Ali Benarbia - Still one of my all time Favourites

His best display for us, imo.

Thanks for that posting pal, I love watching clips of old games: ).. we had a talented squad and it's a pity we signed Benarbia at 32.(iirc) He was some player for us as was Berkovic. We signed another Algerian Djamel Belmadi around the same and I remember going to a reserve game at Wednesday to watch him. I think he came on as a sub and me and my mate started singing "Belmadi woaahh, Belmadi woaahh". It amused Kevin Keegan and he winked and smiled at us. Belmadi only played a handful of games for us though before moving on.

I was gutted it didn't work out for Keegan, but after some of the frankly dire football we served up in the 90s, seeing Berkovic, SWP & Benarbia twist & turn our opponents inside out was something else.

We could do with a young Benarbia to replace Merlin..

He was of a level at the time, a little like kinky. and great during dire times, however, not in the same league as merlin and I think we have a better player in his namesake!

The Wednesday game was my lad’s first away game. I remember telling him that not all away games are like that!

Last edited:
I can't be certain mate. I was stuck between it being ITV or Setanta tbh. The channel was only on for a season or two, and was only ever going to struggle if the most they had to offer was a Man City match in the 2nd tier of English football.

ITV Digital IIRC

One of the most immediately impactful players, following signing, in our history; and one of my all-time favourites.

I would have loved to see him in his prime. What a player.

That promotion season under Keegan remains one of my favourites, outside those where we won the Premier League.
Just watch bernardo he is a ten year's younger ali b

Benarbia & Berkovic... Two midgets alongside SWP who proved skill will trump all 15 year before Pep did...

We always talk about Benarbia, but Eyal was up there alongside uim. Funny though, I don't recall Berkovic playing that that at WHU??
I think Eyal was doing just fine at WHU ...until a certain Mr Hartson intervened.
Got the impression no one would stand up to Mr H and iirc Eyal was never the same player for the Hammers afterwards.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.