After covid

Miss my extended family and elderly relatives. Facebook and zoom are OK, but because that's how I'm working a lot of the time it just feels like more of the daily grind. Being locked in with the wife and kids for extended periods did make me dig out my fishing tackle and fuck off quite a bit when I could - swings and roundabouts.

Last edited:
Will you see your family and friends in a different light I think we all take our loved ones for granted at times but this has really made me realise how much they mean to me,As I’m sat hear waiting for the wife to finish work it’s got me thinking the wife like lots of other hero’s has worked tirelessly on icu since covid started and the stories I hear can be horrific. She is amazing and I love her more than I ever realised.I miss my mates
and brothers/ sisters and I for one will not take things for granted anymore
A little bit of a wake up call for me.....

I realised that some people are selfish self serving individuals and think of nothing or no one other than themselves. They don’t give a fuck about you or I or the greater good. Nobody is going to tell them what to do, or when to do it.

On the other side there are completely selfless individuals who think of others before themselves, think of the greater good and their community and how to help them.

I have two sisters who are nurses, one of them is a single parent and is sending her kid into school to get taught bugger all, so she can do 12 hour shifts in hospital during the week followed by home teaching at weekends....never complains, just gets on with it.

I had a good think about what type of person I am and more importantly, how I would want my family and young son to remember me through Covid. I’ve followed all of the rules, tried to help out my elderly neighbours, not complained about any of the measures...just dealt with them as I could. Just after Xmas I volunteered to become a vaccinator with St John Ambulance. I had the interview last week and will start the online training this week....I have to do a minimum of 2 shifts a month but as I work full time, home school too, I will only be able to do those shifts at weekends....

Im just a regular person and I’ve been in awe of my sisters and all those in the front line, be they teachers, doctors, or supermarket workers. I just want to do whatever small thing I can to help my community and for my lad to remember that I stepped up....

On your OP, I won’t take my family for granted again. We usually have big Xmas get togethers and it caused a lot of upset that we couldn’t do it in 2020. I’ve got elderly grand parents too and they have been through hell the last 5 months....one of them has dementia which has accelerated meaning he had to be moved to a nursing home....the other had a nasty fall several weeks ago and broke her hip...had to spend some time in hospital and then a home to convalesce.....

Last edited:
This whole thing has cost me so much but I'm massively fortunate is so so many ways.
Ive not lost anyone close to me nor my job.

On the flip side it caused me and my long term partner to split up and I moved out after the first lockdown.

I though how I'd drive around the world which is something I've really had under my skin for most of my life but always seemed to have been in long term relationships since I left school. I'm 44 now and this was it.. I was going to do it!
Obviously things went from bad to worse and now I'm really quite isolated working from home everyday and never going out. My 8 year old stays with me 3 nights a week and those have been my highlights. My ex is shielding and so as long as neither of us go anywhere we're basically each others support bubble for the sake of the lad.

I'll not take so much for granted if we do get back to anything like nornal.

My last city match was Kompanys testamonial. I used to go with my dad a fair bit and promised him that if we ever get things back I'll take him for a hospitality match and absolutely cherish every second.

I'll take him to the pub and we'll laugh.

I'll cook Sunday dinner for my mum and be glad that she won't shut up about nonsense when I'm eating.

I'll go and see my sister and play daft karaoke games with her kids instead of rushing to get out of the door.

I'll goto the office and be thankful for my work colleagues... I'll maybe even make them all a brew and be glad to listen to how their weekend has been.

I'll take my little lad swimming and won't be in a rush to get out of the pool.

Those stupid little things that I took for granted before are the things I well up inside thinking about now because it scares me that we won't get them back.

Last edited:
Have to admit i've become more reclusive since the first lockdown, but think it's also a big mix of working from home, having a kid and tightening up financially.

just when mates invite me out and even some family, i feel bad because i just can't be arsed!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.