Americas Cup

Gelsons Dad said:
Lancet Fluke said:
I have two issues with the America's Cup. Firstly it is absolutely shit and secondly barely any of "Team USA" seemed to actually be from the USA. Seriously what is the point in it? *****.

How many City players are from Manchester?

The money was from America hence Oracle team USA. The NZ money came from the NZ tax payers!

Calling it absolute shit makes no sense either. It's like F1 for boats but better. These are the ultimate speed machines pushing the technological boundaries to the limits. The AC72 can sail at 40kts boat speed in an 18 kts breeze. They can make ground down wind at almost twice the wind speed. Just try getting your head around that. A wind powered boat traveling at twice the wind speed? It doesn't get greener than that!

I don't accept the argument about how many City players come from Manchester at all. Club sport and international sport are (or at least should be) different things. For instance, I don't expect City to be full of Mancunians but I do expect the England team to be full of English players. Calling it absolute shit makes perfect sense because I think it is absolute shit. It would make a lot less sense for me to say it is brilliant.<br /><br />-- Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:31 am --<br /><br />
Gelsons Dad said:
mick10 said:
Just can't see the attraction in this sport at all. Well maybe the attraction (impressive vessels etc, but out off my lifestyle!) But the excitement. Why?

Did you watch any of the races?

I watched some of the race last night. It was tedious in the extreme. I am astonished that they even put it on television. It doesn't strike me as being a spectator sport really.

watched most of the races, the teamwork and boat speed was admirable, really do not understand how a boat can travel faster than the wind, will have to Wiki it later. Feel gutted for NZ, only needed one win to take the cup but were up against a ruthless opponent who never made a mistake. Excelent

Gelsons Dad said:
mick10 said:
Just can't see the attraction in this sport at all. Well maybe the attraction (impressive vessels etc, but out off my lifestyle!) But the excitement. Why?

Did you watch any of the races?

No. But as a job I work as a motorcycle technician for Suzuki. Everyone thinks I should be racing them at the weekends and be driving motorcycles every spare moment. The opposite I'm afraid. As for motor sport, again the same opinion as the yacht race. I cannot see the excitement in it. Not saying those who like it are tossers or whatever, It's I just don't see where to get that rush of excitement like when the ball hits the back of the net.

Lancet Fluke said:
I have two issues with the America's Cup. Firstly it is absolutely shit and secondly barely any of "Team USA" seemed to actually be from the USA. Seriously what is the point in it? *****.
Just one yank in the winning team .it like when they play the world series

If anyone ever gets the chance to go on a Yacht then jump at it.
I got a chance to "crew" on a 32ft? Yacht for 2weeks many Blue moons ago.
We sailed out of Craobh Haven Scotland & toured the Inner Hebrides,the Captain Liam Carver actually told us he was a tad anxious,which really does mean something, when we skirted in poor weather the Corryvreckan Whirlpool in Argyll, Scotland
We hit some really poor weather & the rush from actually being involved in crewing a boat going at speed & struggling through waves was unbelievable,
If i hadn't have done that i would probably only have a passing interest in the Americas Cup.
Give it a go.

I wouldn't slag it because I don't really understand it. But I watched a bit of it because I'll watch virtually any sport. I'm sure the fitness and skill involved are immense but it certainly doesn't do it for me as a spectator sport.

I've just seen that the winning team needed £150,000,000 sponsorship from some rich guy to get to that level. So I don't expect it to be catching on in Wythenshawe any time soon.

Can't really get how the English guy can just be summoned to help out when America were getting twatted either.

To me it seems a fairer comparison than foreigners playing for City would be England getting beat at half time and bunging Messi a wedge to come on for the second half and win it for us.

Bump

The 2021 round robin qualifiers, to get to race NZ for the cup, going on now in Aukland...

I won't spoil it if anyone's not seen it, so here's the full replay of Day 1...

Day 2...

Day 3 starts in a few hours...

But all on YT with live streams too.

Been great so far. Come on, Sir Ben!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.