Amir Khan fight..

ono said:
If Khan can get some good wins on his resume, he can use it as a spring board to superstardom.

Therein lies the problem, he's protected from class boxers as a cashcow for the promoters, and he already thinks that he is a legend, in his own mind.

Should fight John Murray and Mitchell but we all know that won't happen while they hand pick fights for him.

ono said:
scowy68 said:
Khan will fight the career most British fighters fight.He'll be well looked after and look good against half decent opposition.Before long he'll fight in the States and probably fight someone he can beat and look good against to get the Yanks interested and the purse for the next fight increased.Ultimately he'll take the next step up and bang.Goodnight Vienna,seen it all before.

In recent years Lennox Lewis and Joe Calzaghe have been exceptions to this,but like a few people on here,i still believe that chin is suspect and he'll drop like Christiano Ronaldo in a penalty box,first time he gets a good clout on it.
That's why he's exciting though. He has a weak chin, but he has the skills to go far. He can certainly emulate Hatton and if he goes to the States early and makes an impression he could even emulate Calzaghe. I know Calzaghe retired undefeated and Khan can't, however Calzaghe didn't really take risks until then end of his career. If Khan can get some good wins on his resume, he can use it as a spring board to superstardom. he has the right trainer and he has a style that the Americans should take to.
Calzaghe was avoided by the big names when he first went to world level. He was supposed to fight Steve Collins and he pulled out claiming he wanted Roy Jones Jnr. That then lead to the Eubank fight. Hopkins could of fought him years before it happend as well but he pulled out of the fight. Then you had the German fighter who never wanted any of Calzaghe. Calzaghe fought some hard fights Robin Reid was in his prime in the early days. Then he had hard fights with Benn and Eubank all those could bang and did bang unlike Khan Calzaghe has had hand problems which ruled him out for a lot of time after fights. The best UK Fighter I have seen by far.

leighton said:
ono said:
That's why he's exciting though. He has a weak chin, but he has the skills to go far. He can certainly emulate Hatton and if he goes to the States early and makes an impression he could even emulate Calzaghe. I know Calzaghe retired undefeated and Khan can't, however Calzaghe didn't really take risks until then end of his career. If Khan can get some good wins on his resume, he can use it as a spring board to superstardom. he has the right trainer and he has a style that the Americans should take to.
Calzaghe was avoided by the big names when he first went to world level. He was supposed to fight Steve Collins and he pulled out claiming he wanted Roy Jones Jnr. That then lead to the Eubank fight. Hopkins could of fought him years before it happend as well but he pulled out of the fight. Then you had the German fighter who never wanted any of Calzaghe. Calzaghe fought some hard fights Robin Reid was in his prime in the early days. Then he had hard fights with Benn and Eubank all those could bang and did bang unlike Khan Calzaghe has had hand problems which ruled him out for a lot of time after fights. The best UK Fighter I have seen by far.
Calzaghe never fought Nigel Benn. I actually fought he lost the Reid fight.

I know Hopkins pulled out, a day after he verbally agreed, sighting that if he were to fight in the UK he wanted double the money. But my point was, Calzaghe could have gone over to the States and forced a fight with Roy Jones or Hopkins instead of wasting his time with the mandatories like Veit, Salem, Ashira...etc. It's without doubt that his best wins came at the tail end of his career, and in hindsight don't look that good. Eubank was a great win but even he took the fight at short notice and was weight-drained. The Roy Jones win meant zero, the win over Kessler now looks just ok considering what Andre Ward has just done to him. Jeff Lacy has been severley dominated by both Jermain Taylor and Roy Jones - although you could argue that Calzaghe perhaps ruined him. On the other hand you could argue he was vastly over-hyped (he was).

Calzaghe was a great fighter, it just frustrates me that he didn't take career risks until he got to the back end of his career.

Ono we will agree to disagree. The wins Calzaghe had over the likes of Kessler and Lacey were top not many people fancy Joe to beat Lacey same about Kessler loads tought that would be a step too far for him. But Joe made them look bad. Lacey never recovered from his beating. Kessler I was shocked he got beat but that Super 6 has a load of top talent I dont think anyone will come out of that unbeaten. B-Hop was still on his game and is still to this day in the top 5 P4P fighters out there at this moment despite his age. He destroyed Pavlik since the Calzaghe fight. It is a shame Joe has missed out on the Super Six but it was killing him to get down to the weight if he was 6 years younger he would be in that ahead of Froch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.