Accents

Teabag Express said:
Can you tell a difference between Canadian and American accents though?

Yes definately, i first picked it up from the Ice Hockey commentary...... Canadians say out in a different way.. as in about, lookout,trout,doubt, you get the jist.

acquiesce said:
I can definitely spot the difference in these American regional accents:

Minnesota/Wisconsin/Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Chicago
NYC/New York
Boston/Massachusetts/Vermont&New Hampshire
Georgia/South Carolina
Kentucky/Tennessee
Louisiana/Alabama/Mississippi
Texas
Cajun Louisiana
South Florida/North Florida

The only really mystery for me is the West Coast. Outside of the "surfer/beach folk" accent, is there a difference in California/Oregon/Washington? I've never been able to grasp it.

I'd throw Italian-American New York/New Jersey/Philadelphia in there too, but otherwise I agree that those are the ones I can mostly detect. Occasionally you'll be able to pick out an Arkansas/Missouri/Kansas-type accent; vaguely Southern-ish but not really. I also have no idea what's going on on the West coast, aside from 'valley girl' Californian accents that hopefully don't really exist anymore.

whp.blue said:
BlueBearBoots said:
Was appalled once in Spain when some Spanish blokes who could speak a little English had trouble with my manc accent but not a Geordie one!! Oh my word!

That can't be true

it is a well known fact that us Mancunians don't have an accent! I know thousands of mancs and they all speak like me and none of us have an accent
Well the ones that come to N wales on holiday certainly do "Yeah I'm from Manchesta wot you gonna do bowt it", mind the scousers are worst... runs for cover..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.