Ambulance Response Times

Insufficient resources and excessive numbers of people going to A&E who don't need to, or should I say, wouldn't need to if GPs and walk-in centres were open and functioning properly.
I manage a WIC and we’ve been open all the way through. We shut two and I was redeployed but we kept one open 8-22 everyday. The numbers we are seeing has doubled. Loads of staff have left and in this role it can take a year to get up to speed.

Ambulance service is fucked, every twat who phones up is entitled to an ambulance and therein lies the problem, the amount of lazy fuckwits who could make their own way to a doctor or A&E phones 999, stubbed toe, headache etc. A&E just can’t process them quick enough, the NHS has shot loads of money but is just mis managed, my wife has worked for them in an admin role for around 4 years, in that time they’ve had 3 reviews and pissing about of job roles, departments etc, how many man hours and cost does that take up, some new manager comes in creates chaos spends loads restructuring and then fucks off and then it begins again.
As for calling the fire service we could well come (however it isn’t in our role to do it), but then we get tied up with people for hours whilst waiting for the ambulance with the patient as we have a duty of care once we turn up, meanwhile that fire engine isn’t available for its primary role. There are calls for more integration of the services but there are many issues around this training etc and obviously pay been the big one.
I share the OP frustrations here and there is no easy answers I’m afraid, ive been to quite a few incidents like this recently and I think it’s down to the call handler how it’s resolved at the time.

I don't envy the job they do or the circumstances they have to do it in currently.

The GP point is a very valid one and it varies from area to area, but the strain it is putting on emergency services is very evident.

My mother in law got a GP appointment last week in East Manchester within 2 days, they are great there. My wife rang up our local GP in South Manchester and was told she can have a telephone appointment in 2 weeks, despite her telling them it's something needing visual assessment.

We live in an area that has seen a number of new houses put up in the past few years, the GP can't cope. Neither can the schools, with all 3 in the village oversubscribed, 30 in a class as a minimum, and some children having to go several miles away to attend primary school.

So now we wait 2 weeks, get a telephone consultation, then will absolutely be asked to go in so a doctor can check. In the meantime if anything changes or my wife googles too much then panic sets in and still the GP can't do anything. I got a letter for a 40th checkup a year or two back, every time I've rang it's 'we have no appointments'. Understandable during a pandemic, but I'm 43 now and have given up that I'll have the checkup.

The NHS is great, but it's not funded sufficiently to give everyone in every area the free and prompt care we're entitled to.

I don't envy the job they do or the circumstances they have to do it in currently.

The GP point is a very valid one and it varies from area to area, but the strain it is putting on emergency services is very evident.

My mother in law got a GP appointment last week in East Manchester within 2 days, they are great there. My wife rang up our local GP in South Manchester and was told she can have a telephone appointment in 2 weeks, despite her telling them it's something needing visual assessment.

We live in an area that has seen a number of new houses put up in the past few years, the GP can't cope. Neither can the schools, with all 3 in the village oversubscribed, 30 in a class as a minimum, and some children having to go several miles away to attend primary school.

So now we wait 2 weeks, get a telephone consultation, then will absolutely be asked to go in so a doctor can check. In the meantime if anything changes or my wife googles too much then panic sets in and still the GP can't do anything. I got a letter for a 40th checkup a year or two back, every time I've rang it's 'we have no appointments'. Understandable during a pandemic, but I'm 43 now and have given up that I'll have the checkup.

The NHS is great, but it's not funded sufficiently to give everyone in every area the free and prompt care we're entitled to.
They want to be build 300 houses on green belt near us so that’s a conservative 150 kids that needs a school and 5-600 who need doctors/dentist these things aren’t addressed when building houses, house builders should be made to supply buildings for these things as part of the planning, so they won’t make as much profit we’ll tough shit.

Had absolutely no idea the emergency services were in such a bad state. Quite sad to read that one of the few things that you could be proud of about the UK is seemingly on its arse as well. Hope you're getting better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.