Album of the day - David Bowie (Hunky Dory)

Great album.

What I didn't realise however and it was mentioned in one of the many tributes to Bowie that all the songs for "Ziggy" were written prior to Hunky Dory and that "Ziggy" was recorded only two weeks after Hunky Dory. You couldn't get two more different sounding albums. The piano based Hunky Dory and the guitar driven Ziggy. Bowie at his creative best during those first 5 albums.

Space oddity, Man who sold the World, Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane.

Great album.

What I didn't realise however and it was mentioned in one of the many tributes to Bowie that all the songs for "Ziggy" were written prior to Hunky Dory and that "Ziggy" was recorded only two weeks after Hunky Dory. You couldn't get two more different sounding albums. The piano based Hunky Dory and the guitar driven Ziggy. Bowie at his creative best during those first 5 albums.

Space oddity, Man who sold the World, Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane.
For me, his five best were Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Station to Station and Heroes although the run from Man who sold the world through to Heroes was brilliant, if I manage to close my ears to pin ups and young Americans

I can just about now listen to Young Americans, along with David Live, but I have to say it was a struggle back in 1974. Pin Ups was just a contract fulfilling album but at least 2 out of the 3 that formed the Spiders From Mars played on it, Ronson and Boulder.

I saw Bowie live in 1978 which featured a lot of songs from Heroes and Low albums, so as you say, likewise I also look back on the Heroes and Low albums with fondness.

I can just about now listen to Young Americans, along with David Live, but I have to say it was a struggle back in 1974. Pin Ups was just a contract fulfilling album but at least 2 out of the 3 that formed the Spiders From Mars played on it, Ronson and Boulder.

I saw Bowie live in 1978 which featured a lot of songs from Heroes and Low albums, so as you say, likewise I also look back on the Heroes and Low albums with fondness.
I kept to the studio albums only for a good reason!
I can't think of a band/artist that has had such a great run of albums from Man Who Sold through to Heroes, which such high points as Ziggy and Hunky
Dory
Saw him in 73, then at Bingley in 70 something and then again in 87, going to the gig at Maine Road after dropping my wife off at the maternity ward. She was very inconsiderate going into labour when I had two tickets for Bowie, fortunately a mate stepped in last minute to keep me company

Yes, it would have been a struggle back in 1974, considering it didn't come out until 1975.

Pin Ups (released 19th October 1973)
David Live (released 29th October 1974-Plastic Soul Tour)
Young Americans (7th March 1975)

Those were the three albums discussed in my response to this part of the thread.

The bottom line is that Young Americans-David Live for Pre 1974 Bowie fans were viewed as crap back then!

Now all these years later (certainly by me, but not all) they are viewed differently.

Last edited:
I kept to the studio albums only for a good reason!
I can't think of a band/artist that has had such a great run of albums from Man Who Sold through to Heroes, which such high points as Ziggy and Hunky
Dory
Saw him in 73, then at Bingley in 70 something and then again in 87, going to the gig at Maine Road after dropping my wife off at the maternity ward. She was very inconsiderate going into labour when I had two tickets for Bowie, fortunately a mate stepped in last minute to keep me company

Where did you see him in 73, was it the Free Trade Hall? I never got chance to see him as Ziggy.

The gig you went to was at the "New Bingley Hall Stafford" in 1978.

I was at the Saturday night show dated 24th June 1978.

He played two other shows, Sunday 25th June and Monday 26th June, so you must have been at one of those three shows.

The tour then moved to Earls Court in London.

Last edited:
Where did you see him in 73, was it the Free Trade Hall? I never got chance to see him as Ziggy.

He played two other shows, Sunday 25th June and Monday 26th June, so you must have been at one of those three shows.

It was the new Bingley Hall, wasn't it also called the five counties show ground as well? I may be confused as alcohol and age have ravaged the brain.
One of my mates at school was a massive Ziggy fan, had feathered hair and even had the lightening stripe across his face when he went out. I remember Life on Mars getting high in the charts, possibly number 1, and him coming telling me as we were walking into second year Geography, it was stunningly boring lesson.
At the end of the third year he bought three tickets to see Bowie and I went along with him and another mate. Our nicknames were Ronno, Rossi and Trower. It was a summer gig at the FTH, we used to go every week when we were older, all the way through the fifth year.

I was at Bingley, Anyone remember a massive football match breaking out while we were queuing which spilled over into a dog show being held there?
Funny at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.