anfield and goodison park.

quadvod said:
Soulboy said:
If you don't mind me saying, but what an absolutely stupid point.

If Goodison held 80,000 would that make a difference when they can't sell out 40,000?
its not quite that simple, goodison has 3-4 thousand restricted views - I'm not talking where you can't see the corner flag I'm talking hug a post time and hope the guy next to you is nice enough to tell you what's going on on the pitch. The club in their infinite wisdom knock a whole pound of the price of these seats - i've got a season ticket but if I didn't I'd think twice about shelling out 30 quid for an utterly shite view. For what its worth I would be extremely surprised if in a new 50k stadium we didn't up our attendances to circa mid 40k's initially before dropping to low 40k's when some of the newbies fuck off when they realise we won't be winning the league - very much like your attendances 2003 to pre takeover

To be honest, I'm not having a pop at Everton's support.. I think it is excellent both home and away.

It's just that too many of your nobheads come on here having a go at City's support when they are clearly ignorant of the facts.

Your support has held up pretty well over the years, but could I just remind you that in the last 35 years you have had a fair bit of success while we have won jack-shit... and you share a city with Liverpool, who haven't won the Premiership in 20 years, while we share a city with the Rags, who have apparently won it every season in that period!

We've sold out most of our away allocations this season, we average getting on for 46,000, so any critiscism of us is a bit rich, given that Everton's average is about 10,000 less.

Mind you, even when you were winning the league, I think we had a bigger support than you even then... ;-)

Soulboy said:
toffeetom said:
Mate that's bollocks, safety reasons prohbit Goodison to about 37K, which tbf we don't always fill.

I'm not trying to make out we have the best fans, but I'm willing to bet if we got a new stadium like you lot did we would see a similar rise in attendance.

Your comment that 37,000 is the maximum is just wrong. Either a lie or ignorance, but wrong.

Let's see what the crowd is for tomorrow's derby game, shall we?

It's actually 39,000 which is sold out for Sunday .
As an aside , I admit to some of my remarks may be a bit ' tongue - in - cheek ' , however I'm not bitter or envious , we are actually a very good team without having spent the megabucks that City , Utd , Liverpoo , or Chelski have , .. I was really saddened to hear of Malcolm Allinson passing away recently and it brought it back to me that I actually used to like City , Colin Bell was an amazing player , I used to enjoy going down the East Lancs to Maine Road and avoiding the battles outside after the game , I loved the atmosphere there but then I am not the biggest fan of the Premier League and even less of Sky who's financial influence means the most money goes to the teams who need it least which IMO will be the eventual demise of the game in this country .. Nowadays , you can't have bosses like Allinson/Mercer , Clough , Shankley , Kendall who all built teams from there acadamies or buying younger lower division " promising " players alongside seasoned Pros to mould the kids together .. Thats gone now , any promising young players are tempted away to the richer clubs and in most cases to sit on the bench because there's a £25m player on £100k a week in the squad ahead of him ........ I could go on but I have to stop .. I might say something else nice about City and we cant have that can we ? :)

blueinsa said:
toffeetom said:
Mate that's bollocks, safety reasons prohbit Goodison to about 37K, which tbf we don't always fill.

I'm not trying to make out we have the best fans, but I'm willing to bet if we got a new stadium like you lot did we would see a similar rise in attendance.

New money and new ground with serious investment in the playing squad would undoubtedly see your crowds rise mate, i have no doubt about that. It goes hand in hand and its called Success.

My point though here about SOME of your fans is not their loyalty, its the sheer hypocrisy and jealousy they are showing on a regular basis by slamming us for our good luck, whilst we all know, they would be knocking one out on a regular basis should you guys ever be lucky enough to receive the backing of a rich owner like ourselves.
If I may respond - don't overegg the hostility towards city by evertonians - the internet enables the twats to come on other teams forums abuse all and sundry and give an impression that they're somewhat representative. I go to the match with circa 12-15 mates and the general consensus is good luck to you albeit paying someone who's name isn't messi 220k a week feels like the game's going mad- we'd rather see someone else lifting the title than the utd chelsea bore fest that has occurred in recent times. If/when you've won the title a couple of years on the bounce I'll be hoping someone else comes and knocks you of your perch but that's football.

Whatever you argue Everton gives the outside impression of an old club in terminal decline, with cobwebs around every corner. Time moves along a lot in football and you are very like us before we left Maine Road - antiquated ground, low capacity, club broke, 'everyone heard of Utd and Liverpool but not us' and any managerial change could signal total disaster.

What is your way out of this quaint, antiquated potential nightmare?

Soulboy said:
quadvod said:
its not quite that simple, goodison has 3-4 thousand restricted views - I'm not talking where you can't see the corner flag I'm talking hug a post time and hope the guy next to you is nice enough to tell you what's going on on the pitch. The club in their infinite wisdom knock a whole pound of the price of these seats - i've got a season ticket but if I didn't I'd think twice about shelling out 30 quid for an utterly shite view. For what its worth I would be extremely surprised if in a new 50k stadium we didn't up our attendances to circa mid 40k's initially before dropping to low 40k's when some of the newbies fuck off when they realise we won't be winning the league - very much like your attendances 2003 to pre takeover

To be honest, I'm not having a pop at Everton's support.. I think it is excellent both home and away.

