Ali Benarbia - Still one of my all time Favourites

I fixed your last paragraph for you. No need to thank me. :-)

Ajax managed by the presumably 'not so great coach' Louis Van Gaal, took Kinky for £5m which was only £2m below what ManUre paid for Andrew Cole. Talking about Ajax, I won't won't go into detail over how many times they've won Europe's premier club competition & their standing in European football at the time.

In terms of the effect a manager can have; Aguero is arguably the best foreign striker ever in English football, however reports had it that Pep wasn'y happy with his all round game.

The Superstar Aguero didn't spit his dummy out, he got his head down, listened & evolved his game which made him the vital attacking component for Pep. No other manager had an issue with Aguero before that, & this is the difference a proper manager can have in improving his players further. Are you seriously claiming Pep couldn't integrate and improve Kinky, Eyal or Ali? Really?

Were city seen as a big club with a 'great coach' when buying Yaya, Silva, Aguero, Balotelli, Dzeko, Nasri etc? We hadn't won a major trophy in nearly 40 years, so why did none of the other 'great coaches' go in for any of those players?

Like I said, I respectfully disagree with your opinion, however I respect them all the same. My views are just my very humble layman opinion.. :-)

‘The great Alan Ball’, don’t forget that..

Your dates are off our kid, LVG left Ajax in 97, replaced by Olsen, you know him right? (: you should of went in to Ajax, as the leanest spell in a couple of decades happened during Gios stay, a whopping 12 games in 2 years also....

And I clearly said that Ali, out of for the 3, would of stood the best chance...

Again, i find people somehow feel they are disrespecting memories by choosing not to be rational.... to be successful it takes more than natural ability, Pep doesn’t just magically wave a wand and ‘hey presto’ the player is puscas incarnated...

Anyway, horses for courses pal, the beauty of football is we all see things through different lenses sometimes!

Last edited:
If I remember correctly from Sky's "One to Eleven" series, Stuart Pearce selected Benarbia, and spoke very highly of him, not just as a player, but as a person of immense character.

I fixed your last paragraph for you. No need to thank me. :-)

Ajax managed by the presumably 'not so great coach' Louis Van Gaal, took Kinky for £5m which was only £2m below what ManUre paid for Andrew Cole. Talking about Ajax, I won't won't go into detail over how many times they've won Europe's premier club competition & their standing in European football at the time.

In terms of the effect a manager can have; Aguero is arguably the best foreign striker ever in English football, however reports had it that Pep wasn'y happy with his all round game.

The Superstar Aguero didn't spit his dummy out, he got his head down, listened & evolved his game which made him the vital attacking component for Pep. No other manager had an issue with Aguero before that, & this is the difference a proper manager can have in improving his players further. Are you seriously claiming Pep couldn't integrate and improve Kinky, Eyal or Ali? Really?

Were city seen as a big club with a 'great coach' when buying Yaya, Silva, Aguero, Balotelli, Dzeko, Nasri etc? We hadn't won a major trophy in nearly 40 years, so why did none of the other 'great coaches' go in for any of those players?

Like I said, I respectfully disagree with your opinion, however I respect them all the same. My views are just my very humble layman opinion.. :-)
And your views are correct my friend.
Eyal and Ali and would have flourished under Pep.imo.
People forget that back in the day Football in this country wasn't anywhere near like the possession based game it is now...Eyal and Ali were top top players who stood out because of their high control and technique...both players were,in my humble opinion comparable to Silva etc today skill wise..and Pep would have easily encouraged them to do the hard running /press .....He managed to change Silva's game in that respect..similar to Augero...Eyal and Ali would have embraced the type of football Pep plays...they would have been waiting for that moment all their professional life's! That's what gifted central midfield players want more than anything. A Coach who knows how to win.

And your views are correct my friend.
Eyal and Ali and would have flourished under Pep.imo.
People forget that back in the day Football in this country wasn't anywhere near like the possession based game it is now...Eyal and Ali were top top players who stood out because of their high control and technique...both players were,in my humble opinion comparable to Silva etc today skill wise..and Pep would have easily encouraged them to do the hard running /press .....He managed to change Silva's game in that respect..similar to Augero...Eyal and Ali would have embraced the type of football Pep plays...they would have been waiting for that moment all their professional life's! That's what gifted central midfield players want more than anything. A Coach who knows how to win.
I concur 100%. Eyal & Ali were Pep type players from back then. Added to the instinctive flair that Kinky brought, again I'm sure Pep would have made the most out of his mercurial talents too.

All three are great players, who just needed a great manager like Pep to realise their full potential..

Remember reading about Ali B signing on the Friday then his debut the following day against Birmingham. Didnt he play a return pass from a short corner leading to Dunne shinning one in? Was a great season getting promoted under KK and was nice to go up as champs without sweating on a result on the final day of the season.

Your dates are off our kid, LVG left Ajax in 97, replaced by Olsen, you know him right? (: you should of went in to Ajax, as the leanest spell in a couple of decades happened during Gios stay, a whopping 12 games in 2 years also....

To be fair to Kinkladze, I seem to recall Olsen, who signed him, was sacked before the season even started and the new manager stuck Gio out on the left wing, a position I think everybody would agree, wasn't suited to his style of play.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.