Adam Johnson

shockin-hocking

Don't know if this has been covered in any of the other threads so I apologise if it has, but I can't help but think that if we'd have kept Adam Johnson this season may have turned out differently.

Before I explain, I just want to say that 2nd and a cup final is a great season for me and I'm more than happy for Bobby to keep his job.

But Johnson came of the bench to good effect last season, he was our plan b really to give us a bit of width and stretch the game. I only really noticed when I watched the season review recently how many goals and assists he provided us in the latter stages of games. I know he wasn't the greatest player in the squad last year but he did give us another dimension.

We haven't really replaced him either. Scott sinclair hasn't been given much of a chance, I know, but when he has played he looks like he's got no confidence and therefore is ineffective.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed how much we miss johnson's impact off the bench?

This is where i always say that our squad is paper thin and not at the level of any of the other top European sides. We have better centre half cover this season than we did last, but in attacking creative midfield we even lack behind Chelsea Spurs and Arsenal (never mind Bayern and Barcelona).

This is where anyone who says we have a great squad is plain wrong.

shockin-hocking said:
Don't know if this has been covered in any of the other threads so I apologise if it has, but I can't help but think that if we'd have kept Adam Johnson this season may have turned out differently.

Before I explain, I just want to say that 2nd and a cup final is a great season for me and I'm more than happy for Bobby to keep his job.

But Johnson came of the bench to good effect last season, he was our plan b really to give us a bit of width and stretch the game. I only really noticed when I watched the season review recently how many goals and assists he provided us in the latter stages of games. I know he wasn't the greatest player in the squad last year but he did give us another dimension.

We haven't really replaced him either. Scott sinclair hasn't been given much of a chance, I know, but when he has played he looks like he's got no confidence and therefore is ineffective.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed how much we miss johnson's impact off the bench?
how many of these goals and assist won us any points ?

We did miss that but he is a "Match of the Day" player which means he looks good on highlights but his overall performances were not there. His impact on goals and assists though is there but he wasn't as effective playing in full games or against superior opposition. I do like Johnson and he moved because he wanted regular football which he was never going to get with us. We do though need more goals from elsewhere in the team and this has been detrimental to our challenge this season.

Only ever performed against lesser opposition, usually when we were having a stroll in the park at home. No consistency over 90 mins, didn't work hard enough and infuriated Bobby at times. Has some talent but so what, he never does enough.

Don't know how true it is but apparently he asked for more game time, Mancini said he could make no promises so Johnsons decision was made up to move on and try and get 1st team football week in week out. Good on his day but too inconsistent although I too would have kept him as squad player if he was prepared to stay. Seems to have found his level at Sunderland.

shockin-hocking said:

I think you've got a point, but IIRC it was Johnson's call as he wanted to play regular football for Sunderland rather than be a bit-part player for us - which, the logic went, would strengthen his England place, too. He started out the title winning season, if you remember, by being in the starting XI on a pretty regular basis but for one reason or another started to slide down the pecking order.

if he'd stayed, i don't think we'd have had the same sort of fire from Johnson that we had in 10/11 and in the first few months of 11/12. I agree Sinclair has not so far been much of a replacement, and I wonder if he ever will be. But just because you keep a player it doesn't always mean you will get the same level of performance out of him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.