Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be that this story has originated from Sanchez's side to put some pressure on Arsenal and show that he's going to be difficult from now on, in the hope that they ask for special dispensation as they couldn't complete the deal due to the international match. It's probably a nonsense story though and I doubt it'll amount to much.

Agree with this.

It was obvious from the start that Sanchez was our number one target. Don't know why anybody would think otherwise. The impact of not landing him we will have to wait and see, but I have a feeling that this season is going to be a strangely frustrating one where we just don't achieve the consistency we need in front of goal. Unfortunately, I don't think our rivals will suffer the same. We may do ok in one of the domestic cups, but the squad looks nowhere near deep enough to launch a serious CL campaign i.e. semis/final.

Conversely, I think Arsenal will do their usual Phoenix like rise and compete strongly for the top four. Funnily enough the Liverpool defeat in combination with retaining most of their key players will be the stimulus for this. No matter what people might think the players are professionals, and they will have been stung by that horror show at Anfield, and want to put that right as soon as possible. The likes of Ozil even came out and took the unprecedented step of apologising for the performance, which to me showed how much it hurt and how determined they are going to be to put it right. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Ozil, Sanchez et al, have one of their best seasons at the Arse. You can laugh all you like but life and football is strange.

At this stage it feels to me that this will impact us way more than it will impact Arsenal, simply because we didn't fully achieve what we wanted to achieve in the market. It feels like we have a huge Sanchez sized hole that we have created for ourselves. A hole that might have a bigger impact than any of us really think.

I completely disagree about Arsenal. I think they have shot themselves in the foot big time and they have just pushed the turmoil back to January.

If he's the sort of player that doesn't put in any effort when he doesn't get his own way then i'm glad we didn't buy him, he's under contract and should give 100% every game for Arsenal.
As it is, i don't think he's that sort of player
I understand where you are saying but, coming from a place of always having had a contract for any position I have held since university, I think football is the only realm in which people think this way. If you are not a footballer, want to terminate your contract with your employer (to pursue a better position elsewhere, perhaps for a better compensation package or more professional prestige, or both), with willingness to except outlined penalties and/or ensure they receive reasonable compensation for the loss of talent, but they refuse and threaten severe legal action to prevent it, forcing you to stay and see out the contract, you would be livid and your morale and motivation would be significantly impacted. Thankfully, that rarely happens outside of football—often because contracts can be difficult to enforce but more often than not because the employer realises the moment you've decided to go you've immediately become less valuable (read productive) to them and they need to mitigate the loss and transition as best they can. The few times something similar to this Sanchez situation has occurred in the non-footballing professional world has been down to a star talent (usually in executive, sales, or R&D) wanting to go to a competing entity or to start a competing enterprise. Ironically, though, in many of those cases the original employer reacted in the same way Arsenal has in this case and gone about shackling (or worse, professionally destroying) said talent which, in the end, usually leads to several bad states:

1) the talent was no longer productive despite staying on
2) morale of current talent was depressed as they had now seen they have no options apart from staying themselves, even if they were not happy
3) talent acquisition became much more difficult as outside observers saw that once you are in "you are in, until the contract is up"
4) potential investors are put off as they see the company struggling to effectively deal with unhappy talent, maintain healthy morale, and attract the talent necessary to sustain any current success and potential grow the business
5) overall production is significantly impacted by the combination of the above states, causing a downward feedback cycle where each bad state worsens causing the others to worsen, as well

The outcomes shown above are one of the reasons most successful companies do their best not handle these types of situations the way Arsenal handled Sanchez, if at all possible.

I think you could easily apply all of those negative outcomes to this situation, as well. Perhaps we an additional state of having now locked in an unproductive talent, rumoured not to be particularly popular with the other employees, during a operational period crucial to the continued success of the enterprise, with the all most certain resolution of losing said employee at contract end with no compensation and little in the way of a transition plan (not to mention increasing the chances of negatively impacted production during that time).

All in all, it was a horrible botched endeavour on Arsenal's part and has a very high chance of completely derailing a season that is already started badly.

Agree with this.

