City wearing sky blue. Perhaps we should change kit colours?

Yes you probably could say that about City wearing sky blue, you do know that City haven't always worn sky blue!!

All traditions were invented at one time or another. This is one worth keeping up, the most moving part of the whole build-up to the game. I'll be singing it in the bar at JFK before my flight over.

argyle said:
Falastur said:
argyle said:

I could say the exact same about City wearing sky blue. Perhaps we should change kit colours?

Yes you probably could say that about City wearing sky blue, you do know that City haven't always worn sky blue!!

Yes. I've read Gary James and Paul Toovey's books on City's early history. I'm the guy who makes the little City kit graphics on Wikipedia if you ever go on any of our pages there, and I've made graphics for the 1884 black kit with white cross pattee (not a Maltese cross as many claim), for the 1887 navy blue and white stripes, for the 1890 quartered sky blue and white, for the 1892 white shirt with navy blue shorts. I could go on.

Anyway, I don't see your point. Abide With Me wasn't sung at the 1872 FA Cup Final either, so the parallels with my City kit comment continue. In fact, there's an interesting point. The 1884 black kit with white cross pattee is almost worshipped on this forum like Colin Bell himself, and while we don't know the origins of the cross (some say it's Masonic for example) a lot of people, rightly or wrongly, claim it's to do with our founding as a church youth group. But that's a strong religious link, isn't it? So I take it that if I asked your opinions on that black kit, you'd say you oppose it because of the cross and, even more, you think we should turn our back on our early history because it contains strong links to the church?

My point is, lots of things happen for one reason and then their significance is lost. I suspect that if you - or any of the other atheists here who oppose singing Abide With Me - were to look at the various curses you say in a given week, a fair few of them would contain the word "God", and yet despite saying that word straight up, few people think of the way that the curse originally implied directly invoking the support of a deity. And that's fine. A person's religious beliefs are their own choice, I don't disagree with that. But what can originate as a religious tradition does not have to continue as one. Abide With Me carries a lot of resonance in a non-religious way for a lot of people, as this own thread has shown, and it has what? 100 years of tradition behind it, just like our wearing sky blue does. I say just accept it for what it is, support the tradition, and if you don't like the religious significance then don't sit there thinking about the words. Use it as an opportunity to remember friends lost, or enjoy the moment as an important part of the build-up to what could be a very important moment in our history.

OK, sermon over. I'm going back into my hole now.

It's a great Cup Final tradition and I wish they'd bring back the community singing as well. I'm not religious and I'm certainly not a Christian but some things transcend that. It was wonderful two years ago being there and singing it.

Interesting fact - the tune we sing it to is not the one the composer used. For some reason it was changed to a different tune called 'Eventide'.

dubbie31 said:
http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/News/2013/May/the-final-royal-philharmonic-concert-orchestra-amore-wembley-abide-with-me.aspx

The Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra and British classical quartet Amore will team up to perform the traditional FA Cup Final hymn ‘Abide with Me’ at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 11 May.

Amore’s four young vocalists - tenor David Webb, soprano Monica McGhee, baritone Peter Braithwaite and mezzo soprano Victoria Gray - will also perform the national anthem shortly before kick-off.

*Stokes the fire*

*Tuts*

All those people given free seats just for the sake of tradition. Bet they don't even like football!

Prestwich_Blue said:
It's a great Cup Final tradition and I wish they'd bring back the community singing as well. I'm not religious and I'm certainly not a Christian but some things transcend that. It was wonderful two years ago being there and singing it.

This post is an example of good manners, grace and common sense that I respectfully suggest one or two on this thread others might be well encouraged to learn from.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Interesting fact - the tune we sing it to is not the one the composer used. For some reason it was changed to a different tune called 'Eventide'.

Probably got told to change it by Simon Cowell.

Yeah... the more I think about it, definitely so. All good music traces it's roots back to Simoin Cowell.

mad4city said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

This post is an example of good manners, grace and common sense that I respectfully suggest one or two on this thread others might be well encouraged to learn from.
That's awfully kind of you to say so, you fucking obsequious ****! ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.