Adam Johnson: Joining Manchester City is bad for your career

Just read this on that Mackem forum link. Made me laugh out loud and thought I'd share it:

concourseboy
Central Defender

Awesome championship player, hopefully we can hang in to him next year

Surprised at the venom toward AJ I am reading on here.

Nothing I read in that article angered me. He wasn't saying Yaya always played for no reason, for me he is making a clear implication that Yaya was a world-class player and he was not. The fact that he also talked about his improving process sort of proves it. Yes, most footballers think they are better than they are and are full of confidence, but for me, him going to Sunderland was an admission of what he is: a player who will do fine starting at a mid-table club, and a guy who is still in the process of trying to do what's best for his career.

After all the anger toward guys like Bridge, you'd think City fans would be pleased with a guy who wants to play above all else. Who derives his sense of worth not from "getting paid" or from the caliber of the club who's roster he managed to rise onto as a squad player, but from how people react to his work on the pitch. From his coaching staff's feelings about him.

Perhaps he is a partier, but as he rightly points out, he's hardly alone, and I can't help but thinkthat it might just verge on convenient that Bob could use his old "a player his age should always work to improve" line as a reason for not playing AJ because of his reputation (inferring that he was more worried about drinking and other things than football - shit, maybe he was, but MAYBE he just wasn't good enough or wasn't the type of player Bob wanted or needed).

At the end of the day, I'm glad he's gone because he didn't fit anymore. However, I'm also glad he has found a place with the Black Cats. I will remain a fan of him, as I was when he was at City. His flair was always fun to watch, and he had his faults, but I will mostly remember the smiles he brought to my face over the years (even though most of them did occur when we were 4-0 up).

Save the vitriol for the guys who really deserve it.

PS - Does anyone really think that Scott Sinclair is currently doing what's best for his career?

The cookie monster said:
sergiokun said:
They are still not happy with him... 10 million we got = result
And to think some on here were moaning he went and we only got £10 million +
What a result like you say.

We only paid 7 million the lad so when I found out we had got 10 million for him a was very happy.. shame because I liked Aj but he was far too lazy and just never seemed to listen to what Mancini was saying to him, he could have been a real decent player if he put the hard work in

green pennies said:

Nothing I read in that article angered me. He wasn't saying Yaya always played for no reason, for me he is making a clear implication that Yaya was a world-class player and he was not. The fact that he also talked about his improving process sort of proves it. Yes, most footballers think they are better than they are and are full of confidence, but for me, him going to Sunderland was an admission of what he is: a player who will do fine starting at a mid-table club, and a guy who is still in the process of trying to do what's best for his career.

After all the anger toward guys like Bridge, you'd think City fans would be pleased with a guy who wants to play above all else. Who derives his sense of worth not from "getting paid" or from the caliber of the club who's roster he managed to rise onto as a squad player, but from how people react to his work on the pitch. From his coaching staff's feelings about him.

Perhaps he is a partier, but as he rightly points out, he's hardly alone, and I can't help but thinkthat it might just verge on convenient that Bob could use his old "a player his age should always work to improve" line as a reason for not playing AJ because of his reputation (inferring that he was more worried about drinking and other things than football - shit, maybe he was, but MAYBE he just wasn't good enough or wasn't the type of player Bob wanted or needed).

At the end of the day, I'm glad he's gone because he didn't fit anymore. However, I'm also glad he has found a place with the Black Cats. I will remain a fan of him, as I was when he was at City. His flair was always fun to watch, and he had his faults, but I will mostly remember the smiles he brought to my face over the years (even though most of them did occur when we were 4-0 up).

PS - Does anyone really think that Scott Sinclair is currently doing what's best for his career?

Yes, yes, yes! The best and most sensible opinion I've heard yet on this topic.

Didsbury Dave said:
forevermancity said:
Not doing well at Sunderland but give me AJ over Sinclair every day of the week, changed games when came off the bench
absolutely right. But you forget rule number 23 of being an Internet football fan: once a player leaves your club he instantly becomes a c.unt.

He will get venom on here but he will rightly get a good reception when we play them.
same as Internet managers then ?

green pennies said:

Fair call; however, what annoys me, and IMO other posters, is that he could have been a very good player if he had taken Mancini's criticism on board. He still played a lot of minutes; certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Yet, he would have played a lot more and gone on to be a quality player for us if he had resolved some of the basic things that any player with a half-decent attitude should have down pat. There were issues regarding his application and work rate, and these issues are unacceptable to the average bloke who would run themselves into the ground if given a similar opportunity.

green pennies said:

Oooh dear, ya lovely words really touched me wit tears just streamed down my face LOL

Bloody fucking hell yeaaaah bet it's best for his career......

Scott Sinclair is twice the man, he's up for the challenge and want to do well, so yeah he deserve all support

Nicky D said:
green pennies said:

Yes, yes, yes! The best and most sensible opinion I've heard yet on this topic.

Agreed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.