Conversely, I think Arsenal will do their usual Phoenix like rise and compete strongly for the top four. Funnily enough the Liverpool defeat in combination with retaining most of their key players will be the stimulus for this. No matter what people might think the players are professionals, and they will have been stung by that horror show at Anfield, and want to put that right as soon as possible. The likes of Ozil even came out and took the unprecedented step of apologising for the performance, which to me showed how much it hurt and how determined they are going to be to put it right. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Ozil, Sanchez et al, have one of their best seasons at the Arse. You can laugh all you like but life and football is strange.

At this stage it feels to me that this will impact us way more than it will impact Arsenal, simply because we didn't fully achieve what we wanted to achieve in the market. It feels like we have a huge Sanchez sized hole that we have created for ourselves. A hole that might have a bigger impact than any of us really think.

Nah, no way. Arsenal are done.

They are lucky that the past 3-5 years has seen Liverpool and United simultaneously going through their worst spells in 50 years, otherwise this would have happened years ago.

Wenger can't coach, his team selections are baffling, They have 1 half decent CB, and 1 decent LB, no defensive midfielders and 2 star forwards who want to leave, with one in open rebellion.

7th all day. Everton will finish above them.

But you don't know any of them, what they actually do or how they actually do it. Just because your meticulously crafted think-tank have decided that our staff are inept that doesn't make it so. We should be very happy with how this window has gone but two failed transfers - one fucked up by the selling club and the other a result of a player going against his word - seem to have baited quite a few people into losing their shit.
How do you know i don't know any of them?
Carry on happy clapping

Agree with this.

It was obvious from the start that Sanchez was our number one target. Don't know why anybody would think otherwise. The impact of not landing him we will have to wait and see, but I have a feeling that this season is going to be a strangely frustrating one where we just don't achieve the consistency we need in front of goal. Unfortunately, I don't think our rivals will suffer the same. We may do ok in one of the domestic cups, but the squad looks nowhere near deep enough to launch a serious CL campaign i.e. semis/final.

Unless the board are willing to sanction a £250m+ spending spree next summer Arsenal are done. Even if they do, £250m might not get that much if the market continues to go the way it has. Playing silly beggars all summer and then holding on to him against his wishes, especially in the manner it unfolded yesterday is as short-sighted and amateurish as it can get. Very few clubs can hold on to a player and let him run his contract down and it not affect them. They need a really strong squad and even stronger finances, Arsenal have neither. Its going to cost them £150m next summer to stand still.

Unless the board are willing to sanction a £250m+ spending spree next summer Arsenal are done. Even if they do, £250m might not get that much if the market continues to go the way it has. Playing silly beggars all summer and then holding on to him against his wishes, especially in the manner it unfolded yesterday is as short-sighted and amateurish as it can get. Very few clubs can hold on to a player and let him run his contract down and it not affect them. They need a really strong squad and even stronger finances, Arsenal have neither. Its going to cost them £150m next summer to stand still.

Our problems go beyond simply throwing money at it tbh. We're not in Tottenham's or Liverpool's situation where they had the manager but not the squad calibre.

At the moment I'm just glad Wenger didn't sign anymore of his useless bargain players and managed to shift a few.

As I said as soon as you threw money in our direction we folded and we were expecting as much, not to question why City didn't do this earlier seems a little naive.

Arsenal wouldn't have wanted to sell and as the buying club it was City who had to make an offer that was to good to refuse. Which admittedly you did, just on the last day.

Why not throw money at money at Arsenal when we first went in for Lemar or were chasing Mbappe? You can't blame them for not rushing to sign some random player on deadline day.
"Threw money in our direction" act with some decorum.

We all knew arsenal would fold, it was as inevitable as the sun rise. Maybe we didn't make a public bid to help you in negotiations, to actually make it so you didn't get taken to the cleaners as a £92mil bid for lemar would suggest (incidentally shortly after a public bid with the amount clearly know to all and sundry.)
But you know, that wouldn't fit the narrative would it, that city acted with everyone interest at heart. Blame us if you want but I 100% believe this was,is and will remain arsenals faultz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.