Alex Williams Book 'You Saw Me Standing Alone'

I ve met Alex a couple of times and agree that he is a lovely bloke. When I started my City journey I loved the fact that we had local lads Alex, Clive Wilson , and Dave Bennett playing for us. I never understood why black players would get booed by opposing fans and I was happy to see some of the retribution doled out by the Guvnors to some of the idiots that thought it was acceptable.
I was so sad to see Clive and Dave leave (QPR and Cov I think - due to Swales financial mismanagement) and Alex having to retire due to injury.
Those lads went through lots of grief up and down the country and we were lucky to have them on our books demonstrating much of what Manchester, and what being a Manc is all about.

I ve met Alex a couple of times and agree that he is a lovely bloke. When I started my City journey I loved the fact that we had local lads Alex, Clive Wilson , and Dave Bennett playing for us. I never understood why black players would get booed by opposing fans and I was happy to see some of the retribution doled out by the Guvnors to some of the idiots that thought it was acceptable.
I was so sad to see Clive and Dave leave (QPR and Cov I think - due to Swales financial mismanagement) and Alex having to retire due to injury.
Those lads went through lots of grief up and down the country and we were lucky to have them on our books demonstrating much of what Manchester, and what being a Manc is all about.
Agree totally but don't forget Roger Palmer and the Beckford brothers from that era, they had to deal with the same shit as the other lads.

I used to work hospitality for City when I was in my teens so I could watch the games because I couldn't afford a season ticket.

He used to stand with us hospitality staff watching the games and chatting. He's the soundest, warmest ex-pro I've ever met. Absolutely lovely guy. Will be buying this.
I can fully agree with this, I've met Alex 3/4 times through a different sphere of work going back to his time behind the scenes at MR from not long after he'd finished playing upto around 2009 when I was last chatting to him. Top bloke.

afternoon gentleman, just a message here from a newcastle supporter whose usual haunt is an occasional visitor to your general football section.
being an old fucker I was at both the games in the 83/84 season where our double over you (how times change eh?!) was probably what ensured we pipped you to promotion behind chelsea and sheffield wednesday.
at sjp we beat you 5-0, but Alex Williams was heroic that day, without him I think we would've hit you for double figures. not often you come away from a 5-0 where the memory will always be the performance of the goalkeeper.... he was tremendous.
good to see he's still held in high regard at man city. :)
Thank you.

Alex Williams and Bert both got similar treatment from ignoramuses (being polite) at away grounds and both rose above it thanks to their strength of character and footballing skills.

(Wasn't only at away grounds. Jack Gaughan in the Mail has a story about Bernard Manning making a "joke" at a club event at Maine Road about why City wouldn't be giving AW a bonus.)

I remember the 2-1 victory at Elland Road in 83-84 when Alex walked towards the home fans behind the South Stand goal, prior to kick off, and was greeted with a choreographed and obviously rehearsed SIEG HEIL Nazi Salute from the entire lower tier.
Absolutely astonishing, and I definitely recall a few City fans around me laughing.

Different times, but what a hero.

Saw Alex outside the Baseball ground circa 1991, said hello and told him that his performance at White Hart Lane in 1982 was one of the best I'd seen.......He was genuinely humbled and thanked me for the kind comments. Top bloke

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.