It's just that too many of your nobheads come on here having a go at City's support when they are clearly ignorant of the facts.

Your support has held up pretty well over the years, but could I just remind you that in the last 35 years you have had a fair bit of success while we have won jack-shit... and you share a city with Liverpool, who haven't won the Premiership in 20 years, while we share a city with the Rags, who have apparently won it every season in that period!

We've sold out most of our away allocations this season, we average getting on for 46,000, so any critiscism of us is a bit rich, given that Everton's average is about 10,000 less.

Mind you, even when you were winning the league, I think we had a bigger support than you even then... ;-)
Not sure about the last sentence although I'm sure you'll be able to back it up with some figures! Don't think any genuine evertonian (or football fan for that matter) would knock you for your support. Its top drawer and always has been - I'd just ignore anyone who says otherwise.

arthur said:
Soulboy said:
Your comment that 37,000 is the maximum is just wrong. Either a lie or ignorance, but wrong.

Let's see what the crowd is for tomorrow's derby game, shall we?

As an aside , I admit to some of my remarks may be a bit ' tongue - in - cheek ' , however I'm not bitter or envious , we are actually a very good team without having spent the megabucks that City , Utd , Liverpoo , or Chelski have , .. I was really saddened to hear of Malcolm Allinson passing away recently and it brought it back to me that I actually used to like City , Colin Bell was an amazing player , I used to enjoy going down the East Lancs to Maine Road and avoiding the battles outside after the game , I loved the atmosphere there but then I am not the biggest fan of the Premier League and even less of Sky who's financial influence means the most money goes to the teams who need it least which IMO will be the eventual demise of the game in this country .. Nowadays , you can't have bosses like Allinson/Mercer , Clough , Shankley , Kendall who all built teams from there acadamies or buying younger lower division " promising " players alongside seasoned Pros to mould the kids together .. Thats gone now , any promising young players are tempted away to the richer clubs and in most cases to sit on the bench because there's a £25m player on £100k a week in the squad ahead of him ........ I could go on but I have to stop .. I might say something else nice about City and we cant have that can we ? :)

Oh please mate, let's have no more of your misty-eyed nostalgic bollocks!

As a lad growing up my memory of Everton was that they were the richest club the country... backed by the Moores family (Littlewoods), one of the wealthiest in the nation, and you routinely bought all the top stars for top wages and fees.

You won leagues and cups based on that approach... now you resent us having the same advantage?

With hypocrisy like that, you should have been a Rag!

And you seem to conveniently forget that we have given debuts to SEVEN youth players in the past couple of years. How many have you given debuts to?

And having to sell your best players? Yeah, we did that for years...<br /><br />-- Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:56 am --<br /><br />
quadvod said:
blueinsa said:
New money and new ground with serious investment in the playing squad would undoubtedly see your crowds rise mate, i have no doubt about that. It goes hand in hand and its called Success.

My point though here about SOME of your fans is not their loyalty, its the sheer hypocrisy and jealousy they are showing on a regular basis by slamming us for our good luck, whilst we all know, they would be knocking one out on a regular basis should you guys ever be lucky enough to receive the backing of a rich owner like ourselves.
If I may respond - don't overegg the hostility towards city by evertonians - the internet enables the twats to come on other teams forums abuse all and sundry and give an impression that they're somewhat representative. I go to the match with circa 12-15 mates and the general consensus is good luck to you albeit paying someone who's name isn't messi 220k a week feels like the game's going mad- we'd rather see someone else lifting the title than the utd chelsea bore fest that has occurred in recent times. If/when you've won the title a couple of years on the bounce I'll be hoping someone else comes and knocks you of your perch but that's football.

I like your responses, to be fair.

But the Everton fans view of us has changed in the last couple of years. We used to be kindred spirits and brothers-in-arms in hating our respective red rivals.

I know a fair few Evertonians (and even had some links with your brilliant fanzine When Skies are Grey) and over the years we have had great banter. We used to meet up at Goodison and have a drink and we'd all wallow together in our unfairness and misery!

But that has changed, whether you like it or not.

Even my previous friendships with Evertonians has taken on a bitter edge, where they now wish us nothing but failure and are quick to have a pop at any thing they can pick up on.

So, no, it's not just Internet geeks spoiling it, I genuinely do believe that you, more than any other club, has taken our good fortune (and that's all it is) far worse than any other club's fans.

Soulboy said:
arthur said:

As a lad growing up my memory of Everton was that they were the richest club the country... backed by the Moores family (Littlewoods), one of the wealthiest in the nation, and you routinely bought all the top stars for top wages and fees.

You won leagues and cups based on that approach... now you resent us having the same advantage?

And you seem to conveniently forget that we have given debuts to SEVEN youth players in the past couple of years. How many have you given debuts to?

And having to sell your best players? Yeah, we did that for years...
I remember city not being short of a bob or two - malcolm allison (rip) and million pound players springs to mind a good 14-15 years before we spent as much on a player<br /><br />-- Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:26 am --<br /><br />
Soulboy said:
arthur said:

-- Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:56 am --

quadvod said:

But the Everton fans view of us has changed in the last couple of years. We used to be kindred spirits and brothers-in-arms in hating our respective red rivals.

I know a fair few Evertonians (and even had some links with your brilliant fanzine When Skies are Grey) and over the years we have had great banter. We used to meet up at Goodison and have a drink and we'd all wallow together in our unfairness and misery!

Even my previous friendships with Evertonians has taken on a bitter edge, where they now wish us nothing but failure and are quick to have a pop at any thing they can pick up on.

So, no, it's not just Internet geeks spoiling it, I genuinely do believe that you, more than any other club, has taken our good fortune (and that's all it is) far worse than any other club's fans.
If we're talking subtle shifts in attitudes I'd agree - disagree if you're talking outright hostility. Who wouldn't feel a pang of jealousy if their next door neighbour won the lottery.The relationship between fans has been complicated by the behaviour of both clubs re lescott,the perceived usurping of our position as club most likely to break the top 4 (never believed we would myself) and the bewilderment that no-one seems even vaguely interested in buying the club. This bewilderment has led to a number of fans regressing back to a "wishing for a return to the good old days when stafford rangers could come up through the divisions and win the league etc.."mentality - times that never existed. This in itself turns into a "footballs rotten, its all about the money" "sky's ruined the game" - in summary a railing about how the game has evolved rather than how we have failed to evolve with it.City and their new found wealth are (to some eyes) the perfect manifestation of the ills in the game. The brighter evertonians(there are some!!) can see that the clubs biggest problem is not the paucity of money but of vision. Vision that seems to emanate from every pore of your board.In a sense I'm jealous I suppose but not in the obvious "why can't we buy adam johnson he's fucking ace sort of way".Apologies for length of piece - good namecheck re wsag - cracking fanzine

I'm sorry but what do you expect when nearly ever comment is scouse twat, dipper this, dipper that. Look on Everton and Liverpool forums whilst you may see something like munich you won't see us start writing offensive things about Manchester. I'm willing to speak to any football fans but naturally when half the comments are insulting Everton few Everton fans or any other teams fans are going to come on here to compliment you. I work with many City fans who I share lots of banter with but at least they excpet their failures as I do. I know City have a better team than Everton and Moyes isn't that good a manager but to start saying that City have a much larger support is ridiculous and that Everton don't fill goodsion is ridiculous. As I despise United, Liverpool and the geordies I quite like reading many of the funny posts. Admittedly this site is far better than our forum or sites so fair play to you. To start forgetting your history is ridiculous. I always considered City a loyal tight knit following that mostly represented working class manchester. But I don't ever remember you being a club like United, Newcastle or us in our heyday taking thousands. While Maine road was never empty it certainly was full to capacity most games. Citys support has greatly increased over the last few years so yes you probably will end up with more supporters than us.

quadvod said:
Soulboy said:

I remember city not being short of a bob or two - malcolm allison (rip) and million pound players springs to mind a good 14-15 years before we spent as much on a player

-- Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:26 am --

Soulboy said:

-- Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:56 am --

If we're talking subtle shifts in attitudes I'd agree - disagree if you're talking outright hostility. Who wouldn't feel a pang of jealousy if their next door neighbour won the lottery.The relationship between fans has been complicated by the behaviour of both clubs re lescott,the perceived usurping of our position as club most likely to break the top 4 (never believed we would myself) and the bewilderment that no-one seems even vaguely interested in buying the club. This bewilderment has led to a number of fans regressing back to a "wishing for a return to the good old days when stafford rangers could come up through the divisions and win the league etc.."mentality - times that never existed. This in itself turns into a "footballs rotten, its all about the money" "sky's ruined the game" - in summary a railing about how the game has evolved rather than how we have failed to evolve with it.City and their new found wealth are (to some eyes) the perfect manifestation of the ills in the game. The brighter evertonians(there are some!!) can see that the clubs biggest problem is not the paucity of money but of vision. Vision that seems to emanate from every pore of your board.In a sense I'm jealous I suppose but not in the obvious "why can't we buy adam johnson he's fucking ace sort of way".Apologies for length of piece - good namecheck re wsag - cracking fanzine

Excellent riposte. Can't disagree with much, if any, of that.

I agree that too many Evertonians seem to blame us for landing the lottery, rather than looking at what you can do to get better.

Even Moyes has now suggested sharing a stadium, and if you or the red shite have any pretensions of ever getting back to challenging at the top then this has to be literally forced through.

But I do disagree with your... "envy at the neighbour winning the lottery" view... I'd actually be pleased for them..., and hope that they might bung something my way... in much the same way we did with you by giving you £22m for Lescott!

quadvod said:
blueinsa said:

Fair enough but some of the media talk about City excess is just rubbish. If Yaya Toure gets paid £200k pw City will have won the Treble, and City fans will consider this good business. No doubt if you include win bonuses for Everton players you'd get a similarly ridiculous figure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.