All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

The Band
The Band
Who ever called Kermit the frog out on this album, great ear, you can't un-here it................ :-)

Only short on this week as I have been working today when I wasn't due to.

@BlueHammer85 no need to update the table as I missed cut off but I thought it still worth sticking in here thoughts anyways. I need to be regimented next week.

It feels like a 6.5 - unusually for me the stand out element of their sound is the piano on certain tracks (not that I don't enjoy the piano but is isn't usually what I hone in on first up). Unless its Ray or the like.

Anyways, I wasn't blown away on first listen but it has grown on me - Its good music (again it suffers if it is played in the car but gives a much thicker sound on Sonos).

I imagine them to be good players live (not sure what I am basing that on, just a hunch).

As posted on other threads, I have been watching the Beatles documentary and this album is sort of anti-Beatles. Beatles have lots of songs that people like but by their albums lack depth and are full of filler (imho just before I get lynched) - I couldn't really give you particular songs that I really favour throughout this album but I don't feel the need to skip any of it - the album flows really well and the songs compliment each other (tried to articulate this before the 'feel' of a band, sound or album).

Screw it it gets a 7/10 (even with Kermit) - hell, I didn't even flinch on some of the wind instruments that they've used. Appropriately deployed to enhance the music instead of trying to come off as being clever or how well rounded they are musically (yes Prog rockers I'm looking in your direction). ;-)

Are these a good measure of Americana?

I think me and this genre are going to get on alright..............

The Band
The Band
Who ever called Kermit the frog out on this album, great ear, you can't un-here it................ :-)

Only short on this week as I have been working today when I wasn't due to.

@BlueHammer85 no need to update the table as I missed cut off but I thought it still worth sticking in here thoughts anyways. I need to be regimented next week.

It feels like a 6.5 - unusually for me the stand out element of their sound is the piano on certain tracks (not that I don't enjoy the piano but is isn't usually what I hone in on first up). Unless its Ray or the like.

Anyways, I wasn't blown away on first listen but it has grown on me - Its good music (again it suffers if it is played in the car but gives a much thicker sound on Sonos).

I imagine them to be good players live (not sure what I am basing that on, just a hunch).

As posted on other threads, I have been watching the Beatles documentary and this album is sort of anti-Beatles. Beatles have lots of songs that people like but by their albums lack depth and are full of filler (imho just before I get lynched) - I couldn't really give you particular songs that I really favour throughout this album but I don't feel the need to skip any of it - the album flows really well and the songs compliment each other (tried to articulate this before the 'feel' of a band, sound or album).

Screw it it gets a 7/10 (even with Kermit) - hell, I didn't even flinch on some of the wind instruments that they've used. Appropriately deployed to enhance the music instead of trying to come off as being clever or how well rounded they are musically (yes Prog rockers I'm looking in your direction). ;-)

Are these a good measure of Americana?

I think me and this genre are going to get on alright..............

nice one @Onholiday(somemightsay) - I think that would have kept the score roughly the same anyhow

Oops sorry I missed the deadline on this BH, its so busy atm lead up to Christmas and The Beatles 8 hour thingy. which Ive watched twice already.
Im familiar with The Last waltz and generally The Band's music (I never liked they called themselves The Band) bunch of scruffy fuckers that played a certain way. :)

What an absolutely superb album.

Ironically I'd heard a few of their songs as my Dad used to play some of them in a band he was in, but I'd never listened to this album. I never realised how much I was missing out as I'd heard a lot of people say it was good.

In some ways, I think this would sound a lot better in summer when it's warm, sat outside with a cold beer. Or, even better, sat in some no-mark bar in the US drinking until late. I don't know why, but this album just brings back trips to the US when I was younger - it's got that sound. We always preferred finding no-mark bars where there were more neon-lights than punters and where bored-barmaids would serve till late. Spoiling food with "Kick Yo Ass" sauce, playing pool with massive pockets and listening to exactly this type of music on old jukeboxes. Swapping stories with pissed up locals who were amazed we were there. This music is "that"!

I never would've had myself down as a country/folk fan, but having hear this and Drive-By Truckers on the other thread, plus other songs I'm really starting to warm to this sound. I can see me playing a lot more by The Band and looking to other bands in this area.

Overall, this album will be played a LOT when it warms up and I'm out in the garden with a beer. It's absolutely brilliant.

9/10

33/1100

1639740460066.png

Lady Soul is the twelfth studio album by American singer Aretha Franklin released in early 1968, by Atlantic Records.

Lady Soul was Franklin's third R&B chart-topper and reached number two on the Billboard 200, tying with I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You for her highest-charting album on the pop chart. The album also included some of her biggest hit singles: "Chain of Fools" (#2 Pop), and "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" (#8 Pop), and "(Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone" (#5 Pop). It eventually sold well over a million copies in the United States alone. The album was reissued on Rhino Records in a deluxe edition in 1995.

1. Chain of Fools
2. Money Won't Change You
3. People Get Ready
4. Niki Hoeky
5.(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Women
6.(Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone
7. Good to Me as I Am to You
8. Come Back Baby
9. Groovin
10. Ain’t No Way

Here we go! Review No.33 - The Queen of Soul returns once again! this time with her twelfth Studio Album 'Lady Soul' - It really is all about her voice, no getting away from it - she is the best in the business at hitting and belting out the right notes although worth noting her Piano talents on some of these tracks,
There's some classics on here - 'Chain of Fools' , '(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman', 'Since You've Been Gone (Sweet Sweet Baby)' and it's flip side 'Ain't No Way' - Carole King tailor made for Aretha writing a few of these and she has strong backing all throughout with Bobby Womack, Eric Clapton and King Curtis appearing.
Raw, upbeat and soulful Pop with one of the greatest voices of all time at her peak. What's not to like!

This placed number 259 out of the Top 1000

7/10

Last edited:
I had this album for a long time and Ive always loved it. Its a collection of songs in the R & B genre beautufully sung by the Queen of Soul.
Its a really nice laid back groove, lovely.

I'd give it more but it doesnt make the hairs on my neck stand up like some albums do and Aretha didnt write any of the songs, although I think she co-wrote, Since You Been Gone and Good To Me As I Am To You. (Clapton plays guitar on this track)
The track Look Out Cleveland is not on my copy of the album so mustve been added.
My album has 10 tracks only so I always felt a bit ripped off coming in at barely 30 minutes. (I was used to 40 minute albums)

7/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.