Alan Shearer

Yet Blackburn paid a league record £3.2(ish) million for him!

It was a gamble on potential, even Walker said it was £3.3 m and no more as people claimed it was more, and it was considered over the top. City paid £2.5 m for Curle the year before, who also wasn't a big star at the time, and it was also considered too much.

He also came back from two serious long term injuries if I remember rightly. In this team he would probably be scoring 50 goals a season, he was a machine. His dad was a miner so he came from tough stock.

I think he was a fantastic goalscorer, but agree with the OP that he's often left out of best PL lineups and the like.

I reckon that's because he did the obvious stuff very well. He put the ball where an amateur would often aim to put the ball, but with amazing precision and power.

People seem to remember the players that do the unbelievable more fondly, which is why you often see players like Zola and Bergkamp in the best lineup discussions, despite their far inferior goalscoring records.

His stamping technique was also top notch.
Joking apart his record will take some beating especially considering his long injury spells.

Only 24 top flight goals before he turned 23, it really is phenomenal that he scored so many considering.

Always something worth bearing in mind when you see young players being written off as not good enough.

He was half decent I suppose.......but this was my abiding memory of him as a player.....
Last minute of the Derby at the shithole

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.