Album of the day - David Bowie (Hunky Dory)

Pin Ups (released 19th October 1973)
David Live (released 29th October 1974-Plastic Soul Tour)
Young Americans (7th March 1975)

Those were the three albums discussed in my response to this part of the thread.

The bottom line is that Young Americans-David Live for Pre 1974 Bowie fans were viewed as crap back then!

Now all these years later (certainly by me, but not all) they are viewed differently.

I didn't think they were crap at the time but they were hugely disappointing. I like David Live a lot more now but most of YA still doesn't do much for me. I stopped buying Bowie on vinyl after Station to Station and was too much of a Heavy Metal Kid to bother with the Berlin stuff until much, much later; a mistake but there you go. So I didn't bother with the cow shed gigs. I start start going to his gigs in the 80's (MK Bowl was first) but only bought the rest of his albums on CD in last ten years or so; I added CD versions of things like Hunky Dory well before that. Still got all my vinyl.

I didn't think they were crap at the time but they were hugely disappointing. I like David Live a lot more now but most of YA still doesn't do much for me. I stopped buying Bowie on vinyl after Station to Station and was too much of a Heavy Metal Kid to bother with the Berlin stuff until much, much later; a mistake but there you go. So I didn't bother with the cow shed gigs. I start start going to his gigs in the 80's (MK Bowl was first) but only bought the rest of his albums on CD in last ten years or so; I added CD versions of things like Hunky Dory well before that. Still got all my vinyl.

Very similar to myself. In the early 70's I was into Led Zepellin, Deep Purple Rainbow etc, so Bowie with the Spiders From Mars was easy for me to get into. There was too much of a change in his musical direction for me, after he disbanded the Spiders. Hard rock to Soul music just didn't wash with me. As you say most of his later albums I've likewise bought in the last 10 years or so. Whilst Bowie was experimenting with his Berlin trillogy, and when I heard Lodger only an odd song floated my boat. I was watching gigs of Iron Maiden, Saxon, Judas Priest, The Scorpions who all began life in the late 70's but mainly in the 80's. There was a huge difference in listening to "The Number Of The Beast" and Bowies "Boys Keep swinging". Now in middle age life I listen to music that fits the mood I'm in which cuts across all genres of music. One week in can be Classical music, followed by Motorhead, my tastes now are that diverse. As you say David Live has grown on me over the years, but I can't remember the last time I heard the album Young Americans. If I want to listen to soul music I put real and not Plastic soul music on.

Last edited:
Very similar to myself. In the early 70's I was into Led Zepellin, Deep Purple Rainbow etc, so Bowie with the Spiders From Mars was easy for me to get into. There was too much of a change in his musical direction for me, after he disbanded the Spiders. Hard rock to Soul music just didn't wash with me. As you say most of his later albums I've likewise bought in the last 10 years or so. Whilst Bowie was experimenting with his Berlin trillogy, and when I heard it only an odd song floated my boat, I was watching gigs of Iron Maiden, Saxon, Judas Priest, The Scorpions who all began life in the late 70's but mainly in the 80's. There was a huge difference in listening to "The Number Of The Beast" and Bowies "Boys Keep swinging". Now in middle age life I listen to music that fits the mood I'm in which cuts across all genres of music. One week in can be Classical music, followed by Motorhead, my tastes now are that diverse. As you say David Live has grown on me over the years, but I can't remember the last time I heard the album Young Americans. If I want to listen to soul music I put real and not Plastic soul music on.

My musical progression was T.Rex (Sweet, Slade etc) to Bowie to Queen / The Who and then a multitude of hard rock and metal bands so I was always going to favour rock in its heavier forms. Likewise my taste has broadened over the years and my album collection ranges has bits of all sorts of music in it and loads of classic rock.

Pin Ups (released 19th October 1973)
David Live (released 29th October 1974-Plastic Soul Tour)
Young Americans (7th March 1975)

Those were the three albums discussed in my response to this part of the thread.

Well your sentence was worded as though you were referring primarily to Young Americans. However, it doesn't matter in the slightest, and my pedantic twattery really should be ignored.

Anyway, I fucking love Young Americans, whether it's 'real' soul or not. All I care about is the songs and the performance, which are just stunningly good. I didn't get into Bowie until the mid 90s (was only born in the late 70s) so I suppose I don't have all that context. I got all the albums in the wrong order anyway, starting with Ziggy and Diamond Dogs, then jumping to Station To Station and then back to The Man Who Sold The World and so on. I love it that they are all so different, but I can see how Young Americans would have been a shock, coming straight after Diamond Dogs.

Well your sentence was worded as though you were referring primarily to Young Americans. However, it doesn't matter in the slightest, and my pedantic twattery really should be ignored.

Anyway, I fucking love Young Americans, whether it's 'real' soul or not. All I care about is the songs and the performance, which are just stunningly good. I didn't get into Bowie until the mid 90s (was only born in the late 70s) so I suppose I don't have all that context. I got all the albums in the wrong order anyway, starting with Ziggy and Diamond Dogs, then jumping to Station To Station and then back to The Man Who Sold The World and so on. I love it that they are all so different, but I can see how Young Americans would have been a shock, coming straight after Diamond Dogs.

Hey no worries. Folk got into Bowie no matter how or why. Don't forget some songs on Diamond Dogs had the Spiders performing on them. Don't misinterperate my use of the phrase "Plastic Soul". Bowies 1974 North American tour was split into two parts. The first part of the tour it was known as "The Diamond Dogs Tour". This part of the tour which although different from the Spiders, was still guitar driven, with Earl Slick on lead guitar. The second part he introduced songs that he was writing for "Young Americans" album and he himself called it "The Plastic Soul Tour". At that time late 1974 or early 1975 I can't just remember now he was the first white artist to perform on the American "Soul Train" TV show.

The Plastic Soul tour of North America was from 5th October 1974 to 1st December 1974, and he played live the following songs from his forthcoming album "Young Americans" for the first time:

Young Americans, Win, Somebody Up There Likes Me, Can You Hear Me. I have numerous live bootlegs from this tour which I've collected through the ages.

I've mellowed in my stance over all his later albums and now just enjoy all his music......although for some reason I still have an issue with Young Americans. Perhaps that album was the realisation that Ziggy was dead and buried forever...........which he was!!

Hope we get three points at West ham tomorrow!!

Last edited:
It was the new Bingley Hall, wasn't it also called the five counties show ground as well? I may be confused as alcohol and age have ravaged the brain.
One of my mates at school was a massive Ziggy fan, had feathered hair and even had the lightening stripe across his face when he went out. I remember Life on Mars getting high in the charts, possibly number 1, and him coming telling me as we were walking into second year Geography, it was stunningly boring lesson.
At the end of the third year he bought three tickets to see Bowie and I went along with him and another mate. Our nicknames were Ronno, Rossi and Trower. It was a summer gig at the FTH, we used to go every week when we were older, all the way through the fifth year.

Brilliant that.

My mate also a real "Ziggy" fan used to nick his sisters hotpants put on all the make up, had the "Ziggy" cut with dyed red hair. The amount of women he copped off with was unbelievable. At least later when Bowie started wearing suits, normal Joe's like me could fit in a wee bit lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.