American Blues

You captured the weekend in photos well, Matt. And if it works out that we can make a November trip, I am all for it! I am just waiting to hear back from a couple of Blues, and whether I watch the games at COMS or Mary D's, I am certain it will be a superior time. I look forward to seeing everyone from the trip soon, whether it be in Manchester, New York, or elsewhere. Cheers!

MotownBlue said:
I’m here in Motown (Detroit) and I have been a soccer fan since that Brummie git, Trevor Francis, became the first million dollar international transfer back in 1979 when he left Forest to join the Detroit Express.

I have been a mega City fan since about 1995. When I first heard Oasis, I decided that I was going to be a Man United fan like Liam and Noel. Thank goodness I had a good friend at the time who was a Blue (family still in Derbyshire) and she set me straight. I shudder to think that I was almost a filthy, arrogant, glory-hunting, prawn munching red.

Been through a lot with City in the last 15 years. You guys know all the ups and downs, yeah? These days I find myself checking the ESPN Soccernet or Bluemoon every 30 minutes to an hour to see if we have snatched up another transfer, haha. I still can’t get me head around this change. I’m still trying to decide if this means things are truly going to be different, or if we are going to lose to Blackpool in September before destroying Arsenal as per “Typical City” rules…

I have to chime in with a lot of the other Shermans on here – things are very different now in following City in the USA with Fox Soccer Channel or ESPN showing at least one City match every week. It sure beats using Ustream or whatever to find an internet feed. Lord knows how many times I sat through shyte feeds just to see a match. During last February’s Chelsea match, I jumped out of my seat in front of the television screaming like a loon when Carlos slotted in his penalty and my fiancé couldn’t help but laugh at how crazy it all looked.

I work as a brewmaster in a brewpub just outside Detroit, so I have met many, many English ex-pats in the last decade. The three to whom I have become closest are a Gooner, a Sunderland fan and a Filthy, Dirty, Horrible, Pathetic, Prawn Munching, Glory Hunting Red. We have certainly had some fun in those years and I have taken more than my share of abuse as a City fan. Now they are all constantly complaining that we are ruining the game with all these high-priced transfers and buying silverware. Not sure I agree with them. I seem to remember the Filthy, Dirty, Horrible, Pathetic, Prawn Munching, Glory Hunting Reds and Liverpool and Chelsea spending quite a bit of money on transfers in the past.

Speaking of my Brit friends, I would like to pose a question to all Brit Blues on here:

Is it ok to have a “second team”? My Gooner mate always tells me that second teams are a joke and that no true English footie fan does this. I ask this question because about 6 years ago or so, I met a Stokie on a musician’s fan message board and he turned me on to the ways of the Potteries. Stoke were in the Championship then and their ways seemed to mirror City’s (beat great teams – lose to Port Vale) so I made them my second team. I’m not going to stop cheering for Stoke and singing Delilah or whatever, I just want some good ammunition to use against my Gooner mate (who grew up in WATFORD but liked the red kit as a kid).

Anyway, love reading here and spend a bit of time on Bluemoon EVERY DAY. Looking forward to a great season ahead. Onward and Upwards!

CTID,

Tim in Detroit
Not a brit Blue but I have been a Yank blue for over 30 years!! I do have a second team and they just got promoted from Division 2 (The Real 4th Division) up one Division. Its Rochdale. Long story but I always look out for their results. I would say in order for it to be a bonafide "second" team they have to be of a much lower standing than our beloved City. I couldnt really see the point of having another Prem team or even a "Championship League" team as your second team. But these rules arent set in stone....

NJ here, just back from Baltimore where I met citymad and his mate as well as numerous blues in Slainte. Great weekend, lovely weather, heavy drinking, shit game. Bring on the real season and our new galacticos (Ozil please, Garry).

grew up near kettering, lots of rag supporters, I've supported city since junior school, saw them a bunch in the eighties, still have my card from tha Maine road social club. Have been in eastern Idaho/western wyoming (near Jackson Hole) for over twenty years and have converted a lot of people over here to follow city. The internet makes it a lot easier to follow nowdays

Chippy said:
NJ here, just back from Baltimore where I met citymad and his mate as well as numerous blues in Slainte. Great weekend, lovely weather, heavy drinking, shit game. Bring on the real season and our new galacticos (Ozil please, Garry).

