Alvarez done deal - £82m to Atletico

This is our problem. Why would any top level striker sign for us if they have aspirations of starting every week.
That’s why we need versatility. It’s the same with the Rodri ‘cover’. That cover also needs to be a potential starter themselves in another position. In the same way that our Rodri cover needs to be able to play as both an 8 and a 6, our Haaland cover also needs to be able to start in midfield or out wide and thrive there. Preferably in the middle as we have loads of wing options already. We need a midfielder who can also play false 9. Olmo would have actually been perfect to replace Alvarez.

How on earth a team can pay that amount for Alvarez when Bernardo has a release clause for £50m amazes me
Bernardo is worth £100m in a market where Alvarez is worth £70m

Something tells me clubs are being told/know that Bernie will be at Benfica pretty soon in his career. Regardless of who he signs for.

With respect, I think that would be the very worst kind of signing we could make. He can ONLY play striker. So what would we do with him for 85% of the season? Jesus played wide and Alvarez played midfield. What would Toney do?

We don’t need a striker to replace Alvarez, we need a versatile midfielder.

Agree on Toney, but I'm not sure we need an attacking midfielder bringing in either.

We've done that by bringing in savio as it frees up Bernardo for that role and I think Bobb will be as good if not better than Alvarez in the centre.

Only spot in the squad is a deeper midfielder.

How on earth a team can pay that amount for Alvarez when Bernardo has a release clause for £50m amazes me
Bernardo is worth £100m in a market where Alvarez is worth £70m
Bernardo is worth 100m to City but nowhere near that for anyone else. Bernardo would be a shadow of the player he is here in any other team out there.

A very underrated player IMO and I don`t understand some of the criticism he gets from some Blue Mooners.
Got to admit I was a bit underwhelmed by his signing but he had a good start, faded a little then came back well towards the end of the season, definitely a player of value to us, just wish he was 10 years younger, a bit like me and you!

Edit, just for clarity we're referencing Kovacic here.

i get a little confused by the talk of us replacing rodri still.

we signed Kovacic, a champions league winning, premier league winning senior pro for a great price. he may not be exactly like Rodri but then noone is

facts are he played in a very similar position for Chelsea for years, its Pep that refuses to play him more regularly as the no6 and give rodders a break and i dont see that changing with someone else - Kovacic is as about a good as a reserve as you are gonna get
When I said sorting out the Rodri situation that doesn't necessarily mean buying anyone. Pep has been looking at a couple of the youth players (for long term at least) and trying to second guess Pep is a fools game. Perhaps Kovacic with someone else alongside being played more is his plan for the season? We've got Savio and Bobb at least for Silva's RW role so perhaps we'll see more of Silva in CM with less minutes elsewhere as even his batteries must run flat sometime?

It needs to go on a replacement for Álvarez. Premier league fine we can cope. Champions league is a different scenario.

You need individual quality all the way through to win that. Madrid have Vini, Rodrygo and now Mbappe. It’s why they win that trophy individual world class talent in attack

We have goal scoring wise a player that can strike fear and score in Haaland and Foden , Kev if fit in attack. Alvarez came up with some goals in that competition when needed, even some big goals against Leipzig.

You need to replace that.
I have faith in Bobb replacing Alvarez if given the starts he had, our priority is when rodders is out we look awful in midfield, that is the only positon I worry about strengthening as urgent

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.