Adam Johnson: Joining Manchester City is bad for your career

Agree with Green Pennies post and it was the right move for both club and player and he is actually playing so good luck to him.
However sinclair has not yet been used enough for people to judge.If he is given as many opportunties the AJ than I believe he will be a good asset to have.

Hes the left back remember said:
Agree with Green Pennies post and it was the right move for both club and player and he is actually playing so good luck to him.
However sinclair has not yet been used enough for people to judge.If he is given as many opportunties the AJ than I believe he will be a good asset to have.
Sunderland fans seem to disagree.

green pennies said:
Surprised at the venom toward AJ I am reading on here.

Nothing I read in that article angered me. He wasn't saying Yaya always played for no reason, for me he is making a clear implication that Yaya was a world-class player and he was not. The fact that he also talked about his improving process sort of proves it. Yes, most footballers think they are better than they are and are full of confidence, but for me, him going to Sunderland was an admission of what he is: a player who will do fine starting at a mid-table club, and a guy who is still in the process of trying to do what's best for his career.

After all the anger toward guys like Bridge, you'd think City fans would be pleased with a guy who wants to play above all else. Who derives his sense of worth not from "getting paid" or from the caliber of the club who's roster he managed to rise onto as a squad player, but from how people react to his work on the pitch. From his coaching staff's feelings about him.

Perhaps he is a partier, but as he rightly points out, he's hardly alone, and I can't help but thinkthat it might just verge on convenient that Bob could use his old "a player his age should always work to improve" line as a reason for not playing AJ because of his reputation (inferring that he was more worried about drinking and other things than football - shit, maybe he was, but MAYBE he just wasn't good enough or wasn't the type of player Bob wanted or needed).

At the end of the day, I'm glad he's gone because he didn't fit anymore. However, I'm also glad he has found a place with the Black Cats. I will remain a fan of him, as I was when he was at City. His flair was always fun to watch, and he had his faults, but I will mostly remember the smiles he brought to my face over the years (even though most of them did occur when we were 4-0 up).

Save the vitriol for the guys who really deserve it.

PS - Does anyone really think that Scott Sinclair is currently doing what's best for his career?

I'm not so sure he came across too well in that article to be honest but that aside, I agree with most of what you've said.

I too am uncomfortable with most of the vitriol directed towards him in this thread. Johnson played his part last season and each of his goals helped contribute to our title win. No doubt he frustrates at times and I don't think he's quite as effective these days as he was when he first joined. It's easy to think he was always no more than a bit part player for us but that wasn't always the case. I remember him coming on as a sub in a dismal 2-1 defeat at Hull, probably our worst performance under Mancini. We were absolute gash all afternoon but Johnson came on and totally changed the game - he caused Hull all sorts of problems and we almost came away with an undeserved draw. However, his best display was a few weeks later away at Sunderland. We were 1 down at half-time but in the second half he totally ran the show, and scored a brilliant equaliser in stoppage time.

M18CTID said:
green pennies said:
Surprised at the venom toward AJ I am reading on here.

Nothing I read in that article angered me. He wasn't saying Yaya always played for no reason, for me he is making a clear implication that Yaya was a world-class player and he was not. The fact that he also talked about his improving process sort of proves it. Yes, most footballers think they are better than they are and are full of confidence, but for me, him going to Sunderland was an admission of what he is: a player who will do fine starting at a mid-table club, and a guy who is still in the process of trying to do what's best for his career.

After all the anger toward guys like Bridge, you'd think City fans would be pleased with a guy who wants to play above all else. Who derives his sense of worth not from "getting paid" or from the caliber of the club who's roster he managed to rise onto as a squad player, but from how people react to his work on the pitch. From his coaching staff's feelings about him.

Perhaps he is a partier, but as he rightly points out, he's hardly alone, and I can't help but thinkthat it might just verge on convenient that Bob could use his old "a player his age should always work to improve" line as a reason for not playing AJ because of his reputation (inferring that he was more worried about drinking and other things than football - shit, maybe he was, but MAYBE he just wasn't good enough or wasn't the type of player Bob wanted or needed).

At the end of the day, I'm glad he's gone because he didn't fit anymore. However, I'm also glad he has found a place with the Black Cats. I will remain a fan of him, as I was when he was at City. His flair was always fun to watch, and he had his faults, but I will mostly remember the smiles he brought to my face over the years (even though most of them did occur when we were 4-0 up).

Save the vitriol for the guys who really deserve it.

PS - Does anyone really think that Scott Sinclair is currently doing what's best for his career?

I'm not so sure he came across too well in that article to be honest but that aside, I agree with most of what you've said.

I too am uncomfortable with most of the vitriol directed towards him in this thread. Johnson played his part last season and each of his goals helped contribute to our title win. No doubt he frustrates at times and I don't think he's quite as effective these days as he was when he first joined. It's easy to think he was always no more than a bit part player for us but that wasn't always the case. I remember him coming on as a sub in a dismal 2-1 defeat at Hull, probably our worst performance under Mancini. We were absolute gash all afternoon but Johnson came on and totally changed the game - he caused Hull all sorts of problems and we almost came away with an undeserved draw. However, his best display was a few weeks later away at Sunderland. We were 1 down at half-time but in the second half he totally ran the show, and scored a brilliant equaliser in stoppage time.
So his best two game changing displays earned us 1 point?

I didn't like him when he was here and that hasn't changed with his leaving us.

I'll admit that probably a year ago, maybe abit before he was one of my favourite players and couldn't understand why he didn't start for England as he always seemed more of a threat and skillfull than Walcott/Lennon etc.

But since then its all gone downhill for him, not sure if its just other teams worked him out or a lack of commitment to training and his 'lifestyle' that seems to be notorious for..

Shame really as he looked a real prospect when he first came..

I think Mancini got the best out of him when he came off the bench...

Whenever he started he usually had no effect on the game but as a sub he made a difference..

Decent player but had an attitude problem when not in the team.. instead of working your arse off to get back into the team he went out clubbing, the Sunderland fans have already sussed him out…

Like Dzeko he was a great super sub but wasn't prepared to accept this.It's frustrating that we're not using Sinclair in this role as this gives us more attacking options towards the end of games.

I'm more disappointed in him than anything else.

Watched him against West Brom, and he looks a player whose lifestyle has caught up to him.

Could have stayed at the club if he was prepared to make sacrifices to do so, but he wasn't and so be it. But at the moment he doesn't look good enough for Sunderland and I think he owes their supporters and manager a bit.

Absolutely terrible for Sunderland tonight. Couldn't take players on, poor crossing... one good through ball and that is it. Subbed off after 70 minutes. We did very well getting £10million for him. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.