Here here. Meeting Mancini in the beautiful inner harbor, as well as loads of other blues, 4 of which travelled up from Greensboro, NC, Friday night at Slainte, tailgating in the parking lot outside the magnificent M T stadium before the game, the small army of Gooners to our right in the lower end zone trying to wind us up and the merry band of City fans who never stopped singing despite the shit that was being served up on the pitch. All in all a top weekend in a lovely city. Glad you got home safely chippy.

Been viewin the forum since the start of last season. Fan for 2 years can't hate all the rags and chelsea fairweathers over here in the states so I decided to go blue :) Huge fan and really pumped for the start of the season!!

floridablues said:
Been viewin the forum since the start of last season. Fan for 2 years can't hate all the rags and chelsea fairweathers over here in the states so I decided to go blue :) Huge fan and really pumped for the start of the season!!

I'm glad you all could make it - for anyone there at Slainte -- I was the American having his picture taken with Gary Cook in front of the new plaque -- it was a great weekend for all USA city supporters -- well done all the way around!

americancity said:
floridablues said:

I'm glad you all could make it - for anyone there at Slainte -- I was the American having his picture taken with Gary Cook in front of the new plaque -- it was a great weekend for all USA city supporters -- well done all the way around!
Not a bad boozer (the Hat would give it a Ten break) though the landlord was a smarmy cnut who thought he'd be clever and put the jam rag flag up the day of the game then started Screaming like a girl when one of the lads decided to "take" it down. WTF he expected I dont know, but well done Freddie.

Hey guys I might be heading to England/Wales/Scotland/Ireland for a school trip but wanted to put up the prices and info and see if you guys think its a good deal...

Day 1 - Fly overnight to Ireland

Day 2 - Shannon • County Kerry
Arrive in Shannon
Travel to County Kerry

Day 3 - Killarney • County Kerry
Travel through Killarney
Take an excursion to the Ring of Kerry
Visit the Bog Village Museum

Day 4 - County Kerry • Dublin
See Cashel Rock
Visit Blarney Castle
Continue on to Dublin

Day 5 - Dublin
Take a guided tour of Dublin
See the Book of Kells at Trinity College
Visit St. Patrick’s Cathedral

Day 6 - Dublin • North Wales
Take a ferry from Dublin to Holyhead
Visit a Welsh castle
Travel through Snowdonia

Day 7 - Lake District • Edinburgh
Travel through the Lake District
Visit Rydal Mount
Continue on to Edinburgh

Day 8 - Edinburgh
Take a guided tour of Edinburgh
Take a walking tour of Edinburgh
Board a night train to London

Day 9 - London
Take a guided tour of London
Take a walking tour of London
Optional: London Eye and Thames River cruise (April-September)

Day 10 - London
Optional: Windsor Castle

Day 11 - Depart for home

Cost is $2537 us dollars what do you think?

floridablues said:
Hey guys I might be heading to England/Wales/Scotland/Ireland for a school trip but wanted to put up the prices and info and see if you guys think its a good deal...

Day 1 - Fly overnight to Ireland

Day 2 - Shannon • County Kerry
Arrive in Shannon
Travel to County Kerry

Day 3 - Killarney • County Kerry
Travel through Killarney
Take an excursion to the Ring of Kerry
Visit the Bog Village Museum

Day 4 - County Kerry • Dublin
See Cashel Rock
Visit Blarney Castle
Continue on to Dublin

Day 5 - Dublin
Take a guided tour of Dublin
See the Book of Kells at Trinity College
Visit St. Patrick’s Cathedral

Day 6 - Dublin • North Wales
Take a ferry from Dublin to Holyhead
Visit a Welsh castle
Travel through Snowdonia

Day 7 - Lake District • Edinburgh
Travel through the Lake District
Visit Rydal Mount
Continue on to Edinburgh

Day 8 - Edinburgh
Take a guided tour of Edinburgh
Take a walking tour of Edinburgh
Board a night train to London

Day 9 - London
Take a guided tour of London
Take a walking tour of London
Optional: London Eye and Thames River cruise (April-September)

Day 10 - London
Optional: Windsor Castle

Day 11 - Depart for home

Cost is $2537 us dollars what do you think?

For a school trip this is great value IMO, make sure you take the 'optional' tours in London though, especially Windsor Castle as its truly magnificent! Ireland is excellent and Dublin is especially worth seeing, but the Temple Bar district will probably be out of your scope due to your age :-(

Just one real peice of advice ..."Do not (ever) kiss the Blarney Stone" ...trust me on this one" :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.