And so the glorious summer begins.

tonea2003 said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
Having no money means you are fucked, as for how the outside world looks upoin us, it really matters not. Cast your mind back to the days of SGE and we shopped in the same market as Portsmouth and Boro, now its Inter and Barcelona.

not disputing that for one second, shopping in harrods instead of netto gives you a certain cudos i suppose, but nothing matters until silverware arrives. we are also rans, rich also rans, but also rans never the less
I understand you view, but if your a player would you sooner sign for City or say....... Blackburn or even Leeds both have had more success over the last 15 20 years? In otherwords at what point does success in the past really matter for a player signing for a club on the 3rd of June 2010?

tonea2003 said:
not disputing that for one second, shopping in harrods instead of netto gives you a certain cudos i suppose, but nothing matters until silverware arrives. we are also rans, rich also rans, but also rans never the less
I understand you view, but if your a player would you sooner sign for City or say....... Blackburn or even Leeds both have had more success over the last 15 20 years? In otherwords at what point does success in the past really matter for a player signing for a club on the 3rd of June 2010?

again agree, of course a player will sign for us over a blackburn or a leeds etc as there is a greater potential to achieve and there is the financial aspect which will swing it.
but until we start turning that potential into anything we can't be rated with the "sky top 4" because that's where we need to be, given what's been/is invested.
it will happen i'm pretty sure of it, but until then.......

tonea2003 said:

again agree, of course a player will sign for us over a blackburn or a leeds etc as there is a greater potential to achieve and there is the financial aspect which will swing it.
but until we start turning that potential into anything we can't be rated with the "sky top 4" because that's where we need to be, given what's been/is invested.
would you say the "sky 4" are still Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and the rags??? Or would you move Spurs in? Does in become a "sky 5" with them added?

tonea2003 said:
would you say the "sky 4" are still Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and the rags??? Or would you move Spurs in? Does in become a "sky 5" with them added?

i see what you are saying, but for now i would stay with the traditional "sky 4"
as they are the ones with the recent trophy history, less a spurs carling cup win. but if arsenal and liverpool carry on there trophyless runs things will change, hopefully thats where we come in by winning a pot or two

tonea2003 said:

Blackburn or Leeds won't be approaching the players we have in mind, so that doesn't come into the equasion. Europe's elite, the one's with money, is who we compete with in the transfer market, these days. We need to fend of some serious competition if these clubs go for the same players.

Impeccable said:

Blackburn or Leeds won't be approaching the players we have in mind, so that doesn't come into the equasion. Europe's elite, the one's with money, is who we compete with in the transfer market, these days. We need to fend of some serious competition if these clubs go for the same players.
right past success matters less than money on the table. Or perhaps what I should say is, money gets you to the table, without it your past success is not important.

I am just hoping that what has happened to the scousers this year is repeated next summer with the demise of the rags in a similar fashion.

kiam06 said:
Personally I think we've missed the boat by not getting 4th spot but I hope I'm wrong.

We missed out for this seasons Champions League, but so what? this is about the next 25 years for us not this season, next season or the season after! unfortunately the media are too short sighted to realise that!

Even if we'd'v got 4th we still wouldn't get the worlds best, they only go to the very top clubs really - what world star have Arsenal bought in the last few years? When was the last time Sevilla bought a world class player? who did Everton buy when they got 4th? which world star will go to Sampodoria this summer after they've just finished 4th?
asnwers are: nobody! Champion players go to champion clubs not to half decent clubs! So we'll be in for the same players we would have been had we finished 4th! But it's when we start finishing 2nd when we should get really excited!

danburge82 said:
kiam06 said:
Personally I think we've missed the boat by not getting 4th spot but I hope I'm wrong.

We missed out for this seasons Champions League, but so what? this is about the next 25 years for us not this season, next season or the season after! unfortunately the media are too short sighted to realise that!

Even if we'd'v got 4th we still wouldn't get the worlds best, they only go to the very top clubs really - what world star have Arsenal bought in the last few years? When was the last time Sevilla bought a world class player? who did Everton buy when they got 4th? which world star will go to Sampodoria this summer after they've just finished 4th?
asnwers are: nobody! Champion players go to champion clubs not to half decent clubs! So we'll be in for the same players we would have been had we finished 4th! But it's when we start finishing 2nd when we should get really excited!

Good point actually...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.