Aguero's team in Argentina, Independiente, relegated...

fablue

001.jpg

n_atletico_de_madrid_sergio_kun_aguero-59730.jpg
Kun-Aguero-debuto-San-Lorenzo_OLEIMA20110705_0054_3.jpg

aguero1%5B1%5D.JPG

but in the league they are on 12th place from 20( i see that on flashscore) ...

EL APACHE TEVEZ said:
Oh dear zabbas old club put them
down.

Pellegrini's old club, too.

MihaiCity said:

In Argentina, relegation is decided by a 3-year running average. This system was brought in to prevent the big clubs from getting relegated because they so often end up selling off their best players to Europe and suffering a wobbly season the next season. It also gives newly-promoted clubs a two-year immunity from relegation. On the other hand, it means that if you finish bottom of the table twice in a row, you don't get relegated those seasons but you have to virtually win the league the next season because you are already badly screwed by your rolling average, and so you get clubs being relegated despite some strong performances.

Falastur said:
EL APACHE TEVEZ said:
Oh dear zabbas old club put them
down.

Pellegrini's old club, too.

MihaiCity said:

In Argentina, relegation is decided by a 3-year running average. This system was brought in to prevent the big clubs from getting relegated because they so often end up selling off their best players to Europe and suffering a wobbly season the next season. It also gives newly-promoted clubs a two-year immunity from relegation. On the other hand, it means that if you finish bottom of the table twice in a row, you don't get relegated those seasons but you have to virtually win the league the next season because you are already badly screwed by your rolling average, and so you get clubs being relegated despite some strong performances.

Honestly never knew that. Interesting system!

marco said:
i like that system, do they do it for the champions at the top?

Nope, winning the league is a one-year system like everywhere else.

As I say, the 3-year system only exists because in the past, major clubs were at risk of getting relegated after losing half their team to Europe in one go. You have to understand that in Argentina, the difference between a top club and the relegation fodder is far bigger than in England, they can have hundreds of times more fans than a 2nd division club nationwide, and the fans can make for a very messy situation when their clubs get into trouble - also bear in mind that there are about 6 top-division sides in the capital, so when a top club is threatened, it's like the London riots and everyone is affected. Thus, it can be a major problem when these clubs are threatened with relegation. Only a couple of years ago, River Plate were in the same position and the Argentinian FA actually discussed changing the rules to make it even harder for them to get relegated, rather than let them fall to their fate and their fans go on a rampage through Buenos Aires in response. As it happened they didn't, and River IIRC became the first major Argentine club to ever lose first-division status, but because it was unprecedented they were so fearful of the response that they considered actually bending the rules to protect River.

And this is what happened when River did actually get relegated that year (keep watching past the first 20 seconds, trust me):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za-6sPXuaYA[/youtube]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-22924751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-22924751</a>

BBC article. Note that the caption for the image specifically references the threat of rioting over the relegation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.