All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Look. I think is their second worst studio record, ahead of only Presence. Maybe that’s actually good news — that’s how many great songs this band did.

But I don’t think I’ve heard a back-to-back acoustic blues/folk song pair committed to vinyl that’s better than “Tangerine” and “That’s The Way.” They are so beautiful and airy they float away on clouds. They’re such moving, glorious songs. I never have been and won’t ever be tired of them.

With few exceptions this is a campfire record. It’s blues and folk, not rock and roll. It’s not hard-edged, it doesn’t crunch. Bonham and JPJ have their occasional moments, but this is a thoroughly Page/Plant effort.

With one of rock’s best rhythm sections and best set of Marshall stacks effectively shelved, and since I love both those elements of LZ so much, I find it hard to even consider this part of their catalogue, even though obviously this digs so deep into the roots of rock and roll’s core it hits the earth’s mantle. But if anyone wants to argue their ability to make these roots songs sound so good just expands their legend, I won’t quibble.

“Immigrant Song” — damn, if only they’d saved this or “Out on the Tiles” for Houses of the Holy and replaced the horrific “No Quarter” with one or the other, that’d be a near perfect record. They feel out of place here I think.

“Celebration Day” is possibly their most underrated song. It’s so dirty and jumpy at the same time. But I can’t handle the length nor pace of “Since I’ve Been Loving You” — lugubrious nightclub blues will always be lost on me. Zep is good for at least one real clunker a record, and for me this is it.
“Gallows Pole” I’ve always liked for the strange little two note pick-up in the main chord (the one that goes “Da-ding” at the end) and Bonham gets a chance to pull the train along at his pace.

And then “Tangerine” — if you’ve ever seen “Almost Famous”, one of the best movies about rock and roll ever made, and the best one ever made about music criticism — you recognize how poignant this is when it starts playing.

But “That’s The Way” is my favo(u)rite here. I haven’t narrowed down my funeral songs yet, but this will be a finalist. It has always made me weep.

Honestly after that the record ends for me because nothing can compare and while “Stomp” and “Harper” are fine, they feel anti-climactic to me.

Uneven as all LZ records are, this is a 7/10 for me — and a lot of that is because I am not as focused on true blues, even great blues when it comes to preferences — but I’ll repeat what I’ve written before: when at their apex musically, I don’t know that another band can compare.
Nice review Foggy.........

Look. I think is their second worst studio record, ahead of only Presence. Maybe that’s actually good news — that’s how many great songs this band did.

But I don’t think I’ve heard a back-to-back acoustic blues/folk song pair committed to vinyl that’s better than “Tangerine” and “That’s The Way.” They are so beautiful and airy they float away on clouds. They’re such moving, glorious songs. I never have been and won’t ever be tired of them.

With few exceptions this is a campfire record. It’s blues and folk, not rock and roll. It’s not hard-edged, it doesn’t crunch. Bonham and JPJ have their occasional moments, but this is a thoroughly Page/Plant effort.

With one of rock’s best rhythm sections and best set of Marshall stacks effectively shelved, and since I love both those elements of LZ so much, I find it hard to even consider this part of their catalogue, even though obviously this digs so deep into the roots of rock and roll’s core it hits the earth’s mantle. But if anyone wants to argue their ability to make these roots songs sound so good just expands their legend, I won’t quibble.

“Immigrant Song” — damn, if only they’d saved this or “Out on the Tiles” for Houses of the Holy and replaced the horrific “No Quarter” with one or the other, that’d be a near perfect record. They feel out of place here I think.

“Celebration Day” is possibly their most underrated song. It’s so dirty and jumpy at the same time. But I can’t handle the length nor pace of “Since I’ve Been Loving You” — lugubrious nightclub blues will always be lost on me. Zep is good for at least one real clunker a record, and for me this is it.
“Gallows Pole” I’ve always liked for the strange little two note pick-up in the main chord (the one that goes “Da-ding” at the end) and Bonham gets a chance to pull the train along at his pace.

And then “Tangerine” — if you’ve ever seen “Almost Famous”, one of the best movies about rock and roll ever made, and the best one ever made about music criticism — you recognize how poignant this is when it starts playing.

But “That’s The Way” is my favo(u)rite here. I haven’t narrowed down my funeral songs yet, but this will be a finalist. It has always made me weep.

Honestly after that the record ends for me because nothing can compare and while “Stomp” and “Harper” are fine, they feel anti-climactic to me.

Uneven as all LZ records are, this is a 7/10 for me — and a lot of that is because I am not as focused on true blues, even great blues when it comes to preferences — but I’ll repeat what I’ve written before: when at their apex musically, I don’t know that another band can compare.
Great review. This is the second time this week that I have heard the term "campfire record" - I won't give away the other place heard it because it informs my next choice on the Album Review Club thread (not that my choice is a campfire record - how's that for confusing?)

Great review. This is the second time this week that I have heard the term "campfire record" - I won't give away the other place heard it because it informs my next choice on the Album Review Club thread (not that my choice is a campfire record - how's that for confusing?)
What is a campfire record ?

Lovely write up, sir. And although this might be my second least favourite Zep album, Presence certainly isn't my least fave and the idea of replacing "No Quarter", get out of here.

I'm back with you on the Blues thing, to a point. IIRC, you were not big on In My Time of Dying, whilst that probably makes my LZ top 10. I find "Since..." to be a great example of a type of song that is not one of my favoured styles and it has enough about it to keep the scores high on the doors.

I must revisit the wonderful "Almost Famous", which I saw at the cinema on release and may even have on DVD: I don't remember "Tangerine" but I considered it a special song long before the movie. “That’s The Way” has snuck up on me over the years; as has much of the acoustic stuff. When I first bought the album, I was much more interested in the heavy stuff but I've softened with age, in more ways than one, and although it is still rockier stuff that I love most (from any band), my fondness for this album has grown considerably with time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.