Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't play two attacking midfielders, or at least don't have to, one of them can easily be a more central midfielder like Yaya, Fernandinho or Gundogan. Then throw in Roberts, Brahim and the hoards of fantastic young attacking players we have and there is no issue at all as far as I'm concerned, we've got more quality depth there than last year (where we had Navas and Nolito instead or Bernardo and had Kelechi instead of Jesus for most of the year)

We do, we played 4-1-4-1 far more than any formation last season, and did last night too. De Bruyne even said in the interview that he and Silva are a pair of free 8's, i.e. 2 playing the same position, although because they're different players the role is different.

Roberts Brahim, and the hoards of young attacking players aren't going to be an adequate replacement for Sanchez though, are they?

If you go after Sanchez it's because you think you need a genuinely world class player, a 20 goals and 30 assists in a season player, who will decide the big games, elevate the level of the first team, infect the team with his incessant desire to win every lost ball, every tackle, every game.

You don't miss out on that and say, "Eh, I guess I could give these academy players and the lad just back from Celtic that role instead"

I want kids like Brahim, like Foden to get chances and come through into the team desperately, but they aren't the solution to any problem that Sanchez was going to solve. They can come through still when there's a squad of 20, that's small enough to allow them room, but they aren't going to replace a guy who would have played 40-50 games for us.

I get your point but I don't see any rival that has anything remotely as strong.

Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Assenssio, Isco, Madrid, Kroos, Ceballos.

Robben, Ribery, Lewandowski, James, Coman, Muller, Thiago.

Neymar, Cavani, Sanchez, Draxler, Di Maria, Pastore, Verratti. - I know that's not anything close to concrete but it's possible.

Those are the best teams in the world, the team who Pep will be trying to be better than, and their midfield is better. PL clubs might not rival us, but that's not the benchmark we're trying to beat now.

Also people could easily have said our attack was the best on paper last season, but we were easily outscored. And don't forget we have to have an attack good enough to beat one of those teams on Wednesday, and Chelsea/United/Spurs/Liverpool on Saturday.

He has already stated after the debut that he sees him possibly staying within the first team squad for the upcoming season and, as we all know, it is a squad game.

He did say that maybe Foden would stay with the squad, but I think even the most optimistic Foden fan would be thinking about regular first team training, EDS games (he's not even played EDS), 3 or 4 cup games this season including a start or 2 if the draw is good, maybe a CL game if we have a dead ringer like Celtic last season, and if he does really well, a couple of sub cameos in the league.

That would be 5-10 games and that's probably the most anyone can hope he'll get at 17. It would be the biggest step forward in youth development since the takeover.

Personally I'd be ecstatic if he played something like 2 cup games and made a league debut, that'd still be great for 17.

Good news. This guy is well informed about Sanchez and Chilean national team players in general. I still think there is something in the PSG rumors though.

We do, we played 4-1-4-1 far more than any formation last season, and did last night too. De Bruyne even said in the interview that he and Silva are a pair of free 8's, i.e. 2 playing the same position, although because they're different players the role is different.

Roberts Brahim, and the hoards of young attacking players aren't going to be an adequate replacement for Sanchez though, are they?

If you go after Sanchez it's because you think you need a genuinely world class player, a 20 goals and 30 assists in a season player, who will decide the big games, elevate the level of the first team, infect the team with his incessant desire to win every lost ball, every tackle, every game.

You don't miss out on that and say, "Eh, I guess I could give these academy players and the lad just back from Celtic that role instead"

I want kids like Brahim, like Foden to get chances and come through into the team desperately, but they aren't the solution to any problem that Sanchez was going to solve. They can come through still when there's a squad of 20, that's small enough to allow them room, but they aren't going to replace a guy who would have played 40-50 games for us.

Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Assenssio, Isco, Madrid, Kroos, Ceballos.

Robben, Ribery, Lewandowski, James, Coman, Muller, Thiago.

Neymar, Cavani, Sanchez, Draxler, Di Maria, Pastore, Verratti. - I know that's not anything close to concrete but it's possible.

Those are the best teams in the world, the team who Pep will be trying to be better than, and their midfield is better. PL clubs might not rival us, but that's not the benchmark we're trying to beat now.

Also people could easily have said our attack was the best on paper last season, but we were easily outscored.

He did say that maybe Foden would stay with the squad, but I think even the most optimistic Foden fan would be thinking about 3 or 4 cup games this season, maybe a CL game if we have a dead ringer like Celtic last season, and if he does really well, a couple of sub cameos in the league. That would be 5-10 games and that's probably the most anyone can hope he'll get at 17. It would be the biggest step forward in youth development since the takeover.

If he's with the squad he will get more than that.

There are many many reports of him in Chile right now, including uploading video to Instagram last night.

He probably isn't in Paris, but even if he is t doesn't matter, it would be insanity for Arsenal to sell him to us, and show exactly what they are, the money doesn't matter when everyone has so much, so they would be crazy to do any deal with us.

But him leaving the league is still great news for us as it weakens them.

We have plenty up top IMO, and if he going Paris means Roberts gets game time I'm happy.

We will somehow have to cope with Aguero and Jesus up front.

There are many many reports of him in Chile right now, including uploading video to Instagram last night.

He probably isn't in Paris, but even if he is t doesn't matter, it would be insanity for Arsenal to sell him to us, and show exactly what they are, the money doesn't matter when everyone has so much, so they would be crazy to do any deal with us.

But him leaving the league is still great news for us as it weakens them.

We have plenty up top IMO, and if he going Paris means Roberts gets game time I'm happy.

We will somehow have to cope with Aguero and Jesus up front.

agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.