American report on the Engand game...

I guess people are just looking for any excuse to puff out their chests and feel superior.

Imagine a message board of US basketball fans mocking newspaper reports covering the English basketball team in the 2012 games, laughing at slightly explanatory passages in the article and pointing out expressions peculiar to UK English as evidence of your cluelessness.

You all would find that pretty pathetic, no? Well, that's what you're doing here.

somervillain said:
I guess people are just looking for any excuse to puff out their chests and feel superior.

Imagine a message board of US basketball fans mocking newspaper reports covering the English basketball team in the 2012, laughing at slightly explanatory passages in the article and pointing out expressions peculiar to UK English as evidence of your cluelessness.

You all would find that pretty pathetic, no? Well, that's what you're doing here.

Not all! Just some numpties ;-)

Damocles said:
I'm sure Ant-emilydesign and the others on this thread will be able to fully explain the Shotgun formation to me.

yes, isn't that when your girlfriend gets pregnant and her dad forces you to marry her?

You have to realize that there aren't many sports journalists in the US who cover football on a full time basis. During the WC the media outlets use their most famous reporters to cover it, even though they barely know the game. Only one of our in game commentators is an American. It's no different than watching Sky Sports cover the Super Bowl, they basically have no idea what they're talking about.

I'd say that, in order of popularity in The States American football, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, NASCAR and golf all rank well ahead of football in popularity here. Plus, the only international competitions that we care about are the Olympics. It's probably to be expected though as we don't have a decent professional football league and none of the world's best players play here.

Damocles said:
I'm sure Ant-emilydesign and the others on this thread will be able to fully explain the Shotgun formation to me.

Thats a sport played only in America so why would people know anything about it in any other country? The MLS is very popular in the states and football is the biggest sport in the world.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_formation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_formation</a>

Theres your shotgun formation, idiot.

Can't wait to go back to England and watch a match with you lot.

Wow a link to a wiki page, thanks for explaining it for us. And since we also play a sport that is international, can you tell me what a balk is and a few examples of how one can be committed?

Ant-emilydesign said:
Damocles said:

Thats a sport played only in America so why would people know anything about it in any other country? The MLS is very popular in the states and football is the biggest sport in the world.
No, it isn't. The US has a population that is around six times the size of England's, yet it only has 16 professional teams and the average attendance is around 16,000.

And American Football isn't only played in one country. In fact, I dare say it is proportionally just as popular in England as 'soccer' is in the US.

I really don't understand the problem with a newspaper making a story about something that is unfamiliar to its readers easier for them to understand. It happens absolutely everywhere.

Cheesy said:
Really don't understand why this bothers some people so much. Really, who gives a shit?

I agree. Reminds me of the sort of people who cannot pass up the opportunity to whine about Iphone owners...;- )

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.