An Open Letter to Mr Osborne

BoyBlue_1985 said:
twinkletoes said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Are you veering towards becoming a conspiracy theorist now?

In what way is that a theory?

-- Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:36 am --

metalblue said:
I do hope so...this thread was dying

Do you know much about the MF Global "scandal"?

I've heard it involved the futures market and that all their clients money has disappeared and cant be recovered.

Know about it. It was metals idea, he is sipping pina coladas on sunset boulevard lighting Cuban cigars with $100 bills
He is laughing at us

You still able to make the yacht in Monaco this weekend?

twinkle;

Listed business works something like this:

Client deposits money to allow to trade (pretty much the initial margin)
Client trades (and pays a commission to bank/broker)
Bank/broker executes trade on exchange
Bank/broker pays to exchange margin requirements for client trade.
Once trade is "open" the client continues to pay any extra money to cover potential market movements called variation margin (or they can withdraw money).

Nice and simple. Now clients have "option" of being segregated or non segregated, if segregated they have (supposedly) a bit more protection in the event of bankruptcy as the money is held at exchange seperately from the general firms books but the downside is that the costs for trading are much higher with a segregated account. So if I have 2 non-segregated clients their margin requirements (can) offset one another at exchange but as the broker/bank I (rightly) ask them to BOTH deposit their margin requirements, therefore if client A buys something and client B sells exactly the same thing I don't have any exchange margin requirement but both clients will give me money to cover the individual requirements.

So now I find myself in a situation of holding client money...now banks/brokers deal with 1,000s of customers doing this sort of business and you can see how they can end up with a big pot of cash just sitting there. Naturally they want to do something with that money to earn "something" from it, typical the preferred transaction is to lend it out overnight/short-term to the treasury markets however when overnight interest rates are about 0 I will receive nothing so in this case I might look to use some (not all because my clients may want to withdraw cash) to "buy" government debt (I do this as the regulators told me it was "risk free" in other words as good as holding cash). Now as a firm I have earnt commission and interest from this operation, I want to take "my" money and make it work for me so I trade commodities/stocks/etc...now in a well managed firm the risks I take on these trades do not outweigh that pot of money I have accumulated. This is a very simplistic view of the business and there are many different types of trades/account types etc that add extra levels of risk and complexity.

Sometimes things can go wrong (credit crisis/asian crisis/etc etc) and these can create highly irregular market movements putting a firm at risk as it does not have funds to cover it's margin payments/market gets scared/nobody trades/clients want to withdraw money all at once/etc etc but risk should ensure that there is enough spare cash to handle such events and positions aren't left to run. In MF's case IIRC they took a hit on sovereign debt which was probably (partly) purchased with client deposits (as did many firms but they had the money to take the loss themselves whereas MF perhaps over extended themselves), there then becomes the question about if they used client money to cover their own margin requirements or for other purposes and so on and so forth and I am not privy to enough details to be able to validate such accusations. Time will tell how much of the money is recoverable or clients can be made good from various guarantees/goodwill.

I heard that the MF clients had segregated funds that went missing and they still wont get a bean out of it.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Why does this particular case mean trouble for the whole of the futures market then

If people dont think they will get any of their money back then they wont want to invest.

twinkletoes said:
I heard that the MF clients had segregated funds that went missing and they still wont get a bean out of it.

You heard wrong then mate...seg clients have a claim against the client money pool at a first level (unlike nonseg) so they will clearly get something - indeed they have already been paid out on the clear client funds recovered. As more money is returned and other non-client claims are dismissed more will be available. Beyond this all clients (if eligible) can claim against the compensation pool although this is capped.

metalblue said:
twinkletoes said:

You heard wrong then mate...seg clients have a claim against the client money pool at a first level (unlike nonseg) so they will clearly get something - indeed they have already been paid out on the clear client funds recovered. As more money is returned and other non-client claims are dismissed more will be available. Beyond this all clients (if eligible) can claim against the compensation pool although this is capped.

I thought that MF had misappropriated their clients' segregated funds to cover their own losses and that money couldnt be accounted for.

So you are saying they were actually paid out as per the rules?

It is still something highly dodgy for them to do that though?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.newwilberforce.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.newwilberforce.co.uk/</a>

twinkletoes said:
metalblue said:
twinkletoes said:

I thought that MF had misappropriated their clients' segregated funds to cover their own losses and that money couldnt be accounted for.

So you are saying they were actually paid out as per the rules?

It is still something highly dodgy for them to do that though?

No mate what I am saying is MF have paid out clients the recovered sums so far...right now clients are still out of pocket as not all money has been recovered (and it is possible no more money will be recovered) additionally MF are facing various claims which may mean clients receive no more money directly from MF (there are compensation schemes some clients will have eligibility for). How much money was misappropriated/incorrectly utilised is not yet known and anyone found guilty of such action should (and will) face prison.

Cheers for that. One more thing if you don't mind. Have you heard about JP Morgan rigging the silver market?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.