After 14 games, year on year comparison

I have been tracking how many points we got last season against each team we have played and the same this season. Replacing the relegated 3 with the promoted 3.

We are currently -3 points on last season against exactly the same team (barring promoted sides). Not the greatest record considering how much we have spent again.

I'm over the moon that we are in 4th place though, and am fully behind bobby manc. I still think we need to grind out results where teams defend 10 men behind the ball.

I think you all are missing the point of the OP. This is not an indictment on Mancini or this team, as far as I can tell, this is strictly showing that City has maintained the same points level while everyone else has regressed. If anything I believe he is thus arguing that City are in fact better off than they were last year.

Project said:
Everyone knows that the league has tightened, but I thought it would be interesting to see just how. I've stripped out Bolton this year and focused on the "big 6".

20101124-pg2ut4cwkecmdw71gmmntrf5yu.jpg

Spurs surprised me. Hugely different goal difference, though if I remember correctly this would have taken into account the 9-1 win against Wigan last year. Also interesting how we have conceded and scored 7 less.

In summary - it appears you had to have spent big to stay still...

After 14 games Hughes hadn't played all from: Chelsea United Arsenal Liverpool Spurs even Sunderland away is harder than Portsmouth away!

danburge82 said:
After 14 games Hughes hadn't played all from: Chelsea United Arsenal Liverpool Spurs even Sunderland away is harder than Portsmouth away!

Also last year Lampard wasn't injured for 3 months as well as Terry being injured for Chelsea and Drogba having malaria (Essein being injured/suspended is a given for them I guess) - Shrek wasn't having his midlife crisis at 23 with Valencia being injured, Defoe and both of Spuds first choice centre backs weren't gone..etc..

Both the rags and Chelsea were much stronger last year than this year as shown in the points tally sure there was shit like Hull and Pompy in the league last year but that's really not any worse than Wolves/West Ham/Wigan this year.

I'd be quite interested to see some data on how the "big 6" are performing fixture vs fixture against last season. When looking at the fixtures of newly promoted teams, I think these games need to be compared to the results against last seasons relegated teams.

Has anyone looked at this?

Josh1111 said:
I have been tracking how many points we got last season against each team we have played and the same this season. Replacing the relegated 3 with the promoted 3.

We are currently -3 points on last season against exactly the same team (barring promoted sides). Not the greatest record considering how much we have spent again.

I'm over the moon that we are in 4th place though, and am fully behind bobby manc. I still think we need to grind out results where teams defend 10 men behind the ball.
There are some mitigating factors though, i can't remember where but i'm sure i read it's statistically proven that top teams do worse in the season after a World Cup year, our pre-season was heavily disrupted. Add to that the fact that we have plenty of European games which we didn't last season, which definitely has an impact.

surely its best to compare after the first half of the season when we will have played everyone once (though this still doesnt take into account the home/away factor)

also we have significantly strengthened our squad...whereas others have only added slightly to theirs so does that not need to be taken into account

i guess there are so many variables season by season that comparisons like this are pretty redundant. the only thing that matters is where we are now in the league compared to our main contenders (which is a thing that doesnt change that much year upon year...its always now going to be utd arsenal cheslki and spurs unless any other huge investors come in). and the only stat that really matters is where we are at the end of the season.

I think at this point its important to remember that some of the key players MB brought in have hardly featured. All season I (and probably most other blues) have been saying that we lack balance on the left. Bridge has hardly played, and for all the efforts of Zaba and Boetang, they always need to come inside onto their stronger foot. With 2 natural left footers on the left hand side on Sunday we looked miles better, there was always an outlet for the midfield, and we actually got some crosses in from the bi-line.

Kolverov IMO will go from strength to strength, and fingers crossed, Balotelli will be able to stay on the pitch 90mins. I honestly think we will go on a run of 5 wins, beating Stoke, Bolton, West Ham and Everton. Newcastle away could go either way, and Villa at home all depends on what Villa team decide to turn up.

It would be nice to go into New Year at n 3rd, with a healthy margin over 5th.

simon23 said:
surely its best to compare after the first half of the season when we will have played everyone once (though this still doesnt take into account the home/away factor)

also we have significantly strengthened our squad...whereas others have only added slightly to theirs so does that not need to be taken into account

i guess there are so many variables season by season that comparisons like this are pretty redundant. the only thing that matters is where we are now in the league compared to our main contenders (which is a thing that doesnt change that much year upon year...its always now going to be utd arsenal cheslki and spurs unless any other huge investors come in). and the only stat that really matters is where we are at the end of the season.

Of course - I will probably update it after 19 games. Doesn't mean there is no merit in looking at it now because it does show an interesting picture beginning to form. And we are 14 games in, so coming up to the halfway point. The likelihood is that the league will be won with much fewer points this year, which bodes well for the likes of ourselves.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.