anfield and goodison park.

I've got mates who are both Everton & Liverpool fans. Good lads who know their stuff.

As for the teams, both steeped in history, both more successful than City.

Everton were the only team during the mid 80's to challenge Liverpool. Probably the 2 best teams in Europe around '85.
Been watching the 80's derby matches on ESPN this week and that's as good as it gets. Heaving crowds, fans mixed in and players fighting for every ball.

I went to Goodison for the CL play-off against Villareal and it was great to go to an old style ground with pubs, chippies etc near the ground. Just like we had at Maine Road.

Unfortunately, it's now all about money. City had 2 massive strokes of luck. Getting the new stadium & the ADUG investment. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to compete.

You cannot compare the money John Moores gave to Everton to the amount City have had at their disposal , Record signing Alan Ball was bought for £200k which is equivalent to spending £4m in to days terms , he was paid £200/week .. players of his time had to sell their medals to provide a living , oh yes you asked about academy playes making debuts ... Hibbert , Vaughan , Osman , Anichebe , Rodwell , Baxter , Bidwell , Duffy , Wallace , Rooney , Fox , Forshaw ... all of these in Moyes's tenure because just before those there was Jeffers , Dunne , Michael Ball , Even Jagielka and Baines were released from our academy and bought back ,

Maybe I am being nostalgic but you'll never see another team like the 1970 Brazil team or the '74 Dutch players ..None of todays player will ever be as good as Pele or Cruyff , Our best player mikel Arteta is nowhere near as good as Bally .. Do you have a better player than Colin Bell ? Frannie Lee ? Or even Peter Barnes when he was on blob ? ... I know I'll never see a better keeper than Neville Southall

There may be more money but there are few better teams and despite what Sky rams down your throat the football is not as exciting

arthur said:
You cannot compare the money John Moores gave to Everton to the amount City have had at their disposal , Record signing Alan Ball was bought for £200k which is equivalent to spending £4m in to days terms , he was paid £200/week .. players of his time had to sell their medals to provide a living , oh yes you asked about academy playes making debuts ... Hibbert , Vaughan , Osman , Anichebe , Rodwell , Baxter , Bidwell , Duffy , Wallace , Rooney , Fox , Forshaw ... all of these in Moyes's tenure because just before those there was Jeffers , Dunne , Michael Ball , Even Jagielka and Baines were released from our academy and bought back ,

Maybe I am being nostalgic but you'll never see another team like the 1970 Brazil team or the '74 Dutch players ..None of todays player will ever be as good as Pele or Cruyff , Our best player mikel Arteta is nowhere near as good as Bally .. Do you have a better player than Colin Bell ? Frannie Lee ? Or even Peter Barnes when he was on blob ? ... I know I'll never see a better keeper than Neville Southall

There may be more money but there are few better teams and despite what Sky rams down your throat the football is not as exciting

You are being nostalgic.

Footballers are as talented, if not more talented, than they were in the past. It's just that they are now paid too much and you can't relate to them as well.

arthur said:

Nice to see you dodged the actual points I made!

Whether Moores spent as much as our owners is not up for question... but the fact remains that you spent proportionately more than other similar sized clubs at the time as you had the backing that others didn't.

It's all relative.

And your list of youth players making their debuts, I pointed out that we had seven in the past two years, whereas you quote yours over the past EIGHT years!

If we include the past eight years I would be up to about 20 for us!!!

Anyway, I was only quoting the debuts as a prompt to some idiotic Everton fans thinking we are a team made up almost totally of signings.

I mean, even Everton's glory team of the mid-80's was made up of all your youth team weren't they... Mountfield, Van Den Hauwe, Stevens, Reid, Bracewell, Sheedy, Gray, Sharp, Heath,... yeah, all youth products!!!

Football is far more athletic, and the players are technically far superior to when I first started watching City.

Peter Barnes was one of my favourite players, but AJ is as exciting to watch

arthur said:

You cannot compare the money John Moores gave to Everton to the amount City have had at their disposal
Yes you can,the huge amounts of money the moores family pumped into everton & liverpool allowed both clubs to enter a period where they won countles trophys.
Liverpool in the late 50's were a poorly supported 2nd division team until the pools money started to pour in,they didn't win the fa cup till 1966 & failed to win a trophy in Europe until the 70's.
As for "moneybags"everton they were just entering the 22nd yr of not winning a trophy when Moores took control of everton in 1961 the 1st job was to sack the manager on the spot plough money into them & guess what happened next ?
The money these 2 clubs had access to in the late 50/60's changed the History of both clubs & don't let anyone kid you it didn't.

bluemanc said:
arthur said:

You cannot compare the money John Moores gave to Everton to the amount City have had at their disposal
Yes you can,the huge amounts of money the moores family pumped into everton & liverpool allowed both clubs to enter a period where they won countles trophys.
Liverpool in the late 50's were a poorly supported 2nd division team until the pools money started to pour in,they didn't win the fa cup till 1966 & failed to win a trophy in Europe until the 70's.
As for "moneybags"everton they were just entering the 22nd yr of not winning a trophy when Moores took control of everton in 1961 the 1st job was to sack the manager on the spot plough money into them & guess what happened next ?
The money these 2 clubs had access to in the late 50/60's changed the History of both clubs & don't let anyone kid you it didn't.

Superb comeback!

I have been wittering on about this for ages, that the scousers clearly don't know "their history", even though they sing about knowing it!

Money wins trophies. It did for the scousers in the 70's and 80's, it did for Blackburn, it did for the Rags, it did for Chelsea...

So it's just our turn, that's all...

Marvin said:
Football is far more athletic, and the players are technically far superior to when I first started watching City.

Peter Barnes was one of my favourite players, but AJ is as exciting to watch

yep me too mate

Besides I'm hardly likely to stop going now just because an everton fan hankers for the good old days when they had more money! lol

Oh and a record breaking signing that other clubs couldn't match was the same then as it is now regardless of what the values translate to in modern terms.
Hypocrites.

And yes Everton were a far better league team in the 80's but City were a far better team in the 70's. They were better in the 60's but we were better in the 50's. They were better in the noughties but this decade looks good to be ours.

Or lets look at it another way. If everton are historically a bigger club as so many jealous scousers that come on here tell us then shirley that will be reflected by their dominance in the overall all-time City vs everton stats? Here they are:

Manchester City wins draws Everton wins
League 58 39 57
FA Cup 3 3 4
League Cup 1 0 1
Total 62 42 62

So what do we reckon? Much of a muchness?! ;-)

Yes Everton have won slightly more trophies to date but so what? These statistics are there to be changed. Otherwise we could all pack up and go home now as those clubs most threatened by our change in fortunes increasingly sound like they'd like to do. It's my ball and I'm not playing anymore. Boohoo.

Rather than bitching everton should be looking to see how they can change their circumstances to compete in the new era instead of harping on about how things used to be. If I was an evertonian I'd be far more concerned about their neighbours than us. I'd also be thinking that if they could get it right off the field that the gap is narrow and the chance is there just now to turn things around on merseyside again at last.

Respect is a two way street.

Marvin said:
quadvod said:
If I may respond - don't overegg the hostility towards city by evertonians - the internet enables the twats to come on other teams forums abuse all and sundry and give an impression that they're somewhat representative. I go to the match with circa 12-15 mates and the general consensus is good luck to you albeit paying someone who's name isn't messi 220k a week feels like the game's going mad- we'd rather see someone else lifting the title than the utd chelsea bore fest that has occurred in recent times. If/when you've won the title a couple of years on the bounce I'll be hoping someone else comes and knocks you of your perch but that's football.
Fair enough but some of the media talk about City excess is just rubbish. If Yaya Toure gets paid £200k pw City will have won the Treble, and City fans will consider this good business. No doubt if you include win bonuses for Everton players you'd get a similarly ridiculous figure.

With six points from seven games dumped out of the carling cup and about to play the spawniest bastards in history tomorrow i don't think out "win bonuses" will be amounting to much!!

quadvod said:
Marvin said:
Fair enough but some of the media talk about City excess is just rubbish. If Yaya Toure gets paid £200k pw City will have won the Treble, and City fans will consider this good business. No doubt if you include win bonuses for Everton players you'd get a similarly ridiculous figure.

With six points from seven games dumped out of the carling cup and about to play the spawniest bastards in history tomorrow i don't think out "win bonuses" will be amounting to much!!

You know what, for all the bitching between the two of us, I still hope you gub those twats from across the road tomorrow!

It would be nice to see Liverpool second bottom of the table just as the media are going into a frenzy with the new owners!

And anything that can shut that fat fuck Mickey Quinn up is usually good with me...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.