Aleksandar Kolarov - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
May have already been said, however he is like a new signing for us!

I was one of those who wanted him out at the end of the summer - I got it wrong. Pep takes some of the praise but Kolarov said he wanted to stay and fight for his place....he is proving that!

Me as well. He is a player transformed. However we were still right to be pissed at his attitude on the pitch sometimes last season. Not that he was alone in that by any means.

i was laughing when he sprinted down the left wing and whipped in a wicked cross, my lad asked why.

"Thats our centre back, I dont think we would have got that from Vonk even in his prime"

On a serious note, those raking diagonals to Sterling were sublime, when we play the likes of Liverpool and Spurs who will "contrapress" they will be an effective way of bypassing the midfield.

May have already been said, however he is like a new signing for us!

I was one of those who wanted him out at the end of the summer - I got it wrong. Pep takes some of the praise but Kolarov said he wanted to stay and fight for his place....he is proving that!
I think 90% of us wanted him out and probably need to atone for our sins. The man is a revelation this season. Long may it continue.

Without meaning to piss on this bonfire too much, it's worth remembering that these peaks and troughs have been a regular pattern with Kolarov.

Average first season; very good during first title; terrible in Mancini's sacking season; revived world-beater in Pellergrini's first; then utterly crap for the last two.

He owes us two good seasons to break even!

Now Kolarov is back in favour, he deserves a new song:-

"Ho Ho Ho it's Aleks - you know
In the defence with John Stones."

The turnaround of all turnarounds. Everytime he was on the teamsheet for the past few seasons my heart would sink - yet somehow he's been one of our star players so far this season in a season of extremely high level performances.

I still have my doubts whether he can do this against top quality opposition, but against the level of teams we've played so far he looks fantastic, his passing range & aerial ability is a great addition for us - I actually far prefer him at CB than LB as he cannot wander quite so much (albeit he was putting in crosses against Bournemouth quite comically).

Very interested to see what happens to him against Barcelona, will his defensive frailties rear their heads or has he been disciplined enough by Pep in this short period of time to truly be a quality defender for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.