American owners a serious threat to our game ?

Anyone who doesn't like modern football and all the money in it needs to blame:

1. Those clubs who insisted on keeping home gate money for themselves instead of sharing it.
2. Those clubs who grabbed the lion's share of TV money, leaving the rest with scraps.
3. Those clubs who pushed for and got the Premier League, a monument for unabated greed.

By making top-level football much more profitable, they put out (in effect) a big sign that said 'Capitalists, come get me. You can make big bucks here.'

Once that genie was out of the bottle going back was impossible, short of a total collapse.

It's worth remembering that 'traditional' football clubs were run on buttons. They were typically owned by local 'businessmen' more interested in the prestige of sitting in the Directors' Box than in making money. Indeed, for many years it was forbidden for Directors to be paid at all. Nottingham Forest was, for many years, an actual club, with members and a Committee, not even a Limited Company.

That is no more coming back than drainpipe trousers, trolleybuses and peacetime conscription. It is gone forever.
Bang on... and one of those clubs covered in points 1 to 3 was.... Arsenal!

Maybe the yanks should trademark the name 'Woolwich Arsenal' and make loads of money, although that didn't workout to well for scrawny neck down the M62.
Woolwich Nomad's would be a better term, as without Henry Norris bankrolling them and moving them into Spurs territory they would have folded.
And I'm still to find a Gooner who can tell me their top scorer in their wonderful promotion season

Sounds like something a woke hipster say. You could get a job as a writer at the Gaurdian by suggesting Americans are bad for football and the likes of Bin Salman are its saviours.

Well done. Have a free latte, ill make a donation to Shameema Begum in your name
Are you having a laugh? The fucking Guardian is the most anti-Emirati rag in the pressworld